Old 03-06-2015, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wher have all the swallows gone?

Is it me or are they very late this year? Mind I can't say I blame them
with the weather we are having.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/3/2015 4:27 PM, Broadback wrote:
Is it me or are they very late this year? Mind I can't say I blame them
with the weather we are having.

We've had swallows here for the past month (north coast of Scotland).
Old 03-06-2015, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote
Is it me or are they very late this year? Mind I can't say I blame them
with the weather we are having.

There was one sitting on the telephone wire across our allotment site on
Monday, it looked a bit tired too. It is the only one I've seen this year,
likewise I've not yet seen a Swift (although I have heard them) and no House
Martins either.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote:

Is it me or are they very late this year? Mind I can't say I blame them
with the weather we are having.

Swallows, like much of our wildlife are in severe and serious longterm
decline in the UK and much of the rest of Europe. There'll be ups and
downs from year to year, caused by many factors but overall, numbers are
declining and, it the long term, it looks set to continue.

Hedgehogs, for example, are threatened with extinction in the UK.

There are a number of causes but, ultimately, it all comes back to a
single cause - us.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/06/2015 06:40, Larry Stoter wrote:
Broadback wrote:

Is it me or are they very late this year? Mind I can't say I blame them
with the weather we are having.

Swallows, like much of our wildlife are in severe and serious longterm
decline in the UK and much of the rest of Europe. There'll be ups and
downs from year to year, caused by many factors but overall, numbers are
declining and, it the long term, it looks set to continue.

Hedgehogs, for example, are threatened with extinction in the UK.

There are a number of causes but, ultimately, it all comes back to a
single cause - us.

It's not us.
It's them (The other people)