Old 17-11-2014, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Half Hardy Salvia

I have a Salvia Patens. I've heard cinflicting advice as to overwintering
them. Some say dig them up before first frost and store them like dahlias.
Don't dig rhem up, but cover crown with 3" mulch or dead leaves.Would that
be enough to protect them if the temp fell consistently below freezing at
night over the winter? What would happen if we get a few weeksa of settled
snow?

Old 17-11-2014, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/11/2014 14:15, FrankB wrote:
I have a Salvia Patens. I've heard cinflicting advice as to overwintering
them. Some say dig them up before first frost and store them like dahlias.
Don't dig rhem up, but cover crown with 3" mulch or dead leaves.Would that
be enough to protect them if the temp fell consistently below freezing at
night over the winter? What would happen if we get a few weeksa of settled
snow?

I doubt very much it would survive several days of slight frost, and
definitely not even one day of a hard, penetrating, frost. It is a bit
late to take cuttings, although you have nothing to lose in trying. If
you really want to ensure its survival I would treat it like a dahlia.

--

Jeff
Old 18-11-2014, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"FrankB" wrote in message
o.uk...
I have a Salvia Patens. I've heard cinflicting advice as to overwintering
them. Some say dig them up before first frost and store them like dahlias.
Don't dig rhem up, but cover crown with 3" mulch or dead leaves.Would that
be enough to protect them if the temp fell consistently below freezing at
night over the winter? What would happen if we get a few weeksa of settled
snow?

It is very difficult to predict the survival of the tuberous type Salvias,
it seems to be a combination of wet and cold that gets them, I have known
them survive very hard frost in the ground and die in a dank greenhouse at
+5 (I have also seen them die at virtually frost free conditions outside)
best advice is to take cuttings each year (these seem more cold tolerant)
and they are also easy from seed so its worth harvesting some of that. You
are probably too late for either this year!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 18-11-2014, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"FrankB" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

So it would seem that a combination of wet or damp and near freezing
conditions would kill them off if left in the ground. I think I'll dig them
uo and keep them on the dry side in a dark garage during the winter, ie
literally treat them as dahlias and see whether that works out. According to
what I've read ot seems to be the one way of virtually guaranteeing their
survival.