Old 10-03-2015, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Planting grass seed

What temperatures do i need to wait for before i can plant grass seed?
I'm thinking in a few weeks will be the earliest

Thanks

---

Old 10-03-2015, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/03/2015 17:35, Sea Drummer wrote:

What temperatures do i need to wait for before i can plant grass seed?
I'm thinking in a few weeks will be the earliest

Thanks

---

Here I'd be quite happy to sow it now as long as the ground wasn't
waterlogged.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

What temperatures do i need to wait for before i can plant grass seed?
I'm thinking in a few weeks will be the earliest

I'd wait until you hear the first lawnmowers of spring.

Janet.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/03/2015 18:00, David Hill wrote:
On 10/03/2015 17:35, Sea Drummer wrote:

What temperatures do i need to wait for before i can plant grass seed?
I'm thinking in a few weeks will be the earliest

Here I'd be quite happy to sow it now as long as the ground wasn't
waterlogged.

The birds will certainly enjoy eating it at this time of year.

I'd wait until the grass is obviously growing and the soil is a bit
warmer so that the seed will germinate reasonably quickly after sowing.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 11-03-2015, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/03/2015 18:50, Janet wrote:
I'd wait until you hear the first lawnmowers of spring

That was last Saturday.

Andy

Old 11-03-2015, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/03/2015 21:03, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 10/03/2015 18:50, Janet wrote:
I'd wait until you hear the first lawnmowers of spring

That was last Saturday.

Andy

Round here the council cut the grass on the roundabouts in the middle of
February
Old 12-03-2015, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 11/03/2015 21:03, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 10/03/2015 18:50, Janet wrote:
I'd wait until you hear the first lawnmowers of spring

That was last Saturday.

Andy

Round here the council cut the grass on the roundabouts in the middle of
February

Was that last year's old growth? Hard to believe it was this year's
new growth.

The grass hasn't started into growth yet, here, and anyway the ground
is far too saturated for walking on let alone machines.

Janet. (Arran)
Old 12-03-2015, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

Round here the council cut the grass on the roundabouts in the middle of
February

Was that last year's old growth? Hard to believe it was this year's
new growth.

The grass hasn't started into growth yet, here, and anyway the ground
is far too saturated for walking on let alone machines.

Thank you for giving your location Janet. Most don't, rendering their
contributions - rubbish! Location is particularly important when discussing
sowing lawn seed. The critical factor is SOIL temperature. Grass seed
will start to germinate when the soil temperature is above 5C. (41F. for
David), but at this temperature will be slow and sporadic. Best to
wait until the soil temperature is above 8C. (46F.)

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

Old 12-03-2015, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Janet wrote:

The grass hasn't started into growth yet, here, and anyway the
ground is far too saturated for walking on let alone machines.

Janet. (Arran)

I suspect it will be another several weeks before my lawn is OK to walk
on.

--
Chris (Berkshire)
Old 12-03-2015, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 23:38:35 +0000, Janet wrote:

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 11/03/2015 21:03, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 10/03/2015 18:50, Janet wrote:
I'd wait until you hear the first lawnmowers of spring

That was last Saturday.

Andy

Round here the council cut the grass on the roundabouts in the middle
of February

Was that last year's old growth? Hard to believe it was this year's
new growth.

Plenty of new growth here, but only in the drier places. So I imagine
there is in the south west, anyway, maybe Wales too. Lawn is looking
very tufty and I'd love to give it a once over, but would do more harm
than good.

It's been so wet, I don't think I've ever seen the fields so grey/brown.

I've got a place where the tractor left muddy tracks and the grass is
gone, but I don't envisage sowing for about a month still.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 12-03-2015, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/03/2015 09:24, philgurr wrote:
"Janet" wrote in message
In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

Round here the council cut the grass on the roundabouts in the middle of
February

Was that last year's old growth? Hard to believe it was this year's
new growth.

The grass hasn't started into growth yet, here, and anyway the ground
is far too saturated for walking on let alone machines.

Thank you for giving your location Janet. Most don't, rendering their
contributions - rubbish! Location is particularly important when discussing
sowing lawn seed. The critical factor is SOIL temperature. Grass seed
will start to germinate when the soil temperature is above 5C. (41F. for
David), but at this temperature will be slow and sporadic. Best to
wait until the soil temperature is above 8C. (46F.)

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

I quite agree Phil, it's just a pity that the OP didn't bother to give a
location.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/03/2015 09:54, Emery Davis wrote:
[...]

Dandelions starting to flower on the verges and saw a Blackthorn almost
in flower today, the bush looked white with half open buds.
David @ a damp side of Swansea bay

Old 14-03-2015, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/03/2015 09:07, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:34:08 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

On 12/03/2015 09:54, Emery Davis wrote:
Plenty of new growth here, but only in the drier places. So I imagine
there is in the south west, anyway, maybe Wales too. Lawn is looking
very tufty and I'd love to give it a once over, but would do more harm
than good.

It's been so wet, I don't think I've ever seen the fields so grey/brown.

I've got a place where the tractor left muddy tracks and the grass is
gone, but I don't envisage sowing for about a month still.

Dandelions starting to flower on the verges and saw a Blackthorn almost
in flower today, the bush looked white with half open buds.
David @ a damp side of Swansea bay

We've had white frosts for the last three nights, although during the day it
reached 10C to 12C.

Never mind the Ides of March.. beware the Blackthorn winter.

--
Sue

Old 15-03-2015, 12:56 AM
Registered User

I sowed some seed a bit too early last year and the birds ate it all up. I think it was a cheap brand though. I've since discovered that many brands nowadays are treated with something to deter birds.

I found this guide from the RHS https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=424.

planting grass seed in north florida during the winter? [email protected] Gardening 0 29-12-2006 12:54 PM
Grass Seed/Planting bthiede Gardening 1 24-08-2006 08:40 PM
Sowed grass seed, when will grass appear? MM United Kingdom 7 27-04-2005 02:39 AM
Planting grass seed JC Gardening 4 01-04-2005 02:29 PM
Help w/seed planting climate zones robohop Gardening 2 03-04-2003 01:08 PM