Old 02-12-2014, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default At the risk of being a bore...

On 2014-11-29 22:00:06 +0000, Martin said:

On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 15:11:26 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 17:33:47 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Broadback" wrote ...

BBC's series of "Glorious Gardens From Above" to my mind is the best
gardening programme broadcast in many a year. It has not unrealistic
ways of building a garden (with concrete or else owt) yet it is edifying
and very entertaining. How many beautiful, garden there are in the UK!

Not watched it, saw who was the presenter and that was it.

I'm not a fan of Christine Walkden either but the gardens make up for
that.

All 30+ of them

And while we thought the balloon thing was going to be an irritating
gimmick, we found it rather useful. It sets the scene for the gardens
in the most literal sense. Not only do you see the garden as a whole,
you see it in its surroundings, whether they be country, town, suburbs.

There was a BBC UK archeology series run at the same time as the beginning of
this series. They used a drone. Other than not seeing Christine in a basket,
they achieved similar if not better results. Most of the aerial views in
Glorious Gardens From Above were made the same way as the archeology series.
What the two series had in common, other than using drones and being worth
watching, was that both series were shown, without any prior BBC publicity, at
times when many people were at work or had other things to do.

Big mistake re the timing, imo. This is one of the better gardening
programmes for a long time.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-12-2014, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:

Big mistake re the timing, imo. This is one of the better gardening
programmes for a long time.

The whole series seems to be scheduled for repeat: weekdays on
BBC2 at 8:15am, starting tomorrow, Wednesday.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-12-02 08:18:20 +0000, Chris J Dixon said:

Sacha wrote:

Big mistake re the timing, imo. This is one of the better gardening
programmes for a long time.

The whole series seems to be scheduled for repeat: weekdays on
BBC2 at 8:15am, starting tomorrow, Wednesday.

Chris

The timing doesn't improve, does it?!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-12-2014, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

On Tue, 02 Dec 2014 08:18:20 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

The whole series seems to be scheduled for repeat: weekdays on
BBC2 at 8:15am, starting tomorrow, Wednesday.

In addition to the repeats on Sunday afternoons?

Up to a point.

Looking more closely, the weekday repeats appear to be in Sign
Zone.

Taking my data from Digiguide, as far as it goes right now, this
is the sequence: (looks better in fixed font)

Wed 3rd 08:15 Episode 1 Signed
Thu 4th 08:20 Episode 2 Signed
Fri 5th 08:20 Episode 3 Signed
Sun 7th 08:15 Episode 7
Mon 8th 08:20 Episode 4 Signed
Tue 9th 08:20 Episode 5 Signed
Wed 10th 08:15 Episode 6 Signed
Thu 11th 08:20 Episode 7 Signed
Fri 12th 08:20 Episode 8 Signed
Mon 15th 08:20 Episode 10 Signed
Tue 16th 08:20 Episode 9 Signed
Wed 17th 08:15 Episode 11 Signed
Thu 18th 08:20 Episode 12 Signed
Fri 19th 08:20 Episode 13 Signed

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"martinp" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:
I'm retired but I don't usually look to see what's on before 8pm,

after

That doesn't prevent you recording programmes and watching them after 8pm.

True, but it has to be something excellent like Portillo's Great British
Railway journeys that used to be on at 6.30pm on BBC2.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote

Broadback wrote:

martinp wrote:
OAP TV?

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 15:39:43 +0000, Broadback
wrote:
Well Martin, that is the advantage of being retired and all the
mucky

The best way of seeing who the TV is aimed at is the adverts. In the
afternoon it is wheelchairs, rising chairs and insurance for oldies, I
would be ashamed if I was a well know personality advertising these rip
off. I get the impression they will do anything for money! O yes I
forgot Oh no no the bane of my wife's life.

We record most programmes with a Humax PVR and skip over the adverts when
we
watch them. Adverts? What adverts? :-)

I think most do that, we certainly do unless we want to make a cuppa or let
some out. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 01 Dec 2014 17:11:05 +0100, Martin wrote:

wrote:
Well Martin, that is the advantage of being retired and all the
mucky

The best way of seeing who the TV is aimed at is the adverts. In the
afternoon it is wheelchairs, rising chairs and insurance for oldies, I
would be ashamed if I was a well know personality advertising these rip
off. I get the impression they will do anything for money! O yes I
forgot Oh no no the bane of my wife's life.

We record most programmes with a Humax PVR and skip over the adverts when we
watch them. Adverts? What adverts? :-)

I can't remember the last time I watched a commercial channel live.
Most are rubbish even after removing adverts.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 03-12-2014, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

Despite which there are more new programmes worth watching most weeks on the
commercial channels than there are on BBC.

A subjective view, which does not mirror my experience. Even on
BBC it is possible to save quite a lot of time by avoiding
trailers, and hitting the "skip" button for "coming up..." and
"previously..."

Is it just me that is irritated by the seemingly mandatory
documentary technique of having several parallel threads running,
in an attempt to keep our attention, then having to remind us
what we have just seen, or reveal what they are about to show us,
but not just yet...

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 12:43:04 +0000, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

Martin wrote:

Despite which there are more new programmes worth watching most weeks on the
commercial channels than there are on BBC.

A subjective view, which does not mirror my experience. Even on
BBC it is possible to save quite a lot of time by avoiding
trailers, and hitting the "skip" button for "coming up..." and
"previously..."

Is it just me that is irritated by the seemingly mandatory
documentary technique of having several parallel threads running,
in an attempt to keep our attention, then having to remind us
what we have just seen, or reveal what they are about to show us,
but not just yet...

Chris

It is a irritating waste of time but at least the BBC doesn't put
their "adverts" in the middle of programs like the commercials
channels do.

Steve

Old 03-12-2014, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

It is a irritating waste of time but at least the BBC doesn't put
their "adverts" in the middle of programs like the commercials
channels do.

Not on TV, but R2 does it quite a lot.

Then there are those news items which are really publicity for a
later programme.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 16:32:38 +0000, Broadback
wrote:

I have always thought that the "fillers"on BBC was so that when the
programmes were sold having take out the fillers the adverts would make
up the hour, or whatever,

I thought that 40 minute programs were for that. They become a hour
when sold to other countries.

Steve

Old 03-12-2014, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/12/2014 15:00, Martin wrote:

wrote:

Martin wrote:

Despite which there are more new programmes worth watching most weeks on the
commercial channels than there are on BBC.

A subjective view, which does not mirror my experience. Even on
BBC it is possible to save quite a lot of time by avoiding
trailers, and hitting the "skip" button for "coming up..." and
"previously..."

Is it just me that is irritated by the seemingly mandatory
documentary technique of having several parallel threads running,
in an attempt to keep our attention, then having to remind us
what we have just seen, or reveal what they are about to show us,
but not just yet...

Chris

It is a irritating waste of time but at least the BBC doesn't put
their "adverts" in the middle of programs like the commercials
channels do.

There shouldnl't be any adverts including those for BBC products on BBC.

This topic has got really boring