Old 04-05-2015, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hand Pump

Good morning, all.

On Sun, 03 May 2015 21:13:17 +0100,
Vir Campestris wrote:

My experience is with much smaller distance to the water. I sail boats,
and there's a saying "The best pump is a frightened man with a bucket".
We have a few small pumps for getting water out of the bottom of boats.
When there's only a few cm a bucket wouldn't work; but they seem to need
a lot of effort for not much water.

Your uses are probably those that the plastic-pump is meant for. I
phoned the company and the manager instantaneously recommended a rotary
pump. Unfortunately, the remaining ten units that they sell, are rather
rudimentarily equipped and I need advice from a local expert before I
can decide.

In the video on the Unipump web-site, they enlarge on the fact that they
pump up half a liter with each movement, and up to 1.80m. As said, I
should foresee distances between 4 and about 6 meters, with a maximum
depth of 7.4m, in case of a serious drought. Anything lower can be
pumped by submergeable pumps, only.

At those depth I cannot but fear for the plastic leaver... At the price
that the pumps are sold for, I completely understand why there are no
maintenance needs to be expected. You rather buy a new one, directly, in
case of trouble. Also, as the tubes are fitted permanently, it is
probably downright impossible to do whatever passes as “repair-work”
with these pumps.

There's probably a good reason why village wells seem to have pumps - I
imagine the big ones are better than a bucket and rope.

I had to install a new winch twice in two years. This is mostly due to
my own inexperience with that “technology” (the user-interface is
lacking documentation). Being exposed to the weather and after heavy
use, both, the shaft and the old chain were completely worn out, when I
arrived. I have lost a bucket in the well, which I could get out again,
easily, but also some utilities which are still there...

There is another serious problem with open wells. I do not have
children, but there are many in the family... Most probably, my current
installation of a metal sheet and two heavy oak-beams to cover the well,
is completely illegal. Should be, actually.

Michael

Andy

--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
Old 04-05-2015, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/05/2015 11:31, Chris Hogg wrote:
You'd be surprised. But transom flaps and self-balers are probably
more appropriate if the dinghy's full.

Absolutely. But the pumps are in the rescue boats!

Andy
Old 04-05-2015, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/05/2015 11:25, Martin wrote:
A good village pump can pump a bucket full on each stroke.

That'll be a good reason for having one. I suspected there was a god
reason for them!

Andy

Where to find hand pump for well? Zootal[_3_] Gardening 10 26-04-2008 04:38 AM
Teens and Abortion; Hand in Hand?: Is It the Answer? Michael Calwell Ponds 12 20-05-2005 03:00 AM
Hand water pump Lee United Kingdom 12 04-07-2003 05:09 PM
pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world) Brian White sci.agriculture 24 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
pulser pump video (Simplest pump in the world) Oz sci.agriculture 13 18-02-2003 06:42 AM