GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Clematis armandii RIP (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/211380-clematis-armandii-rip.html)

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 05-04-2015 12:42 PM

Clematis armandii RIP

Damn. I put one NOT against a wall, because I don't have any
walls large enough, and last winter did for it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jeff Layman[_2_] 06-04-2015 08:11 AM

Clematis armandii RIP

On 05/04/15 12:42, Nick Maclaren wrote:
Damn. I put one NOT against a wall, because I don't have any
walls large enough, and last winter did for it.

Is it definitely dead underground, too?

A couple of years ago I put in a C. armandii Hendersonii rubra. The
first year it looked like it was going south, with some sort of dieback
(not clematis wilt). But it recovered last year with a few flowers. This
year it is smothered in them.

--

Jeff

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 06-04-2015 10:41 AM

Clematis armandii RIP

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

Damn. I put one NOT against a wall, because I don't have any
walls large enough, and last winter did for it.

Is it definitely dead underground, too?

A couple of years ago I put in a C. armandii Hendersonii rubra. The
first year it looked like it was going south, with some sort of dieback
(not clematis wilt). But it recovered last year with a few flowers. This
year it is smothered in them.

Dunno, but I don't think that one shoots from the base. I have
cut it back, and shall see what happens, but am not optimistic.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Sacha[_11_] 06-04-2015 11:00 AM

Clematis armandii RIP

On 2015-04-05 16:07:53 +0000, Martin said:

On Sun, 5 Apr 2015 12:42:06 +0100 (BST), (Nick
Maclaren) wrote:

Damn. I put one NOT against a wall, because I don't have any
walls large enough, and last winter did for it.

Ours survived again. They against a trellis away from a wall.

It's a bit tender so a cold snap might do it in, as will cold winds. In
chilly gardens, it could probably do with some frost protection.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 06-04-2015 11:26 AM

Clematis armandii RIP

In article ,
On 2015-04-05 16:07:53 +0000, Martin said:

Damn. I put one NOT against a wall, because I don't have any
walls large enough, and last winter did for it.

Ours survived again. They against a trellis away from a wall.

It's a bit tender so a cold snap might do it in, as will cold winds. In
chilly gardens, it could probably do with some frost protection.

Yup. My garden is cold and windy, but it was really far too much
for any of the wall spaces I have. And this winter, we had several
spells of cold winds ....

Interestingly, both Holboellia and Stauntonia were fine - largely
deciduous, but the stems have survived and are shooting. Also,
the former suckers from the roots - and how :-( - but neither
flower here, the former because of spring frosts.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

sacha 06-04-2015 01:19 PM

Clematis armandii RIP

In article ,
On 2015-04-05 16:07:53 +0000, Martin said:

Damn. I put one NOT against a wall, because I don't have any
walls large enough, and last winter did for it.

Ours survived again. They against a trellis away from a wall.

It's a bit tender so a cold snap might do it in, as will cold winds. In
chilly gardens, it could probably do with some frost protection.

Yup. My garden is cold and windy, but it was really far too much
for any of the wall spaces I have. And this winter, we had several
spells of cold winds ....

Interestingly, both Holboellia and Stauntonia were fine - largely
deciduous, but the stems have survived and are shooting. Also,
the former suckers from the roots - and how :-( - but neither
flower here, the former because of spring frosts.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Our outdoor Holboellia seems to be bomb-proof and has taken everything
the weather throws at it. It might take a bit longer to flower but back
it comes, every year.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 08-04-2015 09:45 AM

Clematis armandii RIP

Maclaren) wrote:

Damn. I put one NOT against a wall, because I don't have any
walls large enough, and last winter did for it.

Ours survived again. They against a trellis away from a wall.

It's a bit tender so a cold snap might do it in, as will cold winds. In
chilly gardens, it could probably do with some frost protection.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I always think cold wind is more of a problem than frost with this one, I
have with regret stopped growing it because of what it did each summer,
still miss it in the spring though!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Kath[_2_] 12-04-2015 08:12 PM

Clematis armandii RIP

On Mon, 6 Apr 2015 10:41:35 +0100 (BST), (Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:

Damn. I put one NOT against a wall, because I don't have any
walls large enough, and last winter did for it.

Is it definitely dead underground, too?

A couple of years ago I put in a C. armandii Hendersonii rubra. The
first year it looked like it was going south, with some sort of dieback
(not clematis wilt). But it recovered last year with a few flowers. This
year it is smothered in them.

Dunno, but I don't think that one shoots from the base. I have
cut it back, and shall see what happens, but am not optimistic.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Mine came off the wall when I 'accidentally' pulled it. (Ithought I had hold of something
else). It was down to 1 stem but has recovered. It behaves like ivy, in that it grows low
down and then finds something to climb up after a few years. I do not cover it. It is in a
draughty space by the garage but does get full sun.

Kath

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 14-04-2015 12:50 PM

Clematis armandii RIP

In article ,
Martin wrote:

My daughter who lives on the N Staffs Cheshire border has a Clematis Armandii in
flower. Like our one it grows up against a south facing trellis fence, not a
wall. I think it is one we gave her which we imported from NL. I know she had
one that didn't survive the first winter too

This was not its first winter - just the first one with any frost worthy
of the name. And my garden is a cold and windy one, for some bizarre
reason.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.