Old 03-05-2015, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant ID

This is an evergreen shrub or perhaps sub-shrub about 120 cm high in
flower now. The flowers are about 25 - 30 mm long, maybe 40 mm if you
include the stamens and style.

I thought that it might be a correa, but those have 4 petals and 8
stamens. This flower has 5 petals and 5 stamens.

http://tinypic.com/r/25qulxl/8

--

Jeff
Old 04-05-2015, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/05/15 14:10, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 04 May 2015 12:43:45 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Sun, 03 May 2015 09:37:35 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

This is an evergreen shrub or perhaps sub-shrub about 120 cm high in
flower now. The flowers are about 25 - 30 mm long, maybe 40 mm if you
include the stamens and style.

I thought that it might be a correa, but those have 4 petals and 8
stamens. This flower has 5 petals and 5 stamens.

http://tinypic.com/r/25qulxl/8

One of the Billardiera's, possibly B. longiflora (aka Purple
Appleberry)? Five petals, and I think somewhere I read eight stamens,
but I can't now find the link to that for confirmation. Australian
plants but they're generally described as climbers or scramblers. Not
hardy in the UK AIUI, but OK in a cool greenhouse, I gather.

Correction: Billardiera's have five stamens. This isn't yours, but it
gives petal and stamen numbers http://tinyurl.com/oaq9bbj

Thanks for the ID attempt. I had a look earlier, and the flowers have
changed a little - the petals are now quite reflexed, and the stamens
and style have elongated. The whole flower is now about 55 - 60 mm long.
The stamens are about 20 - 25 mm long. As far as I can tell, the flowers
have no scent. The plant doesn't look as though it should be hardy, but
it suffered no damage at all over winter (several frosts to -4 or 5℃).

--

Jeff
Old 06-05-2015, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I thought it had the look of Cuphea but I don't grow them so not sure of
which species

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 06-05-2015, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Take a look at Correa backhouseiana - looks a bit like it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 06-05-2015, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Interesting idea, but it's not a Cuphea. I grow C. blepharophylla every
year, and have previously grown C. viscosissima. The main thing about
cuphea flowers is that they are zygomorphic. They also have a different
number of stamens from my plant - usually 11 but can range from 6 to 14.
Mine has 5.

--

Jeff

Old 06-05-2015, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Sacha, but it's not a Correa - see my OP for petal and stamen
numbers.

When (if!) I find out what it is I'll post the answer.

--

Jeff
Old 07-05-2015, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I am reliable told its Vestia foetida, and I am cross with myself as I knew
that name, it just wouldn't come!

Old 07-05-2015, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/05/15 08:03, Charlie Pridham wrote:

Thanks for the ID attempt. I had a look earlier, and the flowers have
changed a little - the petals are now quite reflexed, and the stamens and
style have elongated. The whole flower is now about 55 - 60 mm long. The
stamens are about 20 - 25 mm long. As far as I can tell, the flowers have
no scent. The plant doesn't look as though it should be hardy, but it
suffered no damage at all over winter (several frosts to -4 or 5℃).

--

Jeff

I thought it had the look of Cuphea but I don't grow them so not sure of
which species

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

I am reliable told its Vestia foetida, and I am cross with myself as I knew
that name, it just wouldn't come!

Give that man the prize! Thank you, Charlie. I had early on considered
it might be one of the Solanaceae, but the family is so diverse that
trying to identify the plant on the internet was just not on.

I just went out and had a smell of a crushed leaf. I wouldn't call it
particularly hooter unfriendly, but maybe the weather is still a bit
cool. The leaves of a Clerodendrum trichotomum nearby also aren't as
smelly as they usually seem to be.

A few years ago I asked a Japanese work colleague if he could send me
some seeds of Paederia scandens (now P. foetida), as the flowers looked
interesting. Big mistake - it was a lot hardier than I thought, never
flowered, and absolutely stunk if you crushed the leaves or stems. It
was also fairly resistant to glyphosate, but I disposed of it in the
end. I know you are particularly interested in climbers, but this is one
to be avoided!

--

Jeff