Old 01-06-2015, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Recommend a screening shrub/low tree?

I need to screen a garden from a road, but not with a hedge, i was thinking
a large quick growing evergreen bush that will remain clothed down to the
ground and grow to a height of about 3m?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Steve
Old 01-06-2015, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viburnum_tinus
Old 01-06-2015, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Mr Sandman wrote:

I need to screen a garden from a road, but not with a hedge, i was thinking
a large quick growing evergreen bush that will remain clothed down to the
ground and grow to a height of about 3m?

That's just a loose hedge. The quickest solution (assuming that you
are in a relatively warm part of the country) is a 'fedge'. Put up
some posts with (say) pig-netting, and grow climbers up it.

Chris Hogg is correct, no matter how you do it. One method that works
is a fedge with quick-growing climbers and some slower-growing shrubs
in front. When the latter have grown, remove the fedge.

What plants are suitable will depend on where you are. If you are
in a bothy up a Highland mountainside, there are no evergreen twining
climbers and damn few evergreen hedging plants. If in the south of
England, you are spoiled for choice.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mr Sandman" wrote in message
o.uk...
I need to screen a garden from a road, but not with a hedge, i was thinking
a large quick growing evergreen bush that will remain clothed down to the
ground and grow to a height of about 3m?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Steve

You would be better off using shrubs that are used for hedging because what
ever you plant you will at some point wish to cut it back as nothing comes
with an "Off switch" Eleagnus x ebingii has some nice coloured leaved forms
as do the non prickly hollies,

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 01-06-2015, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 01 Jun 2015 13:44:46 +0100, David Hill wrote:

On 01/06/2015 13:25, Mr Sandman wrote:
I need to screen a garden from a road, but not with a hedge, i was
thinking a large quick growing evergreen bush that will remain clothed
down to the ground and grow to a height of about 3m?

Any suggestions?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viburnum_tinus

Viburnum tinus would be spectacular, but you'd want to start with pretty
big plants, no? Or maybe it grows fast under more favourable
circumstances than I've seen.

How about something like Elaeagnus x ebbingei? I have one that's yellow
and green variegated, it's a good grower and makes a thick screen.

-E

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 02-06-2015, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/06/2015 19:58, Chris Hogg wrote:
On 1 Jun 2015 17:21:35 GMT, Emery Davis wrote:

How about something like Elaeagnus x ebbingei? I have one that's yellow
and green variegated, it's a good grower and makes a thick screen.

-E

I have two short and one long hedge of E. ebbingei. Yes it is a fast
grower. I usually cut mine mid to late summer. By late autumn, say
after three months, it has put out long straggly growths of up to four
feet. The following year I take three feet off the top, again, every
year, let alone what comes off the sides. The variegated ones such as
'Gilt Edge', 'Coastal Gold' and 'Limelight' may be a bit less
vigorous. Tiny white flowers, scented. I'm not sure they're totally
hardy.

The scent is a good bonus with E. ebingii, really very pleasant and will
waft quite a way on a warm day, I find. I have the plain green version
which does grow relatively fast and seems as tough as old boots on our
light soil, giving a sort of silvery green effect, especially the
younger growth. The flowers are quite tiny and not particularly
noticeable so the lovely scent always catches us out every year as a
nice surprise.

--
Sue

Old 03-06-2015, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks all for your suggestions, plenty to look at the-)

Cheers

Steve