GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree for a very small garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/211009-tree-very-small-garden.html)

Bob Hobden[_5_] 01-01-2015 06:23 PM

Tree for a very small garden

I put "very" in the title because the TV presenters idea of a small garden
and reality is not the same. We are talking about 20ft by 30ft. and it's
about 5 miles from Heathrow.

Friend needs a small decorative tree, preferably deciduous, for her back
garden, gets sun for a couple of hours daily, quite a protected site with
houses all around. Needs something that won't grow too tall or wide and is
not horrendously expensive to buy. Her wish is to attract birds into the
garden because at the moment she has no cover for them. Flowers or autumn
foliage colour would be a bonus.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Martin Brown 01-01-2015 06:47 PM

Tree for a very small garden

On 01/01/2015 18:23, Bob Hobden wrote:

I put "very" in the title because the TV presenters idea of a small
garden and reality is not the same. We are talking about 20ft by 30ft.
and it's about 5 miles from Heathrow.

Friend needs a small decorative tree, preferably deciduous, for her back
garden, gets sun for a couple of hours daily, quite a protected site
with houses all around. Needs something that won't grow too tall or wide
and is not horrendously expensive to buy. Her wish is to attract birds
into the garden because at the moment she has no cover for them. Flowers
or autumn foliage colour would be a bonus.

A couple of suggestions that would be OK in a smallish garden a

Flowering cherry on dwarfing stock or cv Amanogawa (lit milkyway)
or
Amechelanchier lamarkii
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelanchier_lamarckii

The latter being a small tree or big bush depending on how you allow it
to grow. Specimen trees costing more than bushes.

Dogwoods are cheap, colourful and rather pleasing for birds to land in.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Jeff Layman[_2_] 01-01-2015 09:01 PM

Tree for a very small garden

On 01/01/15 18:23, Bob Hobden wrote:
I put "very" in the title because the TV presenters idea of a small garden
and reality is not the same. We are talking about 20ft by 30ft. and it's
about 5 miles from Heathrow.

Friend needs a small decorative tree, preferably deciduous, for her back
garden, gets sun for a couple of hours daily, quite a protected site with
houses all around. Needs something that won't grow too tall or wide and is
not horrendously expensive to buy. Her wish is to attract birds into the
garden because at the moment she has no cover for them. Flowers or autumn
foliage colour would be a bonus.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

What about something like Cotoneaster hybridus pendulus?

Very attractive weeping habit. Covered in red berries that attract birds
in winter. Not too fast growing. More or less evergreen rather than
deciduous (but being evergreen is an advantage for birds in winter).

--

Jeff

philgurr 01-01-2015 09:27 PM

Tree for a very small garden

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
[...]

I would go for a Magnolia stellata. Ticks all the boxes.

Phil

Sacha[_11_] 01-01-2015 10:15 PM

Tree for a very small garden

On 2015-01-01 18:23:26 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

I put "very" in the title because the TV presenters idea of a small
garden and reality is not the same. We are talking about 20ft by 30ft.
and it's about 5 miles from Heathrow.

Friend needs a small decorative tree, preferably deciduous, for her
back garden, gets sun for a couple of hours daily, quite a protected
site with houses all around. Needs something that won't grow too tall
or wide and is not horrendously expensive to buy. Her wish is to
attract birds into the garden because at the moment she has no cover
for them. Flowers or autumn foliage colour would be a bonus.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Weeping cherry, Kilmarnock willow, weeping mulberry?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Bob Hobden[_5_] 01-01-2015 10:43 PM

Tree for a very small garden

"Chris Hogg" wrote

"Bob Hobden"wrote:

I put "very" in the title because the TV presenters idea of a small garden
and reality is not the same. We are talking about 20ft by 30ft. and it's
about 5 miles from Heathrow.

Friend needs a small decorative tree, preferably deciduous, for her back
garden, gets sun for a couple of hours daily, quite a protected site with
houses all around. Needs something that won't grow too tall or wide and is
not horrendously expensive to buy. Her wish is to attract birds into the
garden because at the moment she has no cover for them. Flowers or autumn
foliage colour would be a bonus.

Something fastigiate? There's a selection here
http://tinyurl.com/ok88vbw including a couple of Liquidambars which
have good autumn colour. Some RHS suggestions here
http://tinyurl.com/pz7rgoh

Thanks Chris but we had a Liquidambar once, grew like Jack's beanstalk.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Janet 02-01-2015 01:06 AM

Tree for a very small garden

In article ,
says...

I put "very" in the title because the TV presenters idea of a small garden
and reality is not the same. We are talking about 20ft by 30ft. and it's
about 5 miles from Heathrow.

Friend needs a small decorative tree, preferably deciduous, for her back
garden, gets sun for a couple of hours daily, quite a protected site with
houses all around. Needs something that won't grow too tall or wide and is
not horrendously expensive to buy. Her wish is to attract birds into the
garden because at the moment she has no cover for them. Flowers or autumn
foliage colour would be a bonus.

One of the smaller sorbus cultivars would tick all the boxes. Flowers,
autumn colour foliage, white yellow or pink berries, bird food; and
pretty much foolproof.

Janet.

Bob Hobden[_5_] 02-01-2015 05:03 PM

Tree for a very small garden

"Janet" wrote ...

bobhobden says...

I put "very" in the title because the TV presenters idea of a small
garden
and reality is not the same. We are talking about 20ft by 30ft. and it's
about 5 miles from Heathrow.

