Old 04-04-2015, 01:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Good to see the group is still going

Although it seems to be slowing down a bit.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/04/15 01:57, Road_Hog wrote:
Although it seems to be slowing down a bit.

That's not surprising - I guess that many of us are inexorably moving
towards the time when the only gardening we'll be doing is "pushing up
the daisies" . :-)

But not quite yet...

--

Jeff
Old 04-04-2015, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote

Road_Hog wrote:
Although it seems to be slowing down a bit.

That's not surprising - I guess that many of us are inexorably moving
towards the time when the only gardening we'll be doing is "pushing up the
daisies" . :-)

But not quite yet...

That is true and the younger or newer internet users use web based mail so
don't even know about mail and news programs and how to configure them.
Those of us that have been around for a while had to learn to configure such
programs. Of course such programs don't work well on tablets and smaller
screens.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Although it seems to be slowing down a bit.

That's because the mindless chatterati departed to facebook/twitter and
now the only people left posting here are the urg gardeners.

Janet
Old 04-04-2015, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote
lordsmith says...

Although it seems to be slowing down a bit.

That's because the mindless chatterati departed to facebook/twitter and
now the only people left posting here are the urg gardeners.

Often the case but neither Facebook nor especially Twitter need to be like
that, it all depends who you are friends with on Facebook and who you follow
on Twitter.
My wife is on Facebook and she is friends with some relatives and a few real
friends some of whom we had lost touch with a bit over the decades. Couple
of the relative keep reposting (sharing) others posts which can be annoying
but otherwise it's fine. It's a bit more difficult personally to un-friend
someone on Facebook.
With Twitter it's very easy to un-follow someone who is getting on your
nerves as some have with me because they post too many times each day or
post pointless chatter. I follow various nurseries, the RHS, RBG Kew,
Latour-Marliac and some similar organisations and get some interesting info
and links from them.
You just have to be circumspect in who you befriend/follow.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 22:54:10 Bob Hobden wrote:

It's a bit more difficult personally to un-friend someone on Facebook.

But is it possible? I don't use Facebook much but there is one of my
"friends" who posts a dozen or more soppy messages every day and I would
rather not have Facebook telling me this!

David

Old 05-04-2015, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/5/2015 4:59 AM, David Rance wrote:
On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 22:54:10 Bob Hobden wrote:

It's a bit more difficult personally to un-friend someone on Facebook.

But is it possible? I don't use Facebook much but there is one of my
"friends" who posts a dozen or more soppy messages every day and I would
rather not have Facebook telling me this!

You can turn off notifications, and you can 'unfollow' people, so that
their posts don't appear in your newsfeed (without un-friending them).

Old 05-04-2015, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

It's a bit more difficult personally to un-friend someone on Facebook.

But is it possible? I don't use Facebook much but there is one of my
"friends" who posts a dozen or more soppy messages every day and I would
rather not have Facebook telling me this!

According to Facebook.......

"To unfriend someone:

Go to that person's profile
Hover over the Friends button at the top of their profile
Select Unfriend

Note: If you choose to unfriend someone, you'll be removed from that
person's friends list as well. If you want to be friends with this person
again, you'll need to send a new friend request. "

They also say that they, the ex-friend, will not get a specific notification
only that you will be removed from their "friend" list too.
So if they happen to notice and kick up about it you can always plead
ignorance, "how did that happen?" :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2015-04-04 21:54:10 +0000, Bob Hobden said:

"Janet" wrote
lordsmith says...

[...]

Waving happily, Bob! ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 05-04-2015, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 5 Apr 2015 12:44:55 Bob Hobden wrote:

"David Rance" wrote

Bob Hobden wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that, Bob. I'll give it a go!

David