GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fruit cages (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/211535-fruit-cages.html)

audgriff 07-05-2015 12:21 PM

Fruit cages

I intend building a fruit cage but am wondering what size mesh is needed. I want to keep the birds off but allow bees etc easy access.

David Hill 07-05-2015 10:02 PM

Fruit cages

On 07/05/2015 12:21, audgriff wrote:
I intend building a fruit cage but am wondering what size mesh is
needed. I want to keep the birds off but allow bees etc easy access.

I'd buy fruit cage netting/Bird netting
http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/...-Net-PRDR-PN2/

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 08-05-2015 08:14 AM

Fruit cages

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 07/05/2015 12:21, audgriff wrote:
I intend building a fruit cage but am wondering what size mesh is
needed. I want to keep the birds off but allow bees etc easy access.

I'd buy fruit cage netting/Bird netting
http://www.lbsgardenwarehouse.co.uk/...-Net-PRDR-PN2/

That's what I have, no problems with bees getting through and it lasts for
years

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 08-05-2015 08:52 PM

Fruit cages

In article ,
says...

I intend building a fruit cage but am wondering what size mesh is
needed. I want to keep the birds off but allow bees etc easy access.

Not strictly an answer to your question, but make sure that
you can remove the roof during the winter, especially if your
located in the countryside and/or high up!

Snow accumulations on a roof can totally wreck your cage, I
speak for experience.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales