Old 31-10-2014, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What a finish!

We've had ceaseless sunshine all day today. It really is quite
beautiful and still warm, too. I've just been down the garden to
photograph what we think is a Camellia sinensis and the bees are busy
on it, too.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 31-10-2014, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

We've had ceaseless sunshine all day today. It really is quite beautiful
and still warm, too. I've just been down the garden to photograph what we
think is a Camellia sinensis and the bees are busy on it, too.

Yes we were about to take a walk around the Savill Garden in the sunshine
but realised we had a problem when we got to the car park barrier, it
refused to work. On checking, the car park pass and our cards they were all
out of date, should have been renewed 1st Sept, so we drove back home to see
if we had just forgotten to change the cards. No new cards at home and the
DD hadn't been charged so phoned them. Turns out they changed their DD
system in May and we, amongst others I suspect, got dropped off.
So much for a nice walk in the sunshine!
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 31-10-2014, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-10-31 14:45:46 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

We've had ceaseless sunshine all day today. It really is quite
beautiful and still warm, too. I've just been down the garden to
photograph what we think is a Camellia sinensis and the bees are busy
on it, too.

Yes we were about to take a walk around the Savill Garden in the
sunshine but realised we had a problem when we got to the car park
barrier, it refused to work. On checking, the car park pass and our
cards they were all out of date, should have been renewed 1st Sept, so
we drove back home to see if we had just forgotten to change the cards.
No new cards at home and the DD hadn't been charged so phoned them.
Turns out they changed their DD system in May and we, amongst others I
suspect, got dropped off.
So much for a nice walk in the sunshine!

Oh that's bad luck! They should have let you in anyway.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 31-10-2014, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/10/2014 14:15, Sacha wrote:
We've had ceaseless sunshine all day today. It really is quite beautiful
and still warm, too. I've just been down the garden to photograph what
we think is a Camellia sinensis and the bees are busy on it, too.

We've had a lovely day here, too, Sacha. I've only just come in from
the garden .. and then reluctantly because I couldn't see what I was
doing any more! Couldn't do what I wanted to do because I've strained a
muscle, so I've been flinching all day just doing some light pruning and
weeding, but still pleased with what I cleared.

Didn't see any bees today, but we've had lots till quite recently, so I
expect I missed them today because I was clearing flowerless areas.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 31-10-2014, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote

We've had ceaseless sunshine all day today. It really is quite beautiful
and still warm, too. I've just been down the garden to photograph what
we think is a Camellia sinensis and the bees are busy on it, too.

Yes we were about to take a walk around the Savill Garden in the sunshine
but realised we had a problem when we got to the car park barrier, it
refused to work. On checking, the car park pass and our cards they were
all out of date, should have been renewed 1st Sept, so we drove back home
to see if we had just forgotten to change the cards. No new cards at home
and the DD hadn't been charged so phoned them. Turns out they changed
their DD system in May and we, amongst others I suspect, got dropped off.
So much for a nice walk in the sunshine!

Oh that's bad luck! They should have let you in anyway.

I'm sure they would have done if we had talked to them it but we wanted to
see if any new cards were at home although neither of us could remember
getting any. Anyway, once sorted on the phone we went back, by which time
our electronic cards were working again, and managed a walk around but it
was beginning to get cooler by then.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 31-10-2014, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Well we have only just closed the Patio Doors and it's dark.

Superb day here on the south East Coast of the Isle of Wight

Mike

Those who have contacted me,
don't be so impatient,
an advert will be here soon ;-)
Thanks for your kind comments following the attacks :-)

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message ...

"Sacha" wrote

"Sacha" wrote

Old 31-10-2014, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/10/2014 17:01, Spider wrote:
On 31/10/2014 14:15, Sacha wrote:
We've had ceaseless sunshine all day today. It really is quite beautiful
and still warm, too. I've just been down the garden to photograph what
we think is a Camellia sinensis and the bees are busy on it, too.

We've had a lovely day here, too, Sacha. I've only just come in from
the garden .. and then reluctantly because I couldn't see what I was
doing any more! Couldn't do what I wanted to do because I've strained a
muscle, so I've been flinching all day just doing some light pruning and
weeding, but still pleased with what I cleared.

Didn't see any bees today, but we've had lots till quite recently, so I
expect I missed them today because I was clearing flowerless areas.

No Bees?
Does that mean you didn't get a snack as you worked?
Liked the BBC 4 visit to your house on Wednesday evening, very interesting.
Planted up a couple of troughs, and re potted a couple of things. then
gathered a few more dahlia seed heads (Cut and labeled).
I see that D. Imperialis
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ralis2811a.jpg
and D. Tenuicaulis
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps9cd31ecc.jpg
both have flower buds so if things go well in about 3 to 4 weeks there
could be flowers.
My Morning glory started well inside, in fact to well so I had to
untangle them before planting out.
Once planted they went backwards and over about 3 weeks they all died.
Did have a nice show a few years back when I grew them through a clump
of bamboo.
David @ an amazingly rain free side of Swansea bay, but I doubt it will
last much longer.
Old 31-10-2014, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 14:15:37 +0000, Sacha wrote:

We've had ceaseless sunshine all day today. It really is quite beautiful
and still warm, too. I've just been down the garden to photograph what
we think is a Camellia sinensis and the bees are busy on it, too.

A stunning day here too, so glad you had the same!

