Old 11-05-2015, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default another orchid query

What do you think of this?
My daughter visited a lady who had a lot of orchids (phals).
They were all looking healthy and most in flower.
She keeps them standing in tepid water!!!
Old 11-05-2015, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote ...

What do you think of this?
My daughter visited a lady who had a lot of orchids (phals).
They were all looking healthy and most in flower.
She keeps them standing in tepid water!!!

If the roots are permanently wet they rot, so I would imagine she only has a
saucer of water under each plant, the plants are in a very free draining
compost (large bark chips?) and probably in one of the orchid pots that has
a raised bottom. I can see that working as it would give the roots high
humidity without too much wet and if the plant wants more water it will send
a root or two down into the water, a Vanilla Orchid I've got did that.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.