Old 27-02-2015, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Accurate, Handy K-type Thermometer

Just bought this K type TM-902C Thermometer for £3.45p inc postage. So far
I've found it dead useful for testing the soil temp in my electric
propagator.

I've also used for for making bread and yoghurt. It come with the usual K
thermocouple. Battery required is the 9v smoke alarm type :-

http://tinyurl.com/o79fbaa

The supplied loose-wire t/c can be discarded and replaced with a K stainless
steel t/c probe at £1.08p + £0.19p

http://tinyurl.com/nnfhcuu

They both come direct from HK via airmail and it'll take about 2 weeks to
arrive. Really good value IMO for under a fiver.

There are loads of these TM-902C available thru UK based suppliers but
expect to pay 3 or 4 quid more.

Before Easter, I must google the best soil temp for me seed potatoes :-)

Old 27-02-2015, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 16:25:52 -0000, "Bertie Doe"
wrote:
Before Easter, I must google the best soil temp for me seed potatoes :-)

Two tests for a thermocouple: does it read zero (or very close to it)
in a mix of ice and water that's been allowed to stand for a while,
and does it read close to 100 (or very close to it) when held in the
steam just down inside the spout of a boiling kettle (but not actually
in the boiling water)? If it meets those two tests, I'd be happy with
it.

I'll try that over the w/end. I'll borrow my neighbour's expensive Omega K
type thermometer and do a comparison.

Old 28-02-2015, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bertie Doe wrote:

Thermometer [...] useful for testing the soil temp in my electric
propagator [...] also used for for making bread and yoghurt.

I hope you dunked it in Jeyes Fluid between :-P

Old 28-02-2015, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Bertie Doe wrote:

Thermometer [...] useful for testing the soil temp in my electric
propagator [...] also used for for making bread and yoghurt.

I hope you dunked it in Jeyes Fluid between :-P

To flavour the yoghourt?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-02-2015, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message ...

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Bertie Doe wrote:

Thermometer [...] useful for testing the soil temp in my electric
propagator [...] also used for for making bread and yoghurt.

I hope you dunked it in Jeyes Fluid between :-P

To flavour the yoghourt?

I read on the internet (so it must be true) taking the family's body
temperature, sterilizes the s/s probe.

Well, no sickness or complaints thus far ...

Old 01-03-2015, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Andy Burns wrote:

Bertie Doe wrote:

Thermometer [...] useful for testing the soil temp in my electric
propagator [...] also used for for making bread and yoghurt.

I hope you dunked it in Jeyes Fluid between :-P

Well, if you have any stock left, originally bought for now
forbidden purposes (moss killing?) it means that you can still
use it up. ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 16:25:52 -0000, "Bertie Doe"
There are loads of these TM-902C available thru UK based suppliers but
expect to pay 3 or 4 quid more.

Before Easter, I must google the best soil temp for me seed potatoes :-)

Two tests for a thermocouple: does it read zero (or very close to it)
in a mix of ice and water that's been allowed to stand for a while,
and does it read close to 100 (or very close to it) when held in the
steam just down inside the spout of a boiling kettle (but not actually
in the boiling water)? If it meets those two tests, I'd be happy with
it.

I do have another K type which I bought on ebay for about 10 quid, 5 years
ago. It's the blue one in the following pics.

The 2-wire t/c supplied, sits permanently in the boiler of my espresso
machine. The s/s t/c probe is used for bread and yoghurt.

The cheapo (black) on will be kept in the allotment shed, it will be used on
soil and also checking g/house temps etc.

Freezing test. Didn't have an ice cube mould so used 4 x 100 ml yoghurt
pots. Perhaps if I'd hammered them into a slush, I may have got to Zero :-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s5sj9sdb8g...10865.JPG?dl=0

Tap water. Got close to my neighbour's expensive Omega :-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ybdcff5a7f...10875.JPG?dl=0

Boiling water. Bit short but close enough :-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/plb6p6x2n0...10877.JPG?dl=0

Both the Omega and my blue thermometers have dual input facilities and a
set-screw to tweak the temps +/-. The cheapo one doesn't have these options.
Over the last 5 years I've only used the dual input once (on the espresso
machine).

My blue one has an auto switch-off mode. The cheapo one does not. No problem
as I have loadsa re-chargable 9 volts.

I believe it's accurate enough - for the intended use. Change from £5 for
thermometer and s/s t/c probe is well worth the money IMO.