Old 18-05-2015, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I'm looking for a low, flowering ground cover plant which is happy in the shade

I'm looking for a low, flowering ground cover plant which is happy in the
shade - any ideas ?

TIA,

Colin...

Old 18-05-2015, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CocoGibbo" wrote

I'm looking for a low, flowering ground cover plant which is happy in the
shade - any ideas ?

Depends how deep the shade is but I planted an Epimedium under a Camellia
tree and it took over.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 19-05-2015, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/05/15 19:40, CocoGibbo wrote:
I'm looking for a low, flowering ground cover plant which is happy in the
shade - any ideas ?

TIA,

Colin...

Maybe consider Rubus tricolor. It's not really grown for its flowers
(although it does have them - and fruits, too), but the stems and
evergreen leaves are very attractive.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/16150/...icolor/Details

--

Jeff
Old 19-05-2015, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/05/2015 18:49, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 18/05/15 19:40, CocoGibbo wrote:
I'm looking for a low, flowering ground cover plant which is happy in the
shade - any ideas ?

TIA,

Colin...

Maybe consider Rubus tricolor. It's not really grown for its flowers
(although it does have them - and fruits, too), but the stems and
evergreen leaves are very attractive.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/16150/...icolor/Details

Yes, it will grow in deep shade, partial shade full sunlight, infact it
will grow anywhere it wants to.
It's a thug. It roots everywhere it touches and also from bird dropped
seed from the fruit.
I'd rather have ivy, it's easier to keep in check.
I'd have a look at some of the hardy geraniums, they will take shade,
low water levels and are not invasive. Go for the older varieties such
as Johnsons blue and there are a couple of old pink varieties, tough as
old boots, but flower well.
Old 19-05-2015, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/05/2015 21:09, David Hill wrote:
[...]

This is one of the pinks I was thinking about
http://www.paghat.com/geraniumoxonianum.html