GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing Carrots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/211020-growing-carrots.html)

Judith in England 06-01-2015 02:59 PM

Growing Carrots

Any particular recommendations please?
Types - growing - protection from root-fly etc.

Broadback[_3_] 06-01-2015 04:21 PM

Growing Carrots

On 06/01/2015 14:59, Judith in England wrote:
Any particular recommendations please?
Types - growing - protection from root-fly etc.

In my experience,once you have the dreaded root fly,give up!

Bob Hobden[_5_] 06-01-2015 05:37 PM

Growing Carrots

"Judith in England" wrote

Any particular recommendations please?
Types - growing - protection from root-fly etc.

Because we are on a heavy clay/silt soil with stones we grow our carrots in
an old water tank using bought compost mixed with sand. Works well, we are
still cropping and only minor fly damage even this late probably because
they don't like flying up so high to get in the tank. Of course we could
just cover the tank with enviromesh and stop it completely, don't know why
we don't actually except we did try that on another plot and got bad
germination.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 06-01-2015 07:27 PM

Growing Carrots

In article ,
says...

"Judith in England" wrote

Any particular recommendations please?
Types - growing - protection from root-fly etc.

Because we are on a heavy clay/silt soil with stones we grow our carrots in
an old water tank using bought compost mixed with sand. Works well, we are
still cropping and only minor fly damage even this late probably because
they don't like flying up so high to get in the tank. Of course we could
just cover the tank with enviromesh and stop it completely, don't know why
we don't actually except we did try that on another plot and got bad
germination.

I get a reasonable crop, but they do tend to split/divide with
the stones!Very little if any troible from the fly.

Neighbour grows them in and old metal dustbin, and I may try
that this year.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Peter James[_6_] 07-01-2015 08:39 AM

Growing Carrots

Judith in England wrote:

Any particular recommendations please?
Types - growing - protection from root-fly etc.

On my allotment here in Cornwall the carrot fly is very bad.

I did try the socalled fly resistant varieties without any success. In
fact I am convinced that these "resistant" types are a con by the seed
producers.

I've given up trying to grow them in a flat bed, and now grow them in
the two halfs of a water butt that sprung a leak, and covered with
fleece.

Last year was the first year I got a crop.

Peter

--
-
The e-mail address obviously doesn't exist. If it's essential

Judith in England 09-01-2015 08:45 AM

Growing Carrots

On Tue, 06 Jan 2015 14:59:41 +0000, Judith in England
wrote:

Any particular recommendations please?
Types - growing - protection from root-fly etc.

Thanks for responses: I'll give them a go and report back.

Maurice & Doreen Larcombe[_2_] 15-01-2015 07:21 AM

Growing Carrots

wrote:

Any particular recommendations please?
Types - growing - protection from root-fly etc.

Thanks for responses: I'll give them a go and report back.

Learnt my lesson last/this year. Normally grow three 25M rows of Flyaway
covered by 2 metre wide builders mesh (the sort you see on building) on
frames. It's important to cover the edge of the mesh with soil to keep it
close to the ground. Normally have carrots through to Jan/Feb but because I
did not cover the edges after weeding they succumbed by the middle of
December.

Maurice