Old 11-03-2015, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to make a good seed-sowing tilth?

What's the best way to make a good tilth (for sowing parsnip seeds) on
fairly heavy soil?
--
Chris
Old 11-03-2015, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris" wrote

What's the best way to make a good tilth (for sowing parsnip seeds) on
fairly heavy soil?

What I used to do was keep all my old compost from repotting stuff. Then
each sowing time I would make holes along the sowing line like I do when I
plant out leeks and fill them with the old compost and plant the parsnip
seed into that at 3+ per station. Saves on the thinning out a bit too and
you get a nice neat even row.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 14-03-2015, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
What's the best way to make a good tilth (for sowing parsnip seeds) on
fairly heavy soil?
--
Chris

Add a lot of sand. I can't grow parnips in my garden (which is heavy soil,
they hate it) but "down on my land in the village" which is sandy, they do
well as do carrots.

Problem on sandy soil is ants, undermining the planting. I want a sign
"green woodpeckers welcome here"
Maybe they do come while I'm not there - but they aren't doing a good job if
they do..

Tilth trouble Chris[_3_] United Kingdom 19 21-03-2009 08:33 PM
How to get a fine tilth in iron hard land? Chris[_3_] United Kingdom 14 09-05-2007 11:06 PM
Sowing phalaenopsis ; sowing medium question Aaron Hicks Orchids 4 03-11-2004 01:54 AM
Sowing Grass Seed Steve United Kingdom 4 17-10-2003 09:22 AM
[IBC] conifers seed sowing guidelines Claudio Fierro Bonsai 0 11-04-2003 06:44 PM