Old 12-11-2014, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default branch pruning saws

Any recommendations for branch pruning saws? I've started the fall
pruning and it looks like a really big job. Did an oak and a horse
chestnut and really felt like the old rusty Stanley has had it.

Some people are recommending Silky saws as very good, like

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silky-270-39...dp/B003Y7MW9I/
ref=sr_1_13/279-1342980-2214807?
ie=UTF8&qid=1415833005&sr=8-13&keywords=silky+saw

Expensive but worth it to me if as good as they say. I have a lot of
3-6" branches to cut. I don't like to use the chain saw for pruning
unless branches are above 8" or so, I don't get a very precise cut with
it.

Thanks,

-E
--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 13-11-2014, 07:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote

Any recommendations for branch pruning saws? I've started the fall
pruning and it looks like a really big job. Did an oak and a horse
chestnut and really felt like the old rusty Stanley has had it.

Some people are recommending Silky saws as very good, like

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silky-270-39...dp/B003Y7MW9I/
ref=sr_1_13/279-1342980-2214807?
ie=UTF8&qid=1415833005&sr=8-13&keywords=silky+saw

Expensive but worth it to me if as good as they say. I have a lot of
3-6" branches to cut. I don't like to use the chain saw for pruning
unless branches are above 8" or so, I don't get a very precise cut with
it.

I use the Wolf multichange pruning saw and when a friend used it he went out
and bought one too. Very sharp and cuts with less effort than expected. You
can, of course, put it on a longer handle for out of the way or high up
branches.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 13-11-2014, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/11/2014 07:00, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Emery Davis" wrote

[...]

I'd second that solution (although I actually have the rival one from
Gardena I wouldn't recommend it because the locking mechanism is weak).

It may have been improved since I got mine a couple of decades ago...

The advantage of being able to put the saw on a long pole is worth it!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 13-11-2014, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wednesday, November 12, 2014 11:10:02 PM UTC, Emery Davis wrote:
Any recommendations for branch pruning saws? I've started the fall
pruning and it looks like a really big job. Did an oak and a horse
chestnut and really felt like the old rusty Stanley has had it.

Some people are recommending Silky saws as very good, like

I don't have any experience of Silky but they seem to get a fairly good press.
My own is

http://www.axminster.co.uk/trt-curved-pruning-saw

I promise this will be a revelation to you. They cut on the pull stroke and the curve helps enormously - it is very sharp, accurate and fast.
For anything you can't cut with this, you're almost into chainsaw territory.

Rod
Old 13-11-2014, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 07:00:13 +0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

I use the Wolf multichange pruning saw and when a friend used it he went
out and bought one too. Very sharp and cuts with less effort than
expected. You can, of course, put it on a longer handle for out of the
way or high up branches.

Thanks Bob, I'll check it out, although I'm not looking for a multitool.

The Silky saws seem to be very highly regarded, here's the uk distributor
although some are available via amazon etc.

http://www.silkyfox.co.uk/index.html

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 14-11-2014, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 10:27:17 -0800, Rod wrote:

I don't have any experience of Silky but they seem to get a fairly good
press.
My own is

http://www.axminster.co.uk/trt-curved-pruning-saw

I promise this will be a revelation to you. They cut on the pull stroke
and the curve helps enormously - it is very sharp, accurate and fast.
For anything you can't cut with this, you're almost into chainsaw
territory.

Thanks Rod. I like the curved saws too. Yours looks like a good saw. I
believe many of the good ones cut on the pull stroke, I know the Silkys
do and my old one does as well (Although poorly since not very sharp any
more...)

cheers,

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 14-11-2014, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/11/2014 11:31, Emery Davis wrote:
On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 10:27:17 -0800, Rod wrote:

I don't have any experience of Silky but they seem to get a fairly good
press.
My own is

http://www.axminster.co.uk/trt-curved-pruning-saw

I promise this will be a revelation to you. They cut on the pull stroke
and the curve helps enormously - it is very sharp, accurate and fast.
For anything you can't cut with this, you're almost into chainsaw
territory.

