Old 08-11-2014, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I thought I had

Got rid of cow parsley in my garden. I had made a sustained attack on it
last year. But no. It's popping up all over now.
As is Garlic Mustard (Jack-by-the-Hedge) but I don't mind that as I can eat
it when it is young and if it gets big my hens like it.
The leaves are lovely in salads. Mixed in.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/11/2014 00:28, Christina Websell wrote:
Got rid of cow parsley in my garden. I had made a sustained attack on it
last year. But no. It's popping up all over now.
As is Garlic Mustard (Jack-by-the-Hedge) but I don't mind that as I can eat
it when it is young and if it gets big my hens like it.
The leaves are lovely in salads. Mixed in.

I'd love to have Cow Parsley in my garden! It would be gorgeous in some
of the natural areas. It just goes to show: one persons' weed is on
another persons' wish list.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 08-11-2014, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/11/2014 16:59, Spider wrote:

I'd love to have Cow Parsley in my garden! It would be gorgeous in some
of the natural areas. It just goes to show: one persons' weed is on
another persons' wish list.

It's not just what, but where.

I left the cow parsley in the rough edge where we meet farmland; but I
dig it out of the flower beds.

Andy
Old 08-11-2014, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/11/2014 22:06, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 08/11/2014 16:59, Spider wrote:

I'd love to have Cow Parsley in my garden! It would be gorgeous in some
of the natural areas. It just goes to show: one persons' weed is on
another persons' wish list.

It's not just what, but where.

I left the cow parsley in the rough edge where we meet farmland; but I
dig it out of the flower beds.

Andy

Indeed. It's a choice. I would be happy to have it in most places in
my garden, but there are a few places where it wouldn't be happy to grow.
I dig it ... but not in the way you mean;~)
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 09-11-2014, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 16:59:05 Spider wrote:

On 08/11/2014 00:28, Christina Websell wrote:

Got rid of cow parsley in my garden. I had made a sustained attack on it
last year. But no. It's popping up all over now.
As is Garlic Mustard (Jack-by-the-Hedge) but I don't mind that as I can eat
it when it is young and if it gets big my hens like it.
The leaves are lovely in salads. Mixed in.

I'd love to have Cow Parsley in my garden! It would be gorgeous in
some of the natural areas.

And then it'll seed not only over the parts of your garden where you
don't want it but also over you neighbours' gardens!

David

Old 09-11-2014, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
On 08/11/2014 00:28, Christina Websell wrote:
Got rid of cow parsley in my garden. I had made a sustained attack on it
last year. But no. It's popping up all over now.
As is Garlic Mustard (Jack-by-the-Hedge) but I don't mind that as I can
eat
it when it is young and if it gets big my hens like it.
The leaves are lovely in salads. Mixed in.

I'd love to have Cow Parsley in my garden! It would be gorgeous in some
of the natural areas. It just goes to show: one persons' weed is on
another persons' wish list.
--
Spider.

I could send you some seeds from next year's crop but don't blame me if you
wish you never had it ;-)
If you really want some, private mail me with your address.
My sister in law spent a lot of time earlier in the year hacking it down.
I'd sustained a spinal injury and was unable to do it myself.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 16:59:05 Spider wrote:

On 08/11/2014 00:28, Christina Websell wrote:

Got rid of cow parsley in my garden. I had made a sustained attack on
it
last year. But no. It's popping up all over now.
As is Garlic Mustard (Jack-by-the-Hedge) but I don't mind that as I can
eat
it when it is young and if it gets big my hens like it.
The leaves are lovely in salads. Mixed in.

I'd love to have Cow Parsley in my garden! It would be gorgeous in some
of the natural areas.

And then it'll seed not only over the parts of your garden where you don't
want it but also over you neighbours' gardens!

You can probably control them in a small garden and the seeds are good food
for birds, but I have a large garden and even all the birds I have can't eat
all the seeds before they germinate.
so it's hacking and slashing..

