Old 17-03-2015, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Root trainers

I have never used what I believe are known a "root trainers" - I have
previously just used seed trays with cells in.

Do people use the seed trainers? - I can see it would be an advantage to be
able to open them to remove the root balls of various seedlings. (I've just
transplanted some tomatoes into 3" pots and for some reason struggled a bit as
the damp compost came away from the seedlings as I removed them from the
ordinary plastic seed cells - must have been the compost as I have not had the
problem in previous years)

So: do people use them - are they worthwhile - do you use good quality ones
which can be used year after year - or just get thin cheap ones which can be
thrown once used?

(I can see an advantage in growing seeds in coir - as I guess there will be
less root disturbance when transplanted - do people do this much?)
Old 17-03-2015, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith in England" wrote

[...]

Yes, used them for many years. Eventually they do break along the hinge but
if you are careful they last many years. I use them for seed sowing of
beans, tomatoes, chillies, all brassicas, most things actually. They come in
different lengths so I use the 7 inch for runners and the 5 inch for most
other things.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 25-03-2015, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 17:27:40 -0000, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Judith in England" wrote

[...]

Many thanks = I will give them a go.

New root from an external root? Mike Orchids 10 01-01-2005 07:34 PM
[IBC] Crasulla - Jade - To root prune or not to root prune Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 0 29-04-2003 01:32 AM
root rot bb Orchids 4 08-02-2003 01:49 PM
Root pruning David in Liverpool Orchids 2 31-01-2003 01:14 AM
[IBC] root theory 101 Steve Wolfinger Bonsai 3 27-01-2003 04:26 AM