Picked up a replacement belt for the tractor this afternoon, only to find
it too short. But my doughty neighbour actually managed to produce --
and in pretty good nick too -- a belt that would do the job! Still the
repair took up much of the late afternoon and I only got an hour or so on
the tractor. But can't complain really: 21C, a brisk breeze with full
sun, and didn't strip a single bolt on the old girl!

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 31-10-2014, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message ...

A stunning day here too, so glad you had the same!

Picked up a replacement belt for the tractor this afternoon, only to find
it too short. But my doughty neighbour actually managed to produce --
and in pretty good nick too -- a belt that would do the job! Still the
repair took up much of the late afternoon and I only got an hour or so on
the tractor. But can't complain really: 21C, a brisk breeze with full
sun, and didn't strip a single bolt on the old girl!

First year that I can recall that a real poppy has been flowering in the
garden in November ! (assuming it survives the next few hours)

Pete (jn Cheshire)

Old 31-10-2014, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/10/2014 17:36, David wrote:
On 31/10/2014 17:01, Spider wrote:
On 31/10/2014 14:15, Sacha wrote:
We've had ceaseless sunshine all day today. It really is quite beautiful
and still warm, too. I've just been down the garden to photograph what
we think is a Camellia sinensis and the bees are busy on it, too.

We've had a lovely day here, too, Sacha. I've only just come in from
the garden .. and then reluctantly because I couldn't see what I was
doing any more! Couldn't do what I wanted to do because I've strained a
muscle, so I've been flinching all day just doing some light pruning and
weeding, but still pleased with what I cleared.

Didn't see any bees today, but we've had lots till quite recently, so I
expect I missed them today because I was clearing flowerless areas.

No Bees?
Does that mean you didn't get a snack as you worked?

Nope. Not even a 'fly' biscuit.

Liked the BBC 4 visit to your house on Wednesday evening, very interesting.

Yes, it really was interesting, wasn't it. We were glued to it. I wish
they'd shown a few more interesting spiders, such as Pisaura mirabilis
with its nursery web; Pardosa mothers with their young on their back;
Scytodes, the spitting spider and Dysdera crocata whose chelicerae and
fangs are designed to chomp on woodlice ... I could go on. Never mind.
It was most enjoyable.

Planted up a couple of troughs, and re potted a couple of things. then
gathered a few more dahlia seed heads (Cut and labeled).
I see that D. Imperialis
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ralis2811a.jpg
and D. Tenuicaulis
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps9cd31ecc.jpg

both have flower buds so if things go well in about 3 to 4 weeks there
could be flowers.
My Morning glory started well inside, in fact to well so I had to
untangle them before planting out.
Once planted they went backwards and over about 3 weeks they all died.
Did have a nice show a few years back when I grew them through a clump
of bamboo.
David @ an amazingly rain free side of Swansea bay, but I doubt it will
last much longer.

It's great that you've still got the promise of dahlia flowers. I've
cut mine back now. I wasn't expecting this warm weather to continue:~(.
Pity about your Morning Glory dying. I really must give them a try and
see how I get on, and how the weather affects them.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 02-11-2014, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We've had ceaseless sunshine all day today. It really is quite
beautiful and still warm, too. I've just been down the garden to
photograph what we think is a Camellia sinensis and the bees are busy
on it, too.

Lucky you! Uninterrupted fog/drizzle/light rain down here for the last
few days. Really murky and miserable. Cleared today, but grey overcast
skies, chilly and windy.

Post a picture of your C. sinensis? I have one, but too small to
flower so far. Have you tried making a brew? Tregothnan now produce
it. http://tinyurl.com/pc62x49 See your bank manager!

Here's a photo of it. It's pretty certainly C.sinensis var. assamica,
according to another Camellia expert - not Jennifer Trehane.
http://i59.tinypic.com/5oh99u.jpg
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-11-2014, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We've had ceaseless sunshine all day today. It really is quite
beautiful and still warm, too. I've just been down the garden to
photograph what we think is a Camellia sinensis and the bees are busy
on it, too.

Lucky you! Uninterrupted fog/drizzle/light rain down here for the last
few days. Really murky and miserable. Cleared today, but grey overcast
skies, chilly and windy.

Post a picture of your C. sinensis? I have one, but too small to
flower so far. Have you tried making a brew? Tregothnan now produce
it. http://tinyurl.com/pc62x49 See your bank manager!

Here's a photo of it. It's pretty certainly C.sinensis var. assamica,
according to another Camellia expert - not Jennifer Trehane.
http://i59.tinypic.com/5oh99u.jpg

Oh _very_ nice. Mine's only about 18" high, and the leaves are small,
only 1 - 1½ " long, so it's got a way to go yet. Bought at Trevena X
nursery down the road; don't know where they got their stock from, but
perhaps Tregothnan is propagating them for more that just their own
use.

We can take no credit for ours! Hyams must have planted it and he was
very Camellia minded. He wrote a book about growing them with Neil
Treseder and seems to have obtained or swapped with a lot of west
country gardeners, including Agatha Christie and the Elmhirsts at
Dartington Hall. The other lovely Camellia that is flowering profusely
this year is C. sasanqua Narumigata.
http://i58.tinypic.com/2sanrki.jpg

and here's the bigger photo of part of the C. sinensis var. assamica
http://i58.tinypic.com/mt55k1.jpg

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com