Old 09-11-2014, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 16:59:05 Spider wrote:

On 08/11/2014 00:28, Christina Websell wrote:

Got rid of cow parsley in my garden. I had made a sustained attack on
it
last year. But no. It's popping up all over now.
As is Garlic Mustard (Jack-by-the-Hedge) but I don't mind that as I can
eat
it when it is young and if it gets big my hens like it.
The leaves are lovely in salads. Mixed in.

I'd love to have Cow Parsley in my garden! It would be gorgeous in some
of the natural areas.

And then it'll seed not only over the parts of your garden where you don't
want it but also over you neighbours' gardens!

David

some years ago I wanted some wild garlic and a nice person on the group sent
me some with the provision that it was not his fault if it took over my
garden.
It hasn't yet.
But cow parsley will. If you don't attack it at this stage it will be 5
feet high later

Old 09-11-2014, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/11/2014 18:04, Christina Websell wrote:
But cow parsley will. If you don't attack it at this stage it will be 5
feet high later

It was, at the end of the summer. Then I took a brushwood cutter all
along the edge of the garden. The nettles were as big.

Cleared up when seeds have dropped. Which might be why the mice have
moved into the loft.

Andy
Old 09-11-2014, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/11/2014 09:21, David Rance wrote:
On Sat, 8 Nov 2014 16:59:05 Spider wrote:

On 08/11/2014 00:28, Christina Websell wrote:

Got rid of cow parsley in my garden. I had made a sustained attack
on it
last year. But no. It's popping up all over now.
As is Garlic Mustard (Jack-by-the-Hedge) but I don't mind that as I
can eat
it when it is young and if it gets big my hens like it.
The leaves are lovely in salads. Mixed in.

I'd love to have Cow Parsley in my garden! It would be gorgeous in
some of the natural areas.

And then it'll seed not only over the parts of your garden where you
don't want it but also over you neighbours' gardens!

David

I only have a neighbour on one side and they're not garden-minded and
rarely mow their lawn. Their garden is a sea of weeds already. I
already grow one 'generous' native plant and three neighbours have been
very pleased to share in the progeny, including my immediate neighbour.
I still love Cow Parsley .. and my neighbours :~).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 09-11-2014, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/11/2014 17:01, Christina Websell wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

That's very kind of you, Tina! Thank you. I'll see about that email
tomorrow. I'm already late for bed now, so I need to hurry. Night!

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 09-11-2014, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 09/11/2014 18:04, Christina Websell wrote:
But cow parsley will. If you don't attack it at this stage it will be 5
feet high later

It was, at the end of the summer. Then I took a brushwood cutter all along
the edge of the garden. The nettles were as big.

Cleared up when seeds have dropped. Which might be why the mice have moved
into the loft.

Andy

I don't have mice. I have a cat. No mouse would chance his luck about
getting into the loft with him around. Or they could try if they were bent
on suicide.
He is brilliant about catching mice and small rats. Big rats, not so much,
the ones with the big brown teeth and approaching a pound in weight, he says
no, get the terriers in! and even then those big rats can give the terriers
a hard time. One terrier got half its nose bitten off by a big rat that had
taken refuge under some tree roots, but the strange thing is that the
terrier did not seem to mind. I did. I insisted on treating her nose with
antiseptic. The rat men said it wasn't necessary, I said it was.
So my cat says big rats need terriers and I agree with him.
But normally he sees them when they are small and they don't get big. If he
misses one and it does get big, he refers it to the doggies. who are so
dangerous he has to stay in the house if they are coming otherwise he'd be
an ex-cat.
They sweep through the garden after any vermin and tbh anything alive in
their path. But I expect that. These are what I call "hard" dogs. One of
them had killed her kennelmate. I wouldn't trust them for a minute with a
child, they are bred for what they do. Although the terrier men claim
their dogs are fine with children and superficially they are, I've seen them
in killing mode, and let me tell you they are very dangerous then so I
wouldn't risk leaving them alone with a child under 12, especially a
female child who might scream for whatever reason.

Screaming can bring on a attack from a dog.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

I've just sent that email, Tina, so I hope you receive it okay.
Thanks again.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London