Old 29-04-2015, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rampion

This is supposed to be the pinnacle of root vegetables, but its
roots seem to be 1/4" in diameter, 1-2" long and twisty. Maybe
I grew them badly, but they aren't huge. They were tasty and
crunchy, though, as well as easy to peel.

It's young leaves are good in salads (like lamb's lettuce) and it
makes a good boiled vegetable in the spring. Not bitter, and much
tastier than lamb's lettuce. But it is a real pain to prepare,
because of the way it grows and its small leaves.

In summary, as excellent as John Evelyn and others said - if you
have an ample sufficiency of kitchen wenches to do the preparation.
But I don't think that I shall bother again.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.