Old 18-02-2015, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Which snowdrop?

Possibly the biggest snowdrop that I've ever seen, though there are some
vigorous G. woronowii in a nearby wood. Leaves 25mm wide with glacous
stripes, a distinct midrib beneath, and plicate margins. Petalmarks
occupying most of the lower half on the inner tepals.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG

--
SRH
Old 23-02-2015, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Possibly the biggest snowdrop that I've ever seen, though there are some
vigorous G. woronowii in a nearby wood. Leaves 25mm wide with glacous
stripes, a distinct midrib beneath, and plicate margins. Petalmarks
occupying most of the lower half on the inner tepals.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG

--
SRH

Very interesting, never seen leaves as broad as that, but sorry I can't help
with what it is.

I am extremely proud of my double snowdrops which came from Germany, but I
also don't know what they are. I'd love to know too.
I hope a snowdrop expert comes along to give you a better reply.

Old 23-02-2015, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/02/2015 22:12, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
Possibly the biggest snowdrop that I've ever seen, though there are some
vigorous G. woronowii in a nearby wood. Leaves 25mm wide with glacous
stripes, a distinct midrib beneath, and plicate margins. Petalmarks
occupying most of the lower half on the inner tepals.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG

Sorry I can't help, except to suggest that you send your pics to the RHS
which has a fairly big collection, plus galanthophiles oozing out of
every orrifice. Sure one of them could help.

I did have a look on line on your behalf and there are some good sites
belonging to collectors, but remarkably few show leaves, just the
differences in individual flowers. Not always enough diagnostic
information.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 24-02-2015, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote

Possibly the biggest snowdrop that I've ever seen, though there are some
vigorous G. woronowii in a nearby wood. Leaves 25mm wide with glacous
stripes, a distinct midrib beneath, and plicate margins. Petalmarks
occupying most of the lower half on the inner tepals.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG

Took a walk around Kew Gardens today and strolled through the rock garden
where I know there are lots of snowdrops. The nearest I could get to those
in your photos was... Galanthus elwesii "Yvonne Hay" .

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-02-2015, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24/02/2015 16:57, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote

Possibly the biggest snowdrop that I've ever seen, though there are
some vigorous G. woronowii in a nearby wood. Leaves 25mm wide with
glacous stripes, a distinct midrib beneath, and plicate margins.
Petalmarks occupying most of the lower half on the inner tepals.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG

Took a walk around Kew Gardens today and strolled through the rock
garden where I know there are lots of snowdrops. The nearest I could get
to those in your photos was... Galanthus elwesii "Yvonne Hay" .

It seems to me that it differs from 'Yvonne Hay' in have a less erect
habit, plicate leaves, and a smaller petalmark. My thoughts were
Galanthus elwestii x plicatus.

Having browsed the web a little more I find there's a hyperrobust
Galanthus plicatus cultivar ('Colossus'), but that has yet smaller
petalmarks.

--
SRH

Old 06-03-2015, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/02/2015 19:01, Spider wrote:
On 18/02/2015 22:12, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
Possibly the biggest snowdrop that I've ever seen, though there are some
vigorous G. woronowii in a nearby wood. Leaves 25mm wide with glacous
stripes, a distinct midrib beneath, and plicate margins. Petalmarks
occupying most of the lower half on the inner tepals.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG

Sorry I can't help, except to suggest that you send your pics to the RHS
which has a fairly big collection, plus galanthophiles oozing out of
every orrifice. Sure one of them could help.

You reminded me that I have access to the RHS identification service.
Their identification is Galanthus plicatus.

It does bear some resemblance to the cultivar Galanthus plicatus
'Colossus', but I think that it has larger petalmarks than that.

Old 06-03-2015, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/03/2015 09:03, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
On 23/02/2015 19:01, Spider wrote:
On 18/02/2015 22:12, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
Possibly the biggest snowdrop that I've ever seen, though there are some
vigorous G. woronowii in a nearby wood. Leaves 25mm wide with glacous
stripes, a distinct midrib beneath, and plicate margins. Petalmarks
occupying most of the lower half on the inner tepals.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/DSCF1018.JPG

Sorry I can't help, except to suggest that you send your pics to the RHS
which has a fairly big collection, plus galanthophiles oozing out of
every orrifice. Sure one of them could help.

You reminded me that I have access to the RHS identification service.
Their identification is Galanthus plicatus.

That's great:~). I'm glad you managed to identify it.

It does bear some resemblance to the cultivar Galanthus plicatus
'Colossus', but I think that it has larger petalmarks than that.

I did have a look on line on your behalf and there are some good sites
belonging to collectors, but remarkably few show leaves, just the
differences in individual flowers. Not always enough diagnostic
information.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London
gardening on heavy clay

Potato "snowdrop" Ted Richardson United Kingdom 0 07-01-2005 01:14 AM
Flowering snowdrop Aphodius United Kingdom 3 17-10-2003 11:32 AM
Snowdrop planting Jack United Kingdom 22 24-03-2003 05:56 PM
Leucojum vernum, was Snowdrop planting Rodger Whitlock United Kingdom 0 19-03-2003 05:20 PM
Potato-"Snowdrop" Karl Grave United Kingdom 0 22-12-2002 01:14 AM