GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hardening off in this weather (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/211072-hardening-off-weather.html)

Broadback[_3_] 19-01-2015 12:20 PM

Hardening off in this weather

I have 24 healthy broad bean plants that I have grown from seed in an
unheated detached garage. They will soon be past their prime to plant
out, but they need hardening off first. With the temperature being at or
near freezing in the day can I still follow the normal procedure for
hardening? Or should I wait for the weather to warm up, no sign of that
yet in the forecast?

David Hill 19-01-2015 01:30 PM

On 19/01/2015 12:20, Broadback wrote:
I have 24 healthy broad bean plants that I have grown from seed in an
unheated detached garage. They will soon be past their prime to plant
out, but they need hardening off first. With the temperature being at or
near freezing in the day can I still follow the normal procedure for
hardening? Or should I wait for the weather to warm up, no sign of that
yet in the forecast?

Put them out in the day when the temp is above freezing and bring them
in again at night, they will benefit from the daylight.

Christina Websell 26-01-2015 07:45 PM

"Broadback" wrote in message
I have 24 healthy broad bean plants that I have grown from seed in an
unheated detached garage. They will soon be past their prime to plant out,
but they need hardening off first. With the temperature being at or near
freezing in the day can I still follow the normal procedure for hardening?
Or should I wait for the weather to warm up, no sign of that yet in the
forecast?

I agree with David's advice given that they've been grown in an unheated
garage, I'd risk 12 of them anyway. Perhaps a little bit of bubblewrap
around them at first?