Old 31-10-2014, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Doubtful Viburnum

Found this plant/shrub yesterday in Morrison s, it had been yellow
stickied to half price pot labeled as Hardy garden plant and the label
was for Viburnum Eve Price (Which is a form of Viburnum tinus).
It's like no viburnum I've ever seen or can find.
I don't know if was a lazy grower thinking it had to have some sort of
label or what (They didn't have any other shrubs there)
The leaves are small as you can see by the 20p (No that's not its fruit)
No scent to them.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps821903cd.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psefbd60cc.jpg
Any one got any ideas?
David @ a still rain free side of Swansea Bay.
Old 31-10-2014, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David wrote:
Found this plant/shrub yesterday in Morrison s, it had been yellow
stickied to half price pot labeled as Hardy garden plant and the label
was for Viburnum Eve Price (Which is a form of Viburnum tinus).
It's like no viburnum I've ever seen or can find.
I don't know if was a lazy grower thinking it had to have some sort of
label or what (They didn't have any other shrubs there)
The leaves are small as you can see by the 20p (No that's not its fruit)
No scent to them.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps821903cd.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psefbd60cc.jpg

Well, it's got opposite leaves! I am sure that I have seen it,
but my best guess is something like Lonicera nitida, or just
possibly a Ceanothus.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-10-2014, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/10/2014 19:12, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
David wrote:
Found this plant/shrub yesterday in Morrison s, it had been yellow
stickied to half price pot labeled as Hardy garden plant and the label
was for Viburnum Eve Price (Which is a form of Viburnum tinus).
It's like no viburnum I've ever seen or can find.
I don't know if was a lazy grower thinking it had to have some sort of
label or what (They didn't have any other shrubs there)
The leaves are small as you can see by the 20p (No that's not its fruit)
No scent to them.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps821903cd.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psefbd60cc.jpg

Well, it's got opposite leaves! I am sure that I have seen it,
but my best guess is something like Lonicera nitida, or just
possibly a Ceanothus.

Don't think it's either of those, the leaf shape is wrong
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...pscdfd5e93.jpg
David

Old 31-10-2014, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David wrote:

Found this plant/shrub yesterday in Morrison s, it had been yellow
stickied to half price pot labeled as Hardy garden plant and the label
was for Viburnum Eve Price (Which is a form of Viburnum tinus).
It's like no viburnum I've ever seen or can find.
I don't know if was a lazy grower thinking it had to have some sort of
label or what (They didn't have any other shrubs there)
The leaves are small as you can see by the 20p (No that's not its fruit)
No scent to them.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps821903cd.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psefbd60cc.jpg

Well, it's got opposite leaves! I am sure that I have seen it,
but my best guess is something like Lonicera nitida, or just
possibly a Ceanothus.

Don't think it's either of those, the leaf shape is wrong
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...pscdfd5e93.jpg

I never said it was a GOOD guess! Ceanothus are far more variable
than most people realise, though I don't think it is one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-10-2014, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/10/2014 20:28, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 18:10:46 +0000, David
wrote:

Found this plant/shrub yesterday in Morrison s, it had been yellow
stickied to half price pot labeled as Hardy garden plant and the label
was for Viburnum Eve Price (Which is a form of Viburnum tinus).
It's like no viburnum I've ever seen or can find.
I don't know if was a lazy grower thinking it had to have some sort of
label or what (They didn't have any other shrubs there)
The leaves are small as you can see by the 20p (No that's not its fruit)
No scent to them.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps821903cd.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psefbd60cc.jpg
Any one got any ideas?
David @ a still rain free side of Swansea Bay.

Looks rather like one of the many seedlings I pull up in my mother's
garden, coming from next-door's myrtle, what used to be called Myrtus
luma but I think is Lumus apiculata these days (they've chopped and
changed the names in that family in recent years), or a similar
myrtle. Coprosma is another possibility.

I did wonder about Myrtus but as I said there is no smell from the
leaves when handled, and Luma has a gingery bark. I have one that is
around 20 years old.

Old 31-10-2014, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

It looks suspiciously like Cotoneaster to me. Perhaps a 'bird-dropped'
seedling after the original Viburnum died. Well, that's my best guess.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 31-10-2014, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Spider wrote:

It looks suspiciously like Cotoneaster to me. Perhaps a 'bird-dropped'
seedling after the original Viburnum died. Well, that's my best guess.

And to me, except for one niggling detail: Cotoneaster have alternate
leaves, and that plant has opposite ones. So it's not a Cotoneaster.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 31 Oct 2014 22:45:48 +0000, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Spider wrote:

It looks suspiciously like Cotoneaster to me. Perhaps a 'bird-dropped'
seedling after the original Viburnum died. Well, that's my best guess.

And to me, except for one niggling detail: Cotoneaster have alternate
leaves, and that plant has opposite ones. So it's not a Cotoneaster.

Ha, well spotted. I was about to go for Cotoneaster franchetii, but
you're right of course.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy