Old 21-04-2015, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Apple and pear trees - requirements for pollenattion

I've often read that one needs to plant more than one apple tree in one's
garden to maximise fertilisation. I presume the same thing apply to pear
trees, yes?

If so, should each of the two pear trees be of differing stains or the same
strain?

Can pollen from an apple tree pollenate a pear tree and vice versa?

(I already have two apple trees and would like to plant a single par tree,
ideally. I don't know of any other pear trees in the immediate vicinity.

Thanks...
Al

Old 21-04-2015, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
AL_n wrote:

Can pollen from an apple tree pollenate a pear tree and vice versa?

No.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-04-2015, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote

I've often read that one needs to plant more than one apple tree in one's
garden to maximise fertilisation. I presume the same thing apply to pear
trees, yes?

If so, should each of the two pear trees be of differing stains or the same
strain?

Can pollen from an apple tree pollenate a pear tree and vice versa?

(I already have two apple trees and would like to plant a single par tree,
ideally. I don't know of any other pear trees in the immediate vicinity.

This is from the Ken Muir site......

Pear varieties are separated into pollination groups according to when they
flower, starting with the earliest flowering varieties as group A, group B a
little later and so on. Varieties within the same pollination group will
usually cross pollinate one another because they flower at the same time.
Varieties in adjacent pollination groups will also serve as pollinators for
one another because in most seasons there is sufficient overlap of pollen
resulting from an overlap in the flowering period.

So you need to find out which group your tree is and then get another
different variety in the same group. Same thing applies to apples.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 21-04-2015, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/04/2015 18:25, Bob Hobden wrote:
"AL_n" wrote

[...]

You might find these of use.

http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/garde...ion-pear-trees
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/pdfs/a...linationgroups

David @ a still sunny side of Swansea bay

Old 22-04-2015, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/04/2015 19:33, David Hill wrote:
[...]

It is also worth noting that unless you are in a particularly sparsely
populated area in all probability unless you have particularly rare
varieties there will be trees near enough to be used by the insects that
are using yours.

Old 23-04-2015, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote in message
I've often read that one needs to plant more than one apple tree in one's
garden to maximise fertilisation. I presume the same thing apply to pear
trees, yes?

If so, should each of the two pear trees be of differing stains or the
same
strain?

Can pollen from an apple tree pollenate a pear tree and vice versa?

(I already have two apple trees and would like to plant a single par tree,
ideally. I don't know of any other pear trees in the immediate vicinity.

Thanks...
Al

Apples can not pollinate pears, but if you chose a self fertile variety you
can get a crop with just one tree, you will nearly always get a better crop
with a cross pollinator but pears are prolific croppers so usually you have
more than enough anyway!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 23-04-2015, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/04/2015 12:41, Broadback wrote:
[...]

So far only diploid (needing two pollinators) apples/pears have been
discussed. It is also worth mentioning that Bramley apple trees are
triploid, meaning that they need three trees for pollination. Bramley
is a fairly well known case, but there may be others.
--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London