GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Dumb strimmer question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/211591-dumb-strimmer-question.html)

Flynno 16-05-2015 04:10 PM

Dumb strimmer question

Hi

I've ressurected an old Black & Decker GL330 bump-feed strimmer

Can't so far get the bump-feed to work ...

Q: what way should I be winding the strimmer line on to the spool -
clockwise or anti-clockwise?

The spool housing spins anti-clockwise

TIA

Roger Tonkin[_2_] 16-05-2015 07:55 PM

Dumb strimmer question

In article ,
says...

Hi

I've ressurected an old Black & Decker GL330 bump-feed strimmer

Can't so far get the bump-feed to work ...

Q: what way should I be winding the strimmer line on to the spool -
clockwise or anti-clockwise?

The spool housing spins anti-clockwise

TIA

Not sure on that make/model but the ones I've had have an arrow
on the spool to show you which way to wind it.

HTH

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Jeff Layman[_2_] 17-05-2015 08:58 AM

Dumb strimmer question

On 16/05/15 19:55, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article ,
says...

Hi

I've ressurected an old Black & Decker GL330 bump-feed strimmer

Can't so far get the bump-feed to work ...

Q: what way should I be winding the strimmer line on to the spool -
clockwise or anti-clockwise?

The spool housing spins anti-clockwise

TIA

Not sure on that make/model but the ones I've had have an arrow
on the spool to show you which way to wind it.

HTH

I got a Qualcast double-line strimmer last year, and there was an arrow
on the spool. Trouble is, it was only on the top. It seems a bit
counter-intuitive to wind both lines the same way, but that is indeed
the correct way.

Oh, and don't waste your money on cheap replacement line; get decent stuff.

--

Jeff

Flynno 17-05-2015 12:35 PM

Dumb strimmer question

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Hi

I've ressurected an old Black & Decker GL330 bump-feed strimmer

Can't so far get the bump-feed to work ...

Q: what way should I be winding the strimmer line on to the spool -
clockwise or anti-clockwise?

The spool housing spins anti-clockwise

TIA

Not sure on that make/model but the ones I've had have an arrow
on the spool to show you which way to wind it.

HTH

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Old spool - any markings long since worn off ....

Jeff Layman[_2_] 17-05-2015 01:33 PM

Dumb strimmer question

On 17/05/15 12:35, Flynno wrote:

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Hi

I've ressurected an old Black & Decker GL330 bump-feed strimmer

Can't so far get the bump-feed to work ...

Q: what way should I be winding the strimmer line on to the spool -
clockwise or anti-clockwise?

The spool housing spins anti-clockwise

TIA

Not sure on that make/model but the ones I've had have an arrow
on the spool to show you which way to wind it.

HTH

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Old spool - any markings long since worn off ....

Download the GL300 manual he
http://service.blackanddecker.co.uk/...?CatalogID=236

The parts diagram on page 10 shows which way the strimmer line is wound.

--

Jeff

Flynno 17-05-2015 02:14 PM

Dumb strimmer question

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 17/05/15 12:35, Flynno wrote:

[...]

That's looking like anti-clockwise for that model?

Another John 17-05-2015 04:34 PM

Dumb strimmer question

In article ,
"Flynno" wrote:

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Download the GL300 manual he
http://service.blackanddecker.co.uk/...?CatalogID=236

The parts diagram on page 10 shows which way the strimmer line is wound.

Jeff

That's looking like anti-clockwise for that model?

.... as it says in the manual on page 7.

J.

Flynno 18-05-2015 11:33 AM

Dumb strimmer question

"Another John" wrote in message
]...
In article ,
"Flynno" wrote:

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Download the GL300 manual he
http://service.blackanddecker.co.uk/...?CatalogID=236

The parts diagram on page 10 shows which way the strimmer line is
wound.

Jeff

That's looking like anti-clockwise for that model?

... as it says in the manual on page 7.

J.

As you say ...

Thanks for all the help here!

David Hill 18-05-2015 12:33 PM

Dumb strimmer question

"Flynno" wrote:

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Download the GL300 manual he

http://service.blackanddecker.co.uk/...?CatalogID=236

The parts diagram on page 10 shows which way the strimmer line is
wound.

Jeff

That's looking like anti-clockwise for that model?

... as it says in the manual on page 7.

J.

As you say ...

Thanks for all the help here!

I just wonder if some lubrication is needed?

Wilkes, Andy[_2_] 18-05-2015 02:18 PM

Dumb strimmer question

On 18/05/2015 12:33, David Hill wrote:

I just wonder if some lubrication is needed?

Most generous. I'll have an epint, please

--
regards andy

David Hill 18-05-2015 05:57 PM

Dumb strimmer question

"Flynno" wrote:

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Download the GL300 manual he

http://service.blackanddecker.co.uk/...?CatalogID=236

The parts diagram on page 10 shows which way the strimmer line is
wound.

Jeff

That's looking like anti-clockwise for that model?

... as it says in the manual on page 7.

J.

As you say ...

Thanks for all the help here!

I just wonder if some lubrication is needed?

er ... where?

Well for the thing to work the centre drum has to revolve for the line
to cut, and to release the line it also has to be able to move down and
up when you tap it on the ground.
If these things don't happen for you then you are in trouble.

alan_m 19-05-2015 09:50 PM

Dumb strimmer question

On 16/05/2015 16:10, Flynno wrote:
Hi

I've ressurected an old Black & Decker GL330 bump-feed strimmer

Can't so far get the bump-feed to work ...

Q: what way should I be winding the strimmer line on to the spool -
clockwise or anti-clockwise?

The spool housing spins anti-clockwise

TIA

A few instruction videos on Youtube.

Christina Websell 31-05-2015 08:33 PM

Dumb strimmer question

"Wilkes, Andy" wrote in message
On 18/05/2015 12:33, David Hill wrote:

I just wonder if some lubrication is needed?

Most generous. I'll have an epint, please

--
regards andy

Lol! you beat me to it..

Tina