Old 27-05-2015, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default picture sharing site

Can anyone tell me which is the easiest site on which to publish
pictures. I set one up years ago on a previous computer but can no
longer remember how I did it!
If I had ny old XP computer I'd probably have it still!!!
I'm struggling with W7.
Old 27-05-2015, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote:

Can anyone tell me which is the easiest site on which to publish
pictures. I set one up years ago on a previous computer but can no
longer remember how I did it!

If you already have a google account (e.g. for gmail, or an android
phone) you can use Picasa Web Albums

https://picasaweb.google.com/?noredirect=1

Or Flickr?

Plenty of others, but the "low end" sites like imgur, tinypic and
photobucket are a painfully full of adverts, flash and even malware, so
best avoided.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_photo-sharing_websites

Old 27-05-2015, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/05/15 21:02, Pam Moore wrote:
Can anyone tell me which is the easiest site on which to publish
pictures. I set one up years ago on a previous computer but can no
longer remember how I did it!
If I had ny old XP computer I'd probably have it still!!!
I'm struggling with W7.

Flickr IME - has all the features and uploading and editing (that's
tagging/titling etc rather than hard core image editing) is pretty easy.
Old 27-05-2015, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me which is the easiest site on which to publish
pictures. I set one up years ago on a previous computer but can no
longer remember how I did it!
If I had ny old XP computer I'd probably have it still!!!
I'm struggling with W7.

I am with Flickr and agree with you windows 7 and 8 are rubbish, hopefully
10 will soon be out and it is said it will be a free upgrade for windows 7 &
8 users!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 28-05-2015, 07:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/05/15 23:13, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Can anyone tell me which is the easiest site on which to publish
pictures. I set one up years ago on a previous computer but can no
longer remember how I did it!
If I had ny old XP computer I'd probably have it still!!!
I'm struggling with W7.

I am with Flickr and agree with you windows 7

7? That was the last of the less rubbish windows versions.

and 8 are rubbish,
hopefully 10 will soon be out and it is said it will be a free upgrade
for windows 7 & 8 users!

Linux is free and works a hell of a lot better

Old 28-05-2015, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote

"Pam Moore" wrote
Can anyone tell me which is the easiest site on which to publish
pictures. I set one up years ago on a previous computer but can no
longer remember how I did it!
If I had ny old XP computer I'd probably have it still!!!
I'm struggling with W7.

I am with Flickr and agree with you windows 7 and 8 are rubbish, hopefully
10 will soon be out and it is said it will be a free upgrade for windows 7
& 8 users!

I use and find Flickr easy and intuitive, you get an "Uploader" program
which makes it a simple case of drag and drop and it's done. Getting them
into a "Set" (one file) is not that difficult either so you keep all the
photos on one subject or date together.

As for your comments on Win 7, I find it very good, certainly much better
that Vista and Win 8.1 on a desktop, and on a par with XP for ease of use.
That said Win 8.1 works well on a tablet or phone because they are touch
screen (which is the key to Win 8.1).
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 28-05-2015, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/05/15 08:43, Martin wrote:

Linux is free and works a hell of a lot better

In what way?

Updates takes minutes not 10's of minutes upwards (OK I am comparing to
Windows Server 2008 which I run a few instanced of at work).

Less hackery and malware;

Free (beer and speech);

Installation is quicker (Mint install takes about 10-15 minutes and is
ready with a load of applications from the get go;

Can boot a "live" version from a USB stick to try without installing;
(http://www.linuxmint.com/)

Current versions tend to run better on lower specc'd hardware compared
to current Windows versions;

GUI Desktop is just a component, so choose for heavy and pretty (eg KDE)
to medium and Windows 95 like (XFCE4) to absolutely insanely minimal (eg
Ratpoison)

I could go on
Old 28-05-2015, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/05/15 08:46, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Charlie Pridham" wrote

"Pam Moore" wrote
Can anyone tell me which is the easiest site on which to publish
pictures. I set one up years ago on a previous computer but can no
longer remember how I did it!
If I had ny old XP computer I'd probably have it still!!!
I'm struggling with W7.

I am with Flickr and agree with you windows 7 and 8 are rubbish,
hopefully 10 will soon be out and it is said it will be a free upgrade
for windows 7 & 8 users!

