Old 29-10-2014, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant identification request

Good morning all,

As per title, I wonder if anyone has some ideas about the plant pictures in
the following link?

http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/CharlesJF/library/

It was bought at a local fair in the spring, un-named, and planted out. It
grew steadily, did nothing particularly interesting, and reached 6 foot plus
by the end of the summer. This month it grew loads of bulbs, and burst into
flower as in the photos. It has a single stiff main stem, feathery leaves,
and had tight dark red buds about 12 to 14mm diameter before flowering

At Wisley RHS I spotted a molopommesia peloponnesiacum, which looked
similar, and had the same bud formation - not flowering at the time.
However, looking it up this doesn't seem a good match for flower colour,
plant size, etc. Googling for characteristics hasn't got me very far either.

We'd like to keep it, if it's a perennial, or get another in the spring if
it is an annual, as it's a welcome splash of colour at a time when most
other plants are heading for winter.

Thanks for your help,

Charles F

---

Old 29-10-2014, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/10/2014 10:09, Charles F wrote:
[...]

protection is active.

Try Cosmos
Old 29-10-2014, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

[...]

Well, Charles, that's a good try for your first-ever usenet post to a
gardening group.

Try Cosmos

The photo looks like cosmos.
However that would not fit with "loads of bulbs" and his ability to
look up "molopommesia peloponnesiacum" which google has never heard of
and won't even take a guess at.... so I suggest it's a new form of
Trollius lunifoolia.
Plant it deep and mulch well with manure.
Janet

Old 29-10-2014, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, that looks like it - and cosmos likes poor soil and heat - both of
which it got this summer.

Thanks!

Charles F

---

Old 29-10-2014, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
t...
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

[...]

I think that cosmos is right though. Hadn't spotted that the spellchecker
had converted my attempt at "buds" into bulbs!

Charles F

---

Old 29-10-2014, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-10-29 12:48:00 +0000, Charles F said:

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Certainly Cosmos which is a most attractive plant. There's a lovely
white one called 'Purity', too. I wonder if the plant you saw was
Molopospermum peloponnesiacum? It's nothing like Cosmos so perhaps
you've mis-remembered, or the plant you saw was next door to the
jawbreaker! You might have taken one label for another's plant.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-10-2014, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-10-29 12:48:00 +0000, Charles F said:

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Sacha, I suspect that your last guess was indeed the case.

Thanks for the white version though - we'll look out for that.

Charles F

---

Old 29-10-2014, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/10/2014 10:47, David wrote:
[...]

Specifically Cosmos bipinnatus.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 30-10-2014, 01:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 12:37:15 -0000, Janet wrote:

"molopommesia peloponnesiacum" which google has never heard of
and won't even take a guess at

Janet I think you do the OP an injustice:
http://tinyurl.com/oe6hf4a

which is Molopospermum peloponnesiacum.

The name he posted was molopommesia

Janet
Old 30-10-2014, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

"molopommesia peloponnesiacum" which google has never heard of
and won't even take a guess at

Janet I think you do the OP an injustice:
http://tinyurl.com/oe6hf4a

which is Molopospermum peloponnesiacum.

The name he posted was molopommesia

Which is exactly the sort of mistake a mere human would make.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.