Old 06-03-2015, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What kind of brushes for fertilising plants?

I am going to start soon fertilising alders with their pollen. "With
an artist's paint brush" is the usual advice, but even though I am not
an artist, I know that there are many kinds of "artist's paint brush".
Which kind should I use?

Let me do a bit of start-up thinking. The pollen has to stick to the
bristles to a moderate extent; if the pollen doesn't stick at all,
then the paint brush won't carry the pollen and it won't be any use,
but I also want the pollen not to be held too firmly otherwise no
fertilisation will be achieved.

This has prompted me to think a little for myself. How useful is it
going to be to look at the bristle of the paint brush to check how
much pollen is on them, before and after?

Michael Bell
--

---

Old 06-03-2015, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/03/2015 11:46, Michael Bell wrote:
I am going to start soon fertilising alders with their pollen. "With
an artist's paint brush" is the usual advice, but even though I am not
an artist, I know that there are many kinds of "artist's paint brush".
Which kind should I use?

Let me do a bit of start-up thinking. The pollen has to stick to the
bristles to a moderate extent; if the pollen doesn't stick at all,
then the paint brush won't carry the pollen and it won't be any use,
but I also want the pollen not to be held too firmly otherwise no
fertilisation will be achieved.

This has prompted me to think a little for myself. How useful is it
going to be to look at the bristle of the paint brush to check how
much pollen is on them, before and after?

Michael Bell

You may like to look at make-up brushes, used for applying fine films of
powder, a very similar application to pollenation.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 06-03-2015, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 06 Mar 2015 12:46:08 +0100, Michael Bell
wrote:

I am going to start soon fertilising alders with their pollen. "With
an artist's paint brush" is the usual advice, but even though I am not
an artist, I know that there are many kinds of "artist's paint brush".
Which kind should I use?

Squirrel hair or use a real squirrel if you can catch one.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 06-03-2015, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/03/2015 11:46, Michael Bell wrote:
I am going to start soon fertilising alders with their pollen. "With
an artist's paint brush" is the usual advice, but even though I am not
an artist, I know that there are many kinds of "artist's paint brush".
Which kind should I use?

Let me do a bit of start-up thinking. The pollen has to stick to the
bristles to a moderate extent; if the pollen doesn't stick at all,
then the paint brush won't carry the pollen and it won't be any use,
but I also want the pollen not to be held too firmly otherwise no
fertilisation will be achieved.

This has prompted me to think a little for myself. How useful is it
going to be to look at the bristle of the paint brush to check how
much pollen is on them, before and after?

Michael Bell

Depends how flushed you feel,
You could use sable or a cheepy "Kids" paintbrush, needs to be soft and
of a size to suit the flowers it will be used on (I know you wont be
using it on flowers but others may).
For tomatoes etc it used to be a rabbits tail (With the rabbit removed).
David @ spring like side of Swansea Bay.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
David Hill wrote:

[...]

I have gone with the suggestion of a woman's make-up brush. Pollen is
a powder and women's make-up brushes are designed for use with
powders, rather than liquids as paint brushes are, I think that is the
crucial difference. There are no rabbits in my garden, and this brush
seems to get fairly near to that quality of feel.

I must say I felt a little funny buying women's stuff, but all in the
name of science!

Michael Bell

--

---

Old 07-03-2015, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I must say I felt a little funny buying women's stuff, but all in the
name of science!

They can't touch you for it

Old 07-03-2015, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 08:37:19 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

I must say I felt a little funny buying women's stuff, but all in the
name of science!

They can't touch you for it

No mention of Basil Brush.

I should hope not! Any gardener should know that basil and alder
won't cross-pollinate.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/03/2015 22:58, Michael Bell wrote:
In message
David Hill wrote:

[...]

:~)). Good for you. You wouldn't be the first, actually. It has been
done before. Some male anglers even use womens' tights under their
trews when fishing in winter as they're so cosy. After that, asking for
a mere make-up brush is child's play;~).
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 07-03-2015, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:

[...]

I knew somebody who wore women's tights under his trousers when sailing. He got
some odd looks in the showers of a sailing club he visited.

I bet he did! No calls of "hello sailor", then? ;~)
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 08-03-2015, 06:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:

[...]

We men tend to think of women's clothing as ridiculous and
impractical. But we see now that it is more practical than it looks.
They wear tights not only under skirts, but under trousers too.

Michael Bell

--

---

Old 08-03-2015, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Michael Bell" wrote in message
. uk...

David Hill wrote:

[...]

Speak for yourself! ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 08-03-2015, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/03/2015 06:42, Michael Bell wrote:

David Hill wrote:

[...]

Certainly female clothing is more practical now than it used to be, but
there are still a few frills and fripperies to be dispensed with before
venturing into the garden, but tights on chilly days are de rigeur.
Alas, they don't yet make them for spiders!
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 08-03-2015, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/03/2015 08:33, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 07:42:37 +0100, Michael Bell
wrote:

David Hill wrote:

[...]

Not very practical for men when they want to go to the toilet.

So use a cubicle if you're that shy;~)
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 08-03-2015, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:

[...]

Only from those who worked for him and behind his back.

All the more worrying, I would have thought! :~)))
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 09-03-2015, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Martin wrote:

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 07:42:37 +0100, Michael Bell
wrote:

David Hill wrote:

[...]

No better for women!

Michael Bell