Friend needs a small decorative tree, preferably deciduous, for her back
garden, gets sun for a couple of hours daily, quite a protected site with
houses all around. Needs something that won't grow too tall or wide and
is
not horrendously expensive to buy. Her wish is to attract birds into the
garden because at the moment she has no cover for them. Flowers or autumn
foliage colour would be a bonus.

One of the smaller sorbus cultivars would tick all the boxes. Flowers,
autumn colour foliage, white yellow or pink berries, bird food; and
pretty much foolproof.

Thank you all for your suggestions, some of which I had thought about but
there were others that I hadn't. All sent to the lady concerned and it's now
up to her to do some research and choose.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Pam Moore[_3_] 03-01-2015 05:44 PM

Tree for a very small garden

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 18:23:26 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

I put "very" in the title because the TV presenters idea of a small garden
and reality is not the same. We are talking about 20ft by 30ft. and it's
about 5 miles from Heathrow.

Friend needs a small decorative tree, preferably deciduous, for her back
garden, gets sun for a couple of hours daily, quite a protected site with
houses all around. Needs something that won't grow too tall or wide and is
not horrendously expensive to buy. Her wish is to attract birds into the
garden because at the moment she has no cover for them. Flowers or autumn
foliage colour would be a bonus.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

My garden is even smaller. I have 2 trees, one a columnar yew from
which I periodically cut the tallest trunk. I also have a red acer
palmatum which is much admired but now needing the attention of an
expert to take it back a bit.
Both have been in for 25 years and I've no regrets.
I also have a beech, 2 Scots pines, a ginkgo, 2 larches, a mulberry, a
cedar and a few other trees but those are all bonsai! The only way I
can grow an arboretum!!!
I remember on GQT Bunny Guinness once said "Every garden should have 2
trees with a rope slide between" (or words to that effect) and I have
taken all her advice since with a few pinches of salt!

david 03-01-2015 06:07 PM

Tree for a very small garden

wrote:

[...]

Far be it for me to disagree with Bunny Guinness but I would want then
spaced so you could sling a hammock between them.
David

Sacha[_11_] 03-01-2015 10:19 PM

Tree for a very small garden

On 2015-01-01 22:43:40 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Chris Hogg" wrote

"Bob Hobden"wrote:

I put "very" in the title because the TV presenters idea of a small garden
and reality is not the same. We are talking about 20ft by 30ft. and it's
about 5 miles from Heathrow.

Friend needs a small decorative tree, preferably deciduous, for her back
garden, gets sun for a couple of hours daily, quite a protected site with
houses all around. Needs something that won't grow too tall or wide and is
not horrendously expensive to buy. Her wish is to attract birds into the
garden because at the moment she has no cover for them. Flowers or autumn
foliage colour would be a bonus.

Something fastigiate? There's a selection here
http://tinyurl.com/ok88vbw including a couple of Liquidambars which
have good autumn colour. Some RHS suggestions here
http://tinyurl.com/pz7rgoh

Thanks Chris but we had a Liquidambar once, grew like Jack's beanstalk.

Did anyone suggest Amelanchier - Ray's suggestion.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Emery Davis[_3_] 03-01-2015 11:36 PM

Tree for a very small garden

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 17:44:35 +0000, Pam Moore wrote:

My garden is even smaller. I have 2 trees, one a columnar yew from which
I periodically cut the tallest trunk. I also have a red acer palmatum
which is much admired but now needing the attention of an expert to take
it back a bit.

Another idea is a small snakebark Acer. These are at best 4 season
trees: lovely shiny spring growth, dark summer leaves with red stems,
excellent yellow-orange fall colours, beautiful striped stems in winter.
What's more the stems change throughout the year, in some species going
from red to bright green. You might look at A. micranthum 'Candelabrum',
A. x conspicuum 'Silver Vein' (or 'Phoenix' or 'Mozart'), A. pectinatum
ssp forestii, A. tegmentosum.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Spider[_3_] 04-01-2015 12:32 PM

Tree for a very small garden

On 2015-01-01 22:43:40 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Chris Hogg" wrote

"Bob Hobden"wrote:

[...]

Yes. Martin did, Sacha. I also think it's a good choice.
If the garden were a little bigger, I would suggest Crataegus x
persimilis 'Prunifolia', the cherry-leaved hawthorn, a magnificent small
tree with white flowers May/June, fiery autumn foliage colour before
leaf-fall, then relatively large red berries. It does have huge thorns,
however, which is great for birds but requires caution in people and cats!
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Sacha[_11_] 04-01-2015 04:03 PM

Tree for a very small garden

On 2015-01-04 12:32:52 +0000, Spider said:

On 03/01/2015 22:19, Sacha wrote:
snip

Did anyone suggest Amelanchier - Ray's suggestion.

Yes. Martin did, Sacha. I also think it's a good choice.
If the garden were a little bigger, I would suggest Crataegus x
persimilis 'Prunifolia', the cherry-leaved hawthorn, a magnificent
small tree with white flowers May/June, fiery autumn foliage colour
before leaf-fall, then relatively large red berries. It does have huge
thorns, however, which is great for birds but requires caution in
people and cats!

Very pretty tree and yes, I think the Crataegus are very pretty but
possibly not where space is limited and you'd have to edge carefully
around it!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Pam Moore[_3_] 04-01-2015 04:09 PM

Tree for a very small garden

wrote:

[...]

I suppose I might just have room for the hammock, but certainly not
for the rope slide! (aerial runway!!!) Takes half a lifetime to grow
trees big enough though!