Old 10-11-2014, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Well done the BBC

I know we love to knock the BBC on their gardening programmes, but
having just watched "Gardens from Above" with Christine Walden, as far
as I am concerned they have hit the spot.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/11/2014 16:30, Broadback wrote:
I know we love to knock the BBC on their gardening programmes, but
having just watched "Gardens from Above" with Christine Walden, as far
as I am concerned they have hit the spot.

Aww! I missed that, probably because it was on at 3.15pm. Our tv isn't
switched on until 7pm-ish. Even so, I would have expected to see a
trailer for it. Perhaps there was one and I missed it.
I'll have to try and catch it On Demand .. or similar. Thanks for the
prompt .. and the recommendation.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 10-11-2014, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/11/2014 17:13, Spider wrote:
On 10/11/2014 16:30, Broadback wrote:
I know we love to knock the BBC on their gardening programmes, but
having just watched "Gardens from Above" with Christine Walden, as far
as I am concerned they have hit the spot.

Aww! I missed that, probably because it was on at 3.15pm. Our tv isn't
switched on until 7pm-ish. Even so, I would have expected to see a
trailer for it. Perhaps there was one and I missed it.
I'll have to try and catch it On Demand .. or similar. Thanks for the
prompt .. and the recommendation.

It just goes to show how people differ.
I thought it was the biggest waste of time.
A great idea but very badly thought out and poorly presented, though to
be fair, I think she did the best she could with lousy material, though
the places visited have so much to offer they fell flat.
Well that's my 2 pence worth.
David @ a yet again wet side of Swansea Bay
Old 10-11-2014, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/11/2014 17:43, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 17:13:48 +0000, Spider wrote:

On 10/11/2014 16:30, Broadback wrote:
I know we love to knock the BBC on their gardening programmes, but
having just watched "Gardens from Above" with Christine Walden, as far
as I am concerned they have hit the spot.

Aww! I missed that, probably because it was on at 3.15pm. Our tv isn't
switched on until 7pm-ish. Even so, I would have expected to see a
trailer for it. Perhaps there was one and I missed it.
I'll have to try and catch it On Demand .. or similar. Thanks for the
prompt .. and the recommendation.

The episode you missed is repeated on Sunday Morning
http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/c7...1---1-cornwall

There are more episodes to come.
http://www.radiotimes.com/programme/...ens-from-above

Thanks ever so, Martin! I'll catch it on Sunday morning, then get a
series record for the rest. Great.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 11-11-2014, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

[ "Gardens from Above" with Christine Walden]

Just like Monty Don's Miracles from Small Gardens series, this series has had no
publicity too.

Even the Radio Times did its usual trick with new weekday daytime
series, and doesn't flag it in the editorial until tomorrow. Woe
betide anybody who hasn't read ahead for the whole week. :-(

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Old 12-11-2014, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-11-10 17:43:27 +0000, Martin said:

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 17:13:48 +0000, Spider wrote:

On 10/11/2014 16:30, Broadback wrote:
I know we love to knock the BBC on their gardening programmes, but
having just watched "Gardens from Above" with Christine Walden, as far
as I am concerned they have hit the spot.

Aww! I missed that, probably because it was on at 3.15pm. Our tv isn't
switched on until 7pm-ish. Even so, I would have expected to see a
trailer for it. Perhaps there was one and I missed it.
I'll have to try and catch it On Demand .. or similar. Thanks for the
prompt .. and the recommendation.

The episode you missed is repeated on Sunday Morning
http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/c7...1---1-cornwall

There are more episodes to come.
http://www.radiotimes.com/programme/...ens-from-above

I watched it yesterday afternoon (Tuesday) and greatly enjoyed it. I
liked seeing the gardens from above because it gave me a sense of place
and perspective. And of course, quite a lot of the great gardens were
intended to be seen at least in part, from a second storey or higher,
so this gave some impression of that! I wish the directors would drop
this "can i gave you a hand" nonsense. It's so false!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 12-11-2014, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/11/2014 11:54, Martin wrote:

Just the coverage of the Thames barges made it worth watching :-)

Couldn't disagree more. The Thames barges are wonderful - I used to
watch them now and again from my parents' flat overlooking the Thames.
It would be great if the BBC dedicated a complete programme to them and
I would watch it avidly, but what in hell they have to do with gardening
I have no idea.

Out of interest, are there no other large gardens in Essex which could
have looked at? Beth Chatto's place has been on many programmes, and
even allowing for the "above" viewpoint, it is not unfamiliar. At least
the "cliffs" which Christine Walden abseiled down on St Michaels Mount
(and planted a couple of aeoniums) were rather unfamiliar territory.

--

Jeff
Old 12-11-2014, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/11/2014 16:52, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 12 Nov 2014 14:54:06 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

On 12/11/2014 11:54, Martin wrote:

Just the coverage of the Thames barges made it worth watching :-)

Couldn't disagree more. The Thames barges are wonderful - I used to
watch them now and again from my parents' flat overlooking the Thames.
It would be great if the BBC dedicated a complete programme to them and
I would watch it avidly, but what in hell they have to do with gardening
I have no idea.

It seems to be a "Down Your Way" type programme with a garden included
occasionally .

LoL! But today's programme was much better, with little, if any,
extracurricular material.

Out of interest, are there no other large gardens in Essex which could
have looked at? Beth Chatto's place has been on many programmes, and
even allowing for the "above" viewpoint, it is not unfamiliar. At least
the "cliffs" which Christine Walden abseiled down on St Michaels Mount
(and planted a couple of aeoniums) were rather unfamiliar territory.

I was interested to see that one of the Russian astronomers who discovered and
named Rosetta's 69P comet is a Christine Walden look alike

Would that be Dr Krystyna Waldenova? ;-)

--

Jeff
Old 13-11-2014, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-11-10 17:43:27 +0000, Martin said:

[...]

I suspect it was partly made using a camera carrying drone.

Just the coverage of the Thames barges made it worth watching :-)

Not a lot of gardening on those, however. Raymond enjoyed it because
it showed Essex in such a positive light for a change!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com