Thanks Rod. I like the curved saws too. Yours looks like a good saw. I
believe many of the good ones cut on the pull stroke, I know the Silkys
do and my old one does as well (Although poorly since not very sharp any
more...)

cheers,

-E

This is very good indeed, but not curved

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spear-Jackso.../dp/B002AKKF7Q

Old 14-11-2014, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Friday, November 14, 2014 12:32:55 PM UTC, stuart noble wrote:

This is very good indeed, but not curved

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spear-Jackso.../dp/B002AKKF7Q

Seconded, cheaper from toolstation:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Land...den+Saw/p52906

I tied mine onto the end of a long stick and used it to chop a few high limbs from my eucalyptus. With just the weight of the saw bearing on the cut it went through 4 inches quite quickly.
Old 14-11-2014, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
Any recommendations for branch pruning saws? I've started the fall
pruning and it looks like a really big job. Did an oak and a horse
chestnut and really felt like the old rusty Stanley has had it.

Some people are recommending Silky saws as very good, like

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silky-270-39...dp/B003Y7MW9I/
ref=sr_1_13/279-1342980-2214807?
ie=UTF8&qid=1415833005&sr=8-13&keywords=silky+saw

Expensive but worth it to me if as good as they say. I have a lot of
3-6" branches to cut. I don't like to use the chain saw for pruning
unless branches are above 8" or so, I don't get a very precise cut with
it.

I don't think one needs to spend more than £25 for a really good pruning
saw. Bought a Bahco one earlier this year for £19 which was on special offer
for a week or so. I just bought that brand because I have a pair of
secateurs of theirs which have lasted me so far for over 25 years and still
going strong. Their saw that I bought is excellent to work with too. But
anything in that price range by eg Wolf Garten would probably have been
equally good.

Old 14-11-2014, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 05:00:15 -0800, jfflkjflkjflkdfj wrote:

On Friday, November 14, 2014 12:32:55 PM UTC, stuart noble wrote:

This is very good indeed, but not curved

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spear-Jackso.../dp/B002AKKF7Q

Seconded, cheaper from toolstation:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Land...n+Saws/sd3265/

Razorsharp+Garden+Saw/p52906

I tied mine onto the end of a long stick and used it to chop a few high
limbs from my eucalyptus. With just the weight of the saw bearing on the
cut it went through 4 inches quite quickly.

Funny that looks like what we used to call a rip saw, not a pruning saw!

Anyway it may be good but not manoeuvrable enough to get into some of the
tight spots. Thanks for the link though.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 14-11-2014, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/11/2014 18:26, Emery Davis wrote:
On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 05:00:15 -0800, jfflkjflkjflkdfj wrote:

On Friday, November 14, 2014 12:32:55 PM UTC, stuart noble wrote:

This is very good indeed, but not curved

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spear-Jackso.../dp/B002AKKF7Q

Seconded, cheaper from toolstation:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Land...n+Saws/sd3265/

Razorsharp+Garden+Saw/p52906

I tied mine onto the end of a long stick and used it to chop a few high
limbs from my eucalyptus. With just the weight of the saw bearing on the
cut it went through 4 inches quite quickly.

Funny that looks like what we used to call a rip saw, not a pruning saw!

Anyway it may be good but not manoeuvrable enough to get into some of the
tight spots. Thanks for the link though.

A rip saw was for cutting down the length of timber whilst a cross cut
was used to cut across the grain.

Old 14-11-2014, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David wrote:

On 14/11/2014 18:26, Emery Davis wrote:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Land...n+Saws/sd3265/
Razorsharp+Garden+Saw/p52906

Funny that looks like what we used to call a rip saw, not a pruning saw!

Anyway it may be good but not manoeuvrable enough to get into some of the
tight spots. Thanks for the link though.

A rip saw was for cutting down the length of timber whilst a cross cut
was used to cut across the grain.

Indeed it was, but its general shape was much like the one you
are talking about. It is obviously all in the teeth.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 14-11-2014, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/11/2014 19:13, Chris J Dixon wrote:
David wrote:

On 14/11/2014 18:26, Emery Davis wrote:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Land...n+Saws/sd3265/
Razorsharp+Garden+Saw/p52906

Funny that looks like what we used to call a rip saw, not a pruning saw!

Anyway it may be good but not manoeuvrable enough to get into some of the
tight spots. Thanks for the link though.

A rip saw was for cutting down the length of timber whilst a cross cut
was used to cut across the grain.

Indeed it was, but its general shape was much like the one you
are talking about. It is obviously all in the teeth.

Chris

The S&J "garden" saw is just a standard coarse cut blade, suitable for
cutting any timber where speed is more important than the finish. At B&Q
recently they had the fine, medium and coarse on special offer, all
cutting on the forward and back stroke of course.