Old 03-02-2015, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default first crocus out!

Purple blooms poking through the snow! Awful weather here, cold and
slippery. In spite of that these are flowering a bit early, although the
snowdrops have been going for weeks now. Daffs are probably 2-3 weeks
away, I don't think it's cold enough to burn the buds.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 03-02-2015, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 Feb 2015 11:51:15 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:

Purple blooms poking through the snow! Awful weather here, cold and
slippery. In spite of that these are flowering a bit early, although the
snowdrops have been going for weeks now. Daffs are probably 2-3 weeks
away, I don't think it's cold enough to burn the buds.

-E

There are a few white ones in my garden. Bright sunshine here today
but very cold.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 03-02-2015, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 13:52:57 +0100, Martin wrote:

On 3 Feb 2015 11:51:15 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:

Purple blooms poking through the snow! Awful weather here, cold and
slippery. In spite of that these are flowering a bit early, although the
snowdrops have been going for weeks now.

Snowdrops since Xmas. Crocuses in flower for a week, despite all rain
sleet snow and hail.

I guess our snowdrops came out just after the new year. They're really
lovely, so long lasting. I wish I knew the variety but they're just them
as was here... the crocuses really give me hope for the beginning of the
end, though!

Daffs are probably 2-3 weeks
away, I don't think it's cold enough to burn the buds.

We have geraniums/pelargoniums in the garden that we forgot to bring in
before the first frosts. They seem to have survived the frost Lowest
this temperature this year so far is around -4C.

That's right where we've gotten to this year. Last year it never froze
at all, not even a ground frost, I hope that doesn't bode ill for late
frosts this year. In spite of the cold, some of the early maples like
Acers ginalla and mandshuricum already have swollen buds and are getting
ready to go.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 03-02-2015, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 13:03:07 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

There are a few white ones in my garden. Bright sunshine here today but
very cold.

The white ones are lovely, and of course show best in the bright.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 04-02-2015, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/02/2015 17:45, Emery Davis wrote:
On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 13:03:07 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

There are a few white ones in my garden. Bright sunshine here today but
very cold.

The white ones are lovely, and of course show best in the bright.

Here the crocus started to come out New year, and there must be around
20 now in flower.
I have found the first snowdrop in a pot showing a flower but those in
open ground, not a sign.
The first daffs are still going strong after a month, the flowers are
lasting well, the 2nd variety is now a few days from opening.
David @ the sunny side of Swansea Bay

Old 04-02-2015, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps9b438966.jpg
Old 04-02-2015, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

Here the crocus started to come out New year, and there must

be around
20 now in flower.
I have found the first snowdrop in a pot showing a flower but those in
open ground, not a sign.
The first daffs are still going strong after a month, the flowers are
lasting well, the 2nd variety is now a few days from opening.
David @ the sunny side of Swansea Bay

Strange, here 40 miles inland and 700ft higher snowdrops have
been out for a week or so now. Admittedly the are mostly under
shrubs/hedges, but some are in open ground.

Very few signs of the crocus crop though, but in the churchyard
up the road there is a mass of those pale blue crocuses that
come up without leaves. I'd love to get some of those, but
would feel a little concerned about digging up anything in a
graveyard.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 04-02-2015, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

Here the crocus started to come out New year, and there must

be around
20 now in flower.
I have found the first snowdrop in a pot showing a flower but those in
open ground, not a sign.
The first daffs are still going strong after a month, the flowers are
lasting well, the 2nd variety is now a few days from opening.
David @ the sunny side of Swansea Bay

Strange, here 40 miles inland and 700ft higher snowdrops have
been out for a week or so now. Admittedly the are mostly under
shrubs/hedges, but some are in open ground.

Very few signs of the crocus crop though, but in the churchyard
up the road there is a mass of those pale blue crocuses that
come up without leaves. I'd love to get some of those, but
would feel a little concerned about digging up anything in a
graveyard.

That takes me back! "The Adventure of the Luminous Lily" :-)

Crocuses seem to be like that. A few of mine poke through
together with the first few snowdrops showing white, then the
sheltered snowdrops, then the open-ground ones, and much later
the crocuses appear in quantity. Dunny why.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/02/2015 16:10, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

Here the crocus started to come out New year, and there must

be around
20 now in flower.
I have found the first snowdrop in a pot showing a flower but those in
open ground, not a sign.
The first daffs are still going strong after a month, the flowers are
lasting well, the 2nd variety is now a few days from opening.
David @ the sunny side of Swansea Bay

Strange, here 40 miles inland and 700ft higher snowdrops have
been out for a week or so now. Admittedly the are mostly under
shrubs/hedges, but some are in open ground.

Very few signs of the crocus crop though, but in the churchyard
up the road there is a mass of those pale blue crocuses that
come up without leaves. I'd love to get some of those, but
would feel a little concerned about digging up anything in a
graveyard.

I think what you have there are Colchicum, a lot of different varieties.
As for digging in the graveyard, I doubt you would disturb the
inhabitants, they should be deeper than any bulbs would be.

Old 04-02-2015, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On 3 Feb 2015 11:51:15 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:

Purple blooms poking through the snow! Awful weather here, cold and
slippery. In spite of that these are flowering a bit early, although the
snowdrops have been going for weeks now.

Snowdrops since Xmas. Crocuses in flower for a week, despite all rain

sleet snow
and hail.

Blimey! That's almost 2 months early. Our's started 2nd week in January and
that's something of a record around here given that they normally start
flowering mid Feb.

Daffs are probably 2-3 weeks
away, I don't think it's cold enough to burn the buds.

We have geraniums/pelargoniums in the garden that we forgot to bring in

before
the first frosts. They seem to have survived the frost
Lowest this temperature this year so far is around -4C.

You have been pretty lucky. My pelargoniums did not survive -1° C, although
I've found they can just about handle 0° C. This time I brought all of mine
in once the cold snap was forecast.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 4 Feb 2015 23:01:59 -0000, FrankB wrote:

Purple blooms poking through the snow! Awful weather here, cold

and
slippery. In spite of that these are flowering a bit early,

although thesnowdrops have been going for weeks now.

Snowdrops since Xmas. Crocuses in flower for a week, despite all

rain
sleet snow and hail.

Blimey! That's almost 2 months early. Our's started 2nd week in January
and that's something of a record around here given that they normally
start flowering mid Feb.

Daffs are probably 2-3 weeks away,

More like 2 months away ... Can't comment of the state of
Snowdrops/Daffs as they are still under the 6" of snow that fell last
week. The 2-3 foot drifts have shrunk a bit due to compaction.

http://www.howhill.com/weather/webcam.php

YaddMoss cams look nice in the sunshine this morning, the sking tow
will open shortly:

http://www.yadmoss.co.uk/

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 05 Feb 2015 10:51:56 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 13:39:42 +0000, David Hill

wrote:

On 04/02/2015 10:39, David Hill wrote:
On 03/02/2015 17:45, Emery Davis wrote:
On Tue, 03 Feb 2015 13:03:07 +0000, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

There are a few white ones in my garden. Bright sunshine here today
but very cold.

The white ones are lovely, and of course show best in the bright.

Here the crocus started to come out New year, and there must be around
20 now in flower.
I have found the first snowdrop in a pot showing a flower but those in
open ground, not a sign.
The first daffs are still going strong after a month, the flowers are
lasting well, the 2nd variety is now a few days from opening.
David @ the sunny side of Swansea Bay

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/taffy4u2/2015/

Febcrocus01_zps9b438966.jpg

Ours are partly covered in snow

Those yellow crocuses are really cheery, thanks David.

Snow mostly gone here (all gone in the valley) with just a little icy
crust left here and there. But -4C forecast tonight, that's pretty cold
for us. Looks like getting back to normals over the WE though.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 05-02-2015, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/02/2015 20:15, David Hill wrote:
[...]

I would have thought they'd be more likely to be Crocus speciosus,
David. I'm not aware of a pale blue colchicum.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...sus_clump3.jpg

If C. speciosus is, indeed, what Roger admires, they're not that hard to
obtain. They usually appear in the late summer/autumn catalogues.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 05-02-2015, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/02/2015 14:22, Spider wrote:
[...]

I suppose it depends on where Lilac finishes for you and Blue begins.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/02/2015 16:00, David Hill wrote:
[...]

I've never thought of Lilac as being blue, to be honest, although there
is *some* blue in it. I imagine you're thinking of Colchicum 'Lilac
Wonder'? It is undoubtedly pretty, if not truly blue. Hopefully, Roger
will come up and comment. Maybe he's done to the graveyard to take a
picture.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

First crocus David Hill United Kingdom 2 27-12-2016 11:25 PM
Crocus Barr's Purple ramyad Gardening 0 04-04-2009 04:10 AM
my first teeny golden crocus madgardener Gardening 2 29-01-2005 06:54 PM
Question on Crocus The first crocuses!!! Frank Gardening 4 20-02-2004 11:49 AM
Crocus speciosus/heav digger doug United Kingdom 0 16-11-2002 11:28 PM