Old 07-05-2003, 10:44 AM
Adrian Jones

Default Collecting Hellebore Seeds

My hellebores seem to be producing seed pods. When and how do I collect the
seeds? Do I wait until they look like they're ready to burst or can I pick
the flowerhead complete with seed pod and keep it in a paper bag until
ready?

Thanks.

Old 07-05-2003, 11:20 AM
Pam Moore

On Wed, 7 May 2003 10:46:04 +0100, "Adrian Jones"
wrote:

My hellebores seem to be producing seed pods. When and how do I collect the
seeds? Do I wait until they look like they're ready to burst or can I pick
the flowerhead complete with seed pod and keep it in a paper bag until
ready?

Wait till the pods just start to split and the seeds are black and
then sow straight away. They soon lose viability.
Wait too long and they seed themselves!

Pam in Bristol
pamdotmooreatvirgindotnet
Old 07-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Anthony E Anson

The message
from "Adrian Jones" contains these words:

My hellebores seem to be producing seed pods. When and how do I collect the
seeds? Do I wait until they look like they're ready to burst or can I pick
the flowerhead complete with seed pod and keep it in a paper bag until
ready?

Last year I waited until the pods were just beginning to split and then
picked them and dried them in a bag in the workshop. Then the mice got
them.

--
Tony
Replace solidi with dots to reply: tony/anson snailything zetnet/co/uk

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi
Old 08-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Wed, 7 May 2003 10:46:04 +0100, Adrian Jones wrote:

My hellebores seem to be producing seed pods. When and how do I collect the
seeds? Do I wait until they look like they're ready to burst or can I pick
the flowerhead complete with seed pod and keep it in a paper bag until
ready?

Don't handle the seed with your bare hands. It can cause
blisters.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Worm collecting farms - collecting/harvesting worms? anm Edible Gardening 0 19-08-2009 11:27 AM
Hellebore Seeds Janice United Kingdom 5 12-09-2003 07:22 PM
Hellebore Seeds Janice United Kingdom 2 11-09-2003 11:18 PM
Hellebore seedlings ... Tugger United Kingdom 2 07-05-2003 10:44 AM
Hellebore Orientalis Jack United Kingdom 1 11-02-2003 12:29 AM