Old 28-11-2014, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default At the risk of being a bore...

On 28/11/2014 09:36, David B wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Broadback" wrote in message
BBC's series of "Glorious Gardens From Above" to my mind is the best
gardening programme broadcast in many a year. It has not unrealistic
ways of building a garden (with concrete or else owt) yet it is

edifying and very entertaining. How many beautiful, garden there are
in the UK!

It's a nice programme scheduled at a bad time. It's against Deal or
no Deal on C4. which is very popular.

????
Is it? I thought it was the joke of channel 4 and I'm pleased to say
that I have never met anybody that watches it.

I think it sad that there have been so many criticisms of the presenter,
I found the gardens enthralling, and her enthusiasm great. I guess peeps
have been used to presenters with slim or athletic bodies,
pretty/handsome faces and enhanced breasts and lips. I was looking at
the gardens, and did not want to be side tracked by a glamorous
presenter. Also it made a lovely change from people gardening at
enormous expense then expecting us peasants to follow their lead.
Old 28-11-2014, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/11/2014 09:55, Broadback wrote:
I guess peeps have been used to presenters with slim or athletic bodies,
pretty/handsome faces and enhanced breasts and lips

I wouldn't say that Monty Don or Alan Titchmarsh fits this description,
nor Pipa Greenwood come to that.
Old 28-11-2014, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/11/2014 10:13, David wrote:
On 28/11/2014 09:55, Broadback wrote:
I guess peeps have been used to presenters with slim or athletic bodies,
pretty/handsome faces and enhanced breasts and lips

I wouldn't say that Monty Don or Alan Titchmarsh fits this description,
nor Pipa Greenwood come to that.

Alan Titchmarsh is apparently eye candy to ladies of a certain age.
Sad that the series is almost finished and it's the first I've heard
about it. It looks as though the whole thing is being repeated so
hopefully I can set the Virgin box to record the whole lot
Old 29-11-2014, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-11-26 17:33:47 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Broadback" wrote ...

BBC's series of "Glorious Gardens From Above" to my mind is the best
gardening programme broadcast in many a year. It has not unrealistic
ways of building a garden (with concrete or else owt) yet it is
edifying and very entertaining. How many beautiful, garden there are in
the UK!

Not watched it, saw who was the presenter and that was it.

That's a shame, Bob. It's a very good programme.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 29-11-2014, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 17:33:47 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote ...

BBC's series of "Glorious Gardens From Above" to my mind is the best
gardening programme broadcast in many a year. It has not unrealistic
ways of building a garden (with concrete or else owt) yet it is edifying
and very entertaining. How many beautiful, garden there are in the UK!

Not watched it, saw who was the presenter and that was it.

I'm not a fan of Christine Walkden either but the gardens make up for
that.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 30-11-2014, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-11-29 22:00:06 +0000, Martin said:

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 15:11:26 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 17:33:47 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote ...

BBC's series of "Glorious Gardens From Above" to my mind is the best
gardening programme broadcast in many a year. It has not unrealistic
ways of building a garden (with concrete or else owt) yet it is edifying
and very entertaining. How many beautiful, garden there are in the UK!

Not watched it, saw who was the presenter and that was it.

I'm not a fan of Christine Walkden either but the gardens make up for
that.

All 30+ of them

And while we thought the balloon thing was going to be an irritating
gimmick, we found it rather useful. It sets the scene for the gardens
in the most literal sense. Not only do you see the garden as a whole,
you see it in its surroundings, whether they be country, town, suburbs.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 30-11-2014, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 17:33:47 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote ...

BBC's series of "Glorious Gardens From Above" to my mind is the best
gardening programme broadcast in many a year. It has not unrealistic
ways of building a garden (with concrete or else owt) yet it is edifying
and very entertaining. How many beautiful, garden there are in the UK!

Not watched it, saw who was the presenter and that was it.

I'm not a fan of Christine Walkden either but the gardens make up for
that.

All 30+ of them

And while we thought the balloon thing was going to be an irritating
gimmick, we found it rather useful. It sets the scene for the gardens
in the most literal sense. Not only do you see the garden as a whole,
you see it in its surroundings, whether they be country, town, suburbs.

There was a BBC UK archeology series run at the same time as the beginning of
this series. They used a drone. Other than not seeing Christine in a basket,
they achieved similar if not better results. Most of the aerial views in
Glorious Gardens From Above were made the same way as the archeology series.
What the two series had in common, other than using drones and being worth
watching, was that both series were shown, without any prior BBC publicity, at
times when many people were at work or had other things to do.

Well Martin, that is the advantage of being retired and all the mucky
weather we have had, making working outside,at the very least, unpleasant.
Old 30-11-2014, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote

There was a BBC UK archeology series run at the same time as the
beginning of
this series. They used a drone. Other than not seeing Christine in a
basket,
they achieved similar if not better results. Most of the aerial views in
Glorious Gardens From Above were made the same way as the archeology
series.
What the two series had in common, other than using drones and being
worth
watching, was that both series were shown, without any prior BBC
publicity, at
times when many people were at work or had other things to do.

Well Martin, that is the advantage of being retired and all the mucky
weather we have had, making working outside,at the very least, unpleasant.

I'm retired but I don't usually look to see what's on before 8pm, after
dinner is finished and washed up.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 30-11-2014, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

OAP TV?

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 15:39:43 +0000, Broadback
wrote:
Well Martin, that is the advantage of being retired and all the

mucky

--
martin p
Old 30-11-2014, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 17:36:29 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:
I'm retired but I don't usually look to see what's on before 8pm,

after

That doesn't prevent you recording programmes and watching them
after 8pm.

--
martin p
Old 01-12-2014, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Well Martin, that is the advantage of being retired and all the

mucky

The best way of seeing who the TV is aimed at is the adverts. In the
afternoon it is wheelchairs, rising chairs and insurance for oldies, I
would be ashamed if I was a well know personality advertising these rip
off. I get the impression they will do anything for money! O yes I
forgot Oh no no the bane of my wife's life.