Old 12-05-2015, 12:50 PM
Registered User

Angry At war

It will be a reluctant decrelation of war using slug pellets.

How good is the copper tape to ward off slugs and snailsMy beans and peas were devestated by them last year they had a good feast at my expense eating 24 bean plants and 28 pea plants.
I'm reluctant to use slug pellets even the so called wild life safe ones. Beer is a no no. My thoughts this year is a bed of bramble/rose thorns with each bean and pea plant in 4" sq x 5" high off cuts of drain pipe sticking the copper tape to the out side in a double band to stop the big ones arching over the strip.
I've tried eggshells, grit and the b....rs still eat them. Slug pellets are the very last resort as I think all living things ,no matter they are pests, should have a right to life unless its preparing to eat me. I wish hedgehogs were around here I'd make a couple of hides for them to winter and they would cure my problem, But been here in Worthing West Sussex and have only seen one in 11 yrs.Used to have a toad he/she's gone too.
Thanks Bob
Old 12-05-2015, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default At war

Good evening.

I come in from the garden and the slug problem will occupie me during
the coming weeks.

On Tue, 12 May 2015 13:50:21 +0200,
Charlie2 wrote:

I wish hedgehogs were around here I'd make a couple of hides for them
to winter and they would cure my problem

Not certain. You would need many hedgehogs, not because the would not
like your slugs, but because each hedghog manages an impressively big
territory. It does serve you every now and then, when it passes by your
garden. You can make it stay a little longer by spreading some dry cat
and dog food, but that would also be a little counter-productive, I
guess...

Used to have a toad he/she's gone too.

We got many toads and I still wait to see one eat a slug. They appear to
give precedence to flying insects, though. One of them will be waiting
each evening outside our glazed door, as it knows for two or three
seasons already, that there will be flies on the pane... so it waits. We
leave and enter, the toad just sits there, getting fatter I don't know
how. The winter was not too hard, I believe it will return now.

Opt for the Feramol pellets. I do and even accept the quarrels with my
wife about that. Feramol-Slugs disappear quickly with etarnal
indigestion and thus will hardly be a risk to the other animals who
would eat them. I do not give much, though, for the slogans.

What I *want* to do against the slugs is, present them on an elevated
device to the birds. As soon as I have improved my first design, that
allowed too many slugs to escape, I hope to train the birds by keeping
the installation at the always same place... and yes. By refilling it
manually. Nothing is perfect.

Michael

Thanks Bob

--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]
Old 13-05-2015, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Years ago I took part in an anti-slug trial for the Organic Gardening
magazine and was given a roll of copper tape. I had to put 2 strips,
one above the other, round pots. The day I found a slug on the side of
a pot between the two strips I gave up on that idea.
I've since discovered that the strips need to be close enough so that
the slug touches both strips as it crawls up and thus gets the
electric shock. I have not tried this however!
Old 13-05-2015, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

It will be a reluctant decrelation of war using slug pellets.

This year I am trying garlic.
I bought some garlic powder and I sprinkle it around susceptible
plants. So far my hostas and other things are slug free. I must keep
it up!
Old 13-05-2015, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

It will be a reluctant decrelation of war using slug pellets.

This year I am trying garlic.
I bought some garlic powder and I sprinkle it around susceptible
plants. So far my hostas and other things are slug free. I must keep
it up!

Slugs and snails seem to be late this year so the delphiniums I planted
last Autumn have hopefully got a head start.
The thing I hate most is that the slime they leave kills young plants
even if they haven't munched on them

Old 13-05-2015, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie2" wrote in message

[...]

Re concider using the pellets based on Ferric Phosphate ("Ferramol" ) they
are very effective, harmless to birds and mammels and dont leave lots of
dead and dieing slugs around as they just cause them to stop eating. you
dont need many. I believe they are OK for the organic growers to use as
well.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

--
Charlie2

Old 13-05-2015, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 May 2015 08:41:07 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

Years ago I took part in an anti-slug trial for the Organic Gardening
magazine and was given a roll of copper tape. I had to put 2 strips,
one above the other, round pots. The day I found a slug on the side of
a pot between the two strips I gave up on that idea.
I've since discovered that the strips need to be close enough so that
the slug touches both strips as it crawls up and thus gets the
electric shock. I have not tried this however!

On a plastic or ceramic pot you need copper tape and steel tape. That
works like a battery cell and produces a tiny electric shock. I use a
similar method to stop squirrels stealing from the bird feeder. The
pole is metal and so sticking copper strips every few inches from top
to bottom produces a few volts. Most squirrels climb up the pole but
change their minds before they get up the bird feeder. There is also a
big plastic disc (LP) to get in their way if they manage to get over
the electrics. There is just one squirrel who can jump onto the feeder
from high up a nearby tree. It's so good to watch that I allow it a
few peanuts!

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 13-05-2015, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 May 2015 11:43:58 +0200, Martin wrote:

wrote:

Years ago I took part in an anti-slug trial for the Organic Gardening
magazine and was given a roll of copper tape. I had to put 2 strips,
one above the other, round pots. The day I found a slug on the side of
a pot between the two strips I gave up on that idea.
I've since discovered that the strips need to be close enough so that
the slug touches both strips as it crawls up and thus gets the
electric shock. I have not tried this however!

On a plastic or ceramic pot you need copper tape and steel tape. That
works like a battery cell and produces a tiny electric shock. I use a
similar method to stop squirrels stealing from the bird feeder. The
pole is metal and so sticking copper strips every few inches from top
to bottom produces a few volts.

Only when the pole is wet?

It produces the highest voltage after it has dried a bit it is still
damp. I actually extended my meter leads once so I could measure the
voltage. It was nearly 6 volts.

Most squirrels climb up the pole but
change their minds before they get up the bird feeder. There is also a
big plastic disc (LP) to get in their way if they manage to get over
the electrics. There is just one squirrel who can jump onto the feeder
from high up a nearby tree. It's so good to watch that I allow it a
few peanuts!

We bought a bird feeder that closes when anything heavier than a small bird
tries to feed from it. We don't have squirrels, but we do have a large number of
jackdaws. So far only one jackdaw has worked out how to get food from it.
http://www.amazon.com/Perky-Pet-339-...Z52RYPQZ547 0

I like jackdaws but we don't see many. We do get a raven occasionally
for a real treat! I am told ravens come here from Liverpool.

We also have one of these
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fallen-Fruit.../dp/B0047TZYY2

It works well too.

One of my carers brought me one those to try but I don't like the look
of it.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

Old 13-05-2015, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:

[...]

We have one of these and it works very well, the weight of the squirrel
closes the feeding ports but you can still have a bird at each of the 4
ports without it closing. The lid locks on too.

http://www.savethe.co.uk/squirrel-buster-classic

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Hysterical right wingers and war William Barwell sci.agriculture 0 30-03-2003 12:32 PM
US pulls back from food war with Europe Marcus Williamson sci.agriculture 33 27-03-2003 11:08 AM
Hysterical right wingers and war William Barwell sci.agriculture 0 24-02-2003 03:20 AM
OT financing the war K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 02:16 AM
here's an interesting idea for those of you who don't want war with J Kolenovsky Gardening 0 31-01-2003 12:55 AM