Old 13-11-2014, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Garlic shelf life

Watching a TV program in the last couple of days the cameras visited a
garlic farmer, who has found a new way of preserving garlic. He claimed
that garlic cannot be kept for more than three months. Is that true? I'm
sure that I have kept it longer.
Old 13-11-2014, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote

Watching a TV program in the last couple of days the cameras visited a
garlic farmer, who has found a new way of preserving garlic. He claimed
that garlic cannot be kept for more than three months. Is that true? I'm
sure that I have kept it longer.

Depends where he was in the world but our garlic cropped in early July is
still fine which is 4 months. We usually find it lasts until at least early
spring before starting to sprout.
I wonder if he is heat treating it to kill the growing tip like some do with
shallots etc. to preserve shelf life. There is a letter in the Kitchen
Garden this month from a chap who says he cannot grow long shallots (like
Jermor) and that they never sprout. Knowing how easy they are to grow I bet
he is planting shop bought ones not those sold for planting which are a lot
more expensive. Friend did the same, saw a large bag of Jermor type shallots
in the supermarket selling quite cheaply and bought those to plant and all
he got was a few roots, not one sprouted.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 13-11-2014, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

When my daughter visits us, she always makes a visit to the Garlic Farm and
stocks up for herself and usually has a shopping list from those around her
back on the North Island. Considering she might only visit a couple of times
a year due to pressure of work and her own very busy life style, you're not
going to tell me that she buys it and watches it go bad/mouldy/whatever.

Mike
South East Coast of the Isle of Wight
Where the Garlic Farm is
and why not an advert? :-)
http://www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk/

Old 13-11-2014, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message ...

Watching a TV program in the last couple of days the cameras visited a
garlic farmer, who has found a new way of preserving garlic. He claimed
that garlic cannot be kept for more than three months. Is that true? I'm
sure that I have kept it longer.

The story was about a farmer in England, who being unable to make a
decent living from his farm started growing garlic. H claimed that his
wife gave him a few bulbs one year and his whole stock is from that. I
cannot remember the exact details of the treatment but they ended up
black. I would quite like to find a source as they did not smell
strongly, tasted more like Balsamic vinegar, which I am addicted to.
Also another plus is when squashed it turned into a purée type
substance, easy peasy! substance.
Old 13-11-2014, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote
"Broadback" wrote
Watching a TV program in the last couple of days the cameras visited a
garlic farmer, who has found a new way of preserving garlic. He claimed
that garlic cannot be kept for more than three months. Is that true? I'm
sure that I have kept it longer.

The story was about a farmer in England, who being unable to make a decent
living from his farm started growing garlic. H claimed that his wife gave
him a few bulbs one year and his whole stock is from that. I cannot
remember the exact details of the treatment but they ended up black. I
would quite like to find a source as they did not smell strongly, tasted
more like Balsamic vinegar, which I am addicted to. Also another plus is
when squashed it turned into a purée type substance, easy peasy! substance.

Sound like the smoked garlic one can buy, ie, it's cooked.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 13-11-2014, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote
"Broadback" wrote
Watching a TV program in the last couple of days the cameras visited a
garlic farmer, who has found a new way of preserving garlic. He claimed
that garlic cannot be kept for more than three months. Is that true? I'm
sure that I have kept it longer.

When my daughter visits us, she always makes a visit to the Garlic Farm and
stocks up for herself and usually has a shopping list from those around her
back on the North Island. Considering she might only visit a couple of
times a year due to pressure of work and her own very busy life style,
you're not going to tell me that she buys it and watches it go
bad/mouldy/whatever.

The trouble is a lot of the GCs are now stocking IOW garlic as seed garlic
and the IOW is on chalk whereas we are on acid clay which is probably the
reason that any IOW garlic I've tried has not done well. I now refuse to buy
it for planting.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 13-11-2014, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

The trouble is a lot of the GCs are now stocking IOW garlic as seed garlic
and the IOW is on chalk whereas we are on acid clay which is probably the
reason that any IOW garlic I've tried has not done well

So the guiding principle is the same as on this side of the pond: Buy your
seed garlic from somebody as close to you as possible. For the more
economical of us: buy just a couple of bulbs, separate, plant, grow your
own seed stock. In a couple of years you'll have all you need, and not
have wasted time/space on varieties that aren't good in your spot.

Some varieties I grow store from harvest in late August until early spring
of the next year. They're stored in a cool dry cellar pantry; not an
actual root cellar, which would likely be too cold.

Old 13-11-2014, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Watching a TV program in the last couple of days the cameras visited a
garlic farmer, who has found a new way of preserving garlic. He claimed
that garlic cannot be kept for more than three months. Is that true? I'm
sure that I have kept it longer.

It does tend to shoot (or sometimes dry out) so what I can't use within a
couple of months, I peel & crush and put in the freezer. Ice cube trays are
useful for this (but do not use said ice cube tray for anything else
afterwards ;-) )

Old 14-11-2014, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Watching a TV program in the last couple of days the cameras visited a
garlic farmer, who has found a new way of preserving garlic. He claimed
that garlic cannot be kept for more than three months. Is that true? I'm
sure that I have kept it longer.

In my house a bulb of garlic can be kept for a maximum of about 3 days let
alone months!

--
David

Old 14-11-2014, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gary Woods" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

The trouble is a lot of the GCs are now stocking IOW garlic as seed garlic
and the IOW is on chalk whereas we are on acid clay which is probably the
reason that any IOW garlic I've tried has not done well

So the guiding principle is the same as on this side of the pond: Buy your
seed garlic from somebody as close to you as possible. For the more
economical of us: buy just a couple of bulbs, separate, plant, grow your
own seed stock. In a couple of years you'll have all you need, and not
have wasted time/space on varieties that aren't good in your spot.

Some varieties I grow store from harvest in late August until early spring
of the next year. They're stored in a cool dry cellar pantry; not an
actual root cellar, which would likely be too cold.

Our problem with using our own garlic to replant is that we have White Rot
on our plot so I'm a bit nervous about replanting any of the onion family.
Without that problem I certainly would replant our own Garlic and Shallots
each year.

-- Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 14-11-2014, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
On Fri, 14 Nov 2014 09:11:15 -0000, "David B"
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote in message
Watching a TV program in the last couple of days the cameras visited a
garlic farmer, who has found a new way of preserving garlic. He claimed
that garlic cannot be kept for more than three months. Is that true?
I'm
sure that I have kept it longer.

In my house a bulb of garlic can be kept for a maximum of about 3 days
let
alone months!

How do you keep the vampires at bay?

Simple, I breath on them. )

--
David

Old 18-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Registered User

I do something similar. I put them through the mincer, add a small amount of olive oil, and store it in paste jars that l have accumulated over time. I take a jar at a time out of the freezer. I store root ginger the same way.