Old 15-03-2015, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Juniper berries

Good morning.

Yet another of my wifes' awesome uncles has begun providing us with
knowledge, pratical help and objects. Having learned that we had begun
producing our own “sauerkraut” (don't tell me that you have no other
word for that), he brought a big bag of juniper berries (« bees de
genièvre », „Wacholderbeeren“).

In the meantime, I have looked-up some information on those berries but
do still not understand how to treat them now. They are still attached
to their little juniper twigs and are almost all green.

My question is, how do I handle the berries to be able to use them in
the kitchen?
-) Have they been picked too early anyway, as you have to wait for
september or october, normally
-) Will they become blue/black while staying attached to the twigs
-) Do I have to pick them off the twigs and let them dry in a dark and
well-aired place?

Thank you in advance.

Michael

--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
Old 15-03-2015, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article u,
Michael Uplawski wrote:

[...]

They almost certainly won't ripen once picked. I have no idea
what green ones are like, but a quick Web search indicates that
they can be used for flavouring, just like ripe ones, but are less
interesting. You have nothing to lose by trying them!

Don't give too much to any woman between 6 and 60 (seriously), as
they contain small quantities of an abortifacient.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-03-2015, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/03/2015 11:37, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article u,
Michael Uplawski wrote:

[...]

The only sensible way to use them is to make gin!. :-)
Old 15-03-2015, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Broadback wrote:

The only sensible way to use them is to make gin!. :-)

Really? They are an ingredient in many pate and venison recipes,
marinades, etc., and make an interesting ice-cream! You may
have some difficulty finding a recipe for the latter (without
quinine or equivalent), so you would have to what I did and
invent one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-03-2015, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/03/2015 13:33, Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Broadback wrote:

The only sensible way to use them is to make gin!. :-)

Really? They are an ingredient in many pate and venison recipes,
marinades, etc., and make an interesting ice-cream! You may
have some difficulty finding a recipe for the latter (without
quinine or equivalent), so you would have to what I did and
invent one.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I always thought the Quinine was in the tonic, not the gin. :-))

Old 15-03-2015, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Broadback wrote:

The only sensible way to use them is to make gin!. :-)

Really? They are an ingredient in many pate and venison recipes,
marinades, etc., and make an interesting ice-cream! You may
have some difficulty finding a recipe for the latter (without
quinine or equivalent), so you would have to what I did and
invent one.

I always thought the Quinine was in the tonic, not the gin. :-))

It is, nor did I imply that it wasn't. My point stands. Many of
the less clueful food writers can't think of the two separately.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-03-2015, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 11:37:46 +0000 (GMT),
Nick Maclaren wrote:
My question is, how do I handle the berries to be able to use them in
the kitchen?
-) Have they been picked too early anyway, as you have to wait for
september or october, normally

(...)

They almost certainly won't ripen once picked. I have no idea
what green ones are like, but a quick Web search indicates that
they can be used for flavouring, just like ripe ones, but are less
interesting.

Your online resources are better than mine. This is just the information
I need.

You have nothing to lose by trying them!

I have to try with a little more berries the next time, anyway, and just
add the greens to the black ones that I bye.., also more salt.

“The Book” by John Seymour (“The New Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency”
for the others) does say a few words about berries in general but omits
these important details. It's a mystery...

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

TY.

Michael

Old 16-03-2015, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/03/2015 11:28, Michael Uplawski wrote:
Having learned that we had begun
producing our own “sauerkraut” (don't tell me that you have no other
word for that)

Well, I've heard it called "Kimchi"... but it's not something the
English make.

Andy
Old 16-03-2015, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 15/03/2015 11:28, Michael Uplawski wrote:
Having learned that we had begun
producing our own “sauerkraut” (don't tell me that you have no other
word for that)

Well, I've heard it called "Kimchi"... but it's not something the
English make.

Er, sauerkraut and kimchi are not even remotely the same.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Elaeagnus - are the berries poisonous? Earth Mother United Kingdom 4 09-04-2009 10:40 AM
Juniper or Yew Berries - What Do They Need to Germinate? Frogleg Gardening 0 27-09-2004 02:14 PM
planting blue rug juniper and blue star juniper sams Gardening 1 24-04-2004 01:02 PM
holly berries hayley United Kingdom 9 31-03-2003 02:44 AM
Cotoneaster - remove old berries? MainAt Bonsai 0 20-03-2003 05:44 AM