I use and find Flickr easy and intuitive, you get an "Uploader" program
which makes it a simple case of drag and drop and it's done. Getting
them into a "Set" (one file) is not that difficult either so you keep
all the photos on one subject or date together.

Yes - I like the Albums feature - and it is easy to share albums (or not
share specific albums) either to the general public (they do not need to
log in) or to specific people with a guest share link.

It's generally quite well thought out.

Old 30-05-2015, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 28 May 2015 09:51:33 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

On 28/05/15 08:43, Martin wrote:

Linux is free and works a hell of a lot better

In what way?

Updates takes minutes not 10's of minutes upwards (OK I am comparing to
Windows Server 2008 which I run a few instanced of at work).

Less hackery and malware;

Free (beer and speech);

Installation is quicker (Mint install takes about 10-15 minutes and is
ready with a load of applications from the get go;

Can boot a "live" version from a USB stick to try without installing;
(http://www.linuxmint.com/)

Current versions tend to run better on lower specc'd hardware compared
to current Windows versions;

GUI Desktop is just a component, so choose for heavy and pretty (eg KDE)
to medium and Windows 95 like (XFCE4) to absolutely insanely minimal (eg
Ratpoison)

I could go on

Yes - you missed off:

Difficult for the average domestic user to install and use.

Old 30-05-2015, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/05/15 08:43, Martin wrote:

[...]

Compared to Windows? You jest!

Old 30-05-2015, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 28/05/15 08:43, Martin wrote:

[...]

I thought one needed a Phd in computer science to run Linux. Hasn't one got
to learm a whole new set of complex unix type commands, just to get the PC
to basically run as in DOS , let alone figure out how to get a GUI Windows
type system to run. I had a look in a Teach Yourself Linux type book once
and gave up after reading several pages. Just horrendously complicated.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote

"Pam Moore" wrote
[...]

I was perhaps a bit harsh lumping 7 with the truly awful 8, I used 7 only
briefly, probably not long enough to get used to it before passing the
laptop to daughter its replacement has windows 8 but does not have a touch
screen and is beyond irritating to use!

Old 01-06-2015, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 18:21:32 +0200, Martin wrote:

Anybody using Win7 or Win8 can have a free upgrade top Win10 when it is released
later this year. Release date isJuly/August 2015 according to rumours

Just this morning I had a message from Microsoft inviting me to
register to get a free upgrade to Win10.

----

Gardening on Wilts/Somerset border
on slightly alkaline clay underlying soil worked for many decades.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote

cotula wrote:

, Martin wrote:

Anybody using Win7 or Win8 can have a free upgrade top Win10 when it is
released
later this year. Release date isJuly/August 2015 according to rumours

Just this morning I had a message from Microsoft inviting me to
register to get a free upgrade to Win10.

A "Get Windows 10" icon has appeared on the toolbar of my Win7 PC. If I
click
the icon, I am invited to reserve a copy. When Win10 is released a 3GB
upgrade
will be installed.

Luckily I have a Windows tablet with 8.1 and will certainly update that to
Win 10 as soon as possible as I also will my phone. I will then see how it
works before deciding whether to "upgrade" my Win 7 desktop.
I know two people who bought new Laptops with Win 8 and because both were
non touchscreen devices they have both found them almost unusable. One has
bought an iPad and uses that instead and the other now only uses her laptop
about once a week (so emails to her are now next to useless) and hates it
with a passion.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

I know two people who bought new Laptops with Win 8 and because both were
non touchscreen devices they have both found them almost unusable. One has
bought an iPad and uses that instead

Should have spent a couple of quid on Start8 which makes Win8 usable,
rather than a few hundred on a iThing ...

Great Gardening Site Worth Sharing Ethan Meadow Gardening 0 05-11-2007 12:39 AM
Best photo sharing site? Gareee© Ponds (moderated) 5 09-07-2007 07:00 AM
Sharing pond pics ... Chi Tran Ponds 9 29-03-2003 06:20 AM
Lawn problem picture on freebie web site -- that's all! Kevin Miller Gardening 0 18-03-2003 06:32 PM
Orchids in the Kitchen window - Thanks for sharing your pics profpam Orchids 2 25-02-2003 04:39 AM