Old 01-11-2014, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default McBeans Orchids.

Talking to a chap at the Orchid Society of GB show at Wraysbury this morning
it appears that McBeans Orchids of Cooksbridge, near Lewes, who have been
going since 1879 and have exhibited at every Chelsea Flower Show finally
closed their doors yesterday. Such a shame. We have already lost Thatched
Lodge Orchids at Aldermaston, Wylde Court Orchids near Newbury, and
Stonehurst near Wakehurst Place. Only leaves Burnham Nursery in Newton
Abbot, Devon and Laurence Hobbs Orchids in Crawley Down, Sussex that I know
of if you want anything out of the ordinary.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 01-11-2014, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/11/2014 12:42, Bob Hobden wrote:
Talking to a chap at the Orchid Society of GB show at Wraysbury this
morning it appears that McBeans Orchids of Cooksbridge, near Lewes, who
have been going since 1879 and have exhibited at every Chelsea Flower
Show finally closed their doors yesterday. Such a shame. We have already
lost Thatched Lodge Orchids at Aldermaston, Wylde Court Orchids near
Newbury, and Stonehurst near Wakehurst Place. Only leaves Burnham
Nursery in Newton Abbot, Devon and Laurence Hobbs Orchids in Crawley
Down, Sussex that I know of if you want anything out of the ordinary.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

That's a real shame. I'm sure it's down to the supermarkets
force-feeding everyone with Phalaenopsis, that there's little interest
in different orchid types. I particularly like Cambria types and
Paphiopedilums, but I rarely see them.

I have been to Burnhams, but not Laurence Hobbs establishment yet. I'll
have to drop a hint to the chauffeur.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 01-11-2014, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/11/2014 13:13, Spider wrote:
[...]

It is a shame, but orchid nurseries were going out of business long
before the supermarkets started selling Phaleanopsis.
It was several very large hikes in fuel prices that started the rot. the
same thing that took Rochfords out of the house plant business.
Old 01-11-2014, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Read his web site carefully, from memory he is only open on certain days or
by appointment. Herons Bonsai is not that far away too, near the Mormon
Temple, and then there is Wakehurst Place so it can make for a pleasant day
out. Unfortunately both Stonehurst and McBeans were on that same drive as
far as we were concerned so there used to be 5 places to visit.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David" wrote ...

Spider wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

the supermarkets started selling Phalaenopsis.
It was several very large hikes in fuel prices that started the rot. the
same thing that took Richford's out of the house plant business.

Yes it was some years ago, actually decades for some, that the three I
mentioned, Thatched Lodge, Wyld Court and Stonehurst went. The latter was
also a good camellia nursery and grew some older varieties that are not seen
that much these days.
Still got a Zygopetalum that the boys at Thatched Lodge gave us, must be 25
+ years ago (at the time of the Woman's Peace Camp we had to drive past),
the nursery had a lovely garden too.

Found some info on Wyld Court....
http://www.tissuequickplantlabs.com/...hidshomenf.htm
When we used to go there it was an Eddy Young that was the grower.

I can remember paying £25 for a Phalaenopsis 30 years ago, a lot of money
then, and now they are in Sainsbury's at £5. No wonder the British growers
have suffered.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/11/2014 12:42, Bob Hobden wrote:
Talking to a chap at the Orchid Society of GB show at Wraysbury this morning
it appears that McBeans Orchids of Cooksbridge, near Lewes, who have been
going since 1879 and have exhibited at every Chelsea Flower Show finally
closed their doors yesterday. Such a shame. We have already lost Thatched
Lodge Orchids at Aldermaston, Wylde Court Orchids near Newbury, and
Stonehurst near Wakehurst Place. Only leaves Burnham Nursery in Newton
Abbot, Devon and Laurence Hobbs Orchids in Crawley Down, Sussex that I know
of if you want anything out of the ordinary.

I may have missed it, but couldn't see anything about it on their website.
http://www.mcbeansorchids.co.uk/index.html

--

Jeff
Old 01-11-2014, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
Talking to a chap at the Orchid Society of GB show at Wraysbury this
morning
it appears that McBeans Orchids of Cooksbridge, near Lewes, who have been
going since 1879 and have exhibited at every Chelsea Flower Show finally
closed their doors yesterday. Such a shame. We have already lost Thatched
Lodge Orchids at Aldermaston, Wylde Court Orchids near Newbury, and
Stonehurst near Wakehurst Place. Only leaves Burnham Nursery in Newton
Abbot, Devon and Laurence Hobbs Orchids in Crawley Down, Sussex that I
know
of if you want anything out of the ordinary.

I may have missed it, but couldn't see anything about it on their website.
http://www.mcbeansorchids.co.uk/index.html

Yes I know, strange. Perhaps they are still hoping for a buyer.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/11/2014 17:35, Bob Hobden wrote:

I may have missed it, but couldn't see anything about it on their website.
http://www.mcbeansorchids.co.uk/index.html

Yes I know, strange. Perhaps they are still hoping for a buyer.

Looks like it:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-29795676

--

Jeff
Old 01-11-2014, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/11/2014 15:02, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Spider" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]

Oooh! Thanks for that, Bob. I'd better chat up the chauffer nicely;~)

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Orchids - Orchids!idx001.jpg (1/1) Internetado[_2_] Orchid Photos 0 07-11-2011 12:22 AM
Orchids - The fabulous world of Orchids report Kelly Orchids 2 31-08-2004 04:02 PM
growing orchids outside = burned orchids? Lil Orchids 5 18-07-2003 05:52 PM
super tough orchids profpam Orchids 3 28-01-2003 02:44 AM
Preserving and drying orchids. Howard Orchids 0 28-01-2003 01:54 AM