Old 19-01-2015, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Britains Best Back Gardens , bamboo care

I've been enjoying this ITV series.

Recently, presenter AT made some throwaway remark about "cleaning
(foliage off) the lower stems of his bamboo".

I've never done that to mine (or heard of it before) but it would
certainly show off the stems and high foliage to advantage.

??? Any experience or tips?

Janet.

Old 19-01-2015, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/01/2015 14:29, Janet wrote:

I've been enjoying this ITV series.

Recently, presenter AT made some throwaway remark about "cleaning
(foliage off) the lower stems of his bamboo".

I've never done that to mine (or heard of it before) but it would
certainly show off the stems and high foliage to advantage.

??? Any experience or tips?

Janet.

I've been enjoying this series, too. There are some lovely gardens. I
also admired the "cleaned culm" bamboo. I have often seen the lower
growth removed to show off the culms, but this was the first time I saw
the middle growth removed to create two leafy tiers. Very attractive.
I don't grow bamboo so have no real experience, but I imagine it's
extremely straight forward. I suggest you wear gloves if you try it, as
some culms can tear the skin. Your biggest decision is whether to clear
the base of your stems, or copy that lovely two-tier version which
remined me very much of cloud pruning.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 19-01-2015, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
t...

I've been enjoying this ITV series.

Recently, presenter AT made some throwaway remark about "cleaning
(foliage off) the lower stems of his bamboo".

I've never done that to mine (or heard of it before) but it would
certainly show off the stems and high foliage to advantage.

??? Any experience or tips?

Janet.

I do this to all mine just use secateurs to take off every thing below a
certain height, means you can have evergreen height and still look through
to what ever is beyond or just enjoy the stems (culms)

this is one of mine in the background taken last year in Feb
https://www.flickr.com/photos/892196...57632878590689

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 20-01-2015, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...

"Janet" wrote in message
t...

I've been enjoying this ITV series.

Recently, presenter AT made some throwaway remark about "cleaning
(foliage off) the lower stems of his bamboo".

I've never done that to mine (or heard of it before) but it would
certainly show off the stems and high foliage to advantage.

??? Any experience or tips?

Janet.

I do this to all mine just use secateurs to take off every thing below a
certain height, means you can have evergreen height and still look
through
to what ever is beyond or just enjoy the stems (culms)

that's just what I want

this is one of mine in the background taken last year in Feb
https://www.flickr.com/photos/892196...57632878590689

Thanks Charlie.. nice jungle :-) what's that nice chunky yellow stem
one? Mine is yellow but much skinnier culms

Is it okay to do the whole trim
at once, and in winter? Or should I stagger it?

Janet

That Bamboo is Phyllastachys vivax aureocaulis, and I do mine and all the
others when ever I have time or spot it needs doing, Bamboo are so vigorous
that slowing them down a bit does no harm, I probably wouldn't start doing
it until the plant was well established and throwing up new culms.

I have around 9 different bamboos here but vivax aureocaulis is a favourite
(although at 30 feet its not the biggest) and I have it in 3 different
places it can however be badly behaved like this one I thought safely
contained in a concrete planting bed
https://www.flickr.com/photos/89219640@N04/16138083639/
Now trying to break the walls down!
I think Bamboo is best planted where you can get all around the plant with a
mattock and saw!