Old 28-05-2015, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Query: Wild flower meadow

Am I right in thinking that the time to sow wild flower seeds is late
summer, when the natural plants would be producing seed?

And where is the best place to buy such seed in quantity and get it
delivered?

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 28-05-2015, 01:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message
Am I right in thinking that the time to sow wild flower seeds is late summer, when the
natural plants would be producing seed?

And where is the best place to buy such seed in quantity and get it delivered?

Yes, many wildflower species need to stratify over winter before they
will germinate. If you want a colourful meadow of such species as
poppy, corn marigold, cornflower, mayweed etc., you will need to
disturb the ground every autumn for the flowers to re-appear the
following year. If you require perennial wildflower meadow,
consider growing some species in pots and transplanting them
into the meadow once it has established. Wildflower seeds will
not flourish on ground with a high nutrient level so if your ground is
high in nutrients, consider regular mowing and removal of all cut
grass for two or three years before sowing seed. It is also an advantage
to ask for additional yellow rattle seed to be included as this is a
parasite on grass.

In my experience the best supplier of wildflower seed and mixtures
is John Chambers Wildflower Seed www.johnchamberswildflowers.co.uk
alternatively you could contact Emorsgate Seeds www.wildseed.co.uk. They
may be more expensive but they do have the royal warrant for supply to
Prince Charles.

Phil

Old 28-05-2015, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/05/15 12:17, philgurr wrote:
[...]

Phil, thanks for that. Sounds like a longterm project. I'll try John
Chambers, I think. I avoid Chazza when I can!

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 28-05-2015, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message
On 28/05/15 12:17, philgurr wrote:
"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message
Am I right in thinking that the time to sow wild flower seeds is late summer, when the
natural plants would be producing seed?

And where is the best place to buy such seed in quantity and get it delivered?

Yes, many wildflower species need to stratify over winter before they
will germinate. If you want a colourful meadow of such species as
poppy, corn marigold, cornflower, mayweed etc., you will need to
disturb the ground every autumn for the flowers to re-appear the
following year.

SNIP
In my experience the best supplier of wildflower seed and mixtures
is John Chambers Wildflower Seed www.johnchamberswildflowers.co.uk
alternatively you could contact Emorsgate Seeds www.wildseed.co.uk. They
may be more expensive but they do have the royal warrant for supply to
Prince Charles.

Phil, thanks for that. Sounds like a longterm project. I'll try John Chambers, I think.
I avoid Chazza when I can!

Ancient wildflower meadows have taken 500 years to reach prime
condition, the shortest time that you should consider is 20 years -
but that is no reason not to do it! BTW Prince Charles is a really
nice person, sounds like you are taking a media diagnosis.

Phil

Old 01-06-2015, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/05/15 17:00, philgurr wrote:

BTW Prince Charles is a really
nice person, sounds like you are taking a media diagnosis.

If you really want to know the sort of media I trust, you should read
the 30 May 2015 edition of the New Scientist, page 26, article by Edzard
Ernst, Professor of Medecine, on how Prince Charles is wrong to support
homeopathy etc.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old 01-06-2015, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message
On 28/05/15 17:00, philgurr wrote:

BTW Prince Charles is a really
nice person, sounds like you are taking a media diagnosis.

If you really want to know the sort of media I trust, you should read the 30 May 2015
edition of the New Scientist, page 26, article by Edzard Ernst, Professor of Medecine,
on how Prince Charles is wrong to support homeopathy etc.

I note your enthusiastic support for a foreign criticism of the opinion
of one of the members of our royal family. I also noted the lack of
any thanks for the detailed information that I gave you - don't bother
to flount your republican views to me again.
PLONK
Phil

Old 02-06-2015, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/06/15 17:29, philgurr wrote:
"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message

I also noted the lack of
any thanks for the detailed information that I gave you - don't bother
to flount your republican views to me again.
PLONK
Phil

Quote in my reply to your info: "Phil, thanks for that."

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org