Old 05-06-2015, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New mown grass for mulch

I've googled, and the consensus seems to be that it's OK to use new mown
grass clippings to mulch beds.

To add to the "wisdom" of the Net, does anyone here have practical
experience of doing this?

The situation is a new-made perennials border, where the soil is made up
of double-dug clayey soil that had been under turf, mixed in with a
certain amount of soil conditioner, and old rotted down turf (i.e. dry
granular soil). The bed seems to want "body", at present, and dries out
too readily imho in the wind (and rare sun).

Cheers
John
Old 05-06-2015, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ],
Another John wrote:
I've googled, and the consensus seems to be that it's OK to use new mown
grass clippings to mulch beds.

To add to the "wisdom" of the Net, does anyone here have practical
experience of doing this?

A little. It is certainly OK, but do spread them thinly, as thickish
layers turn into silage. It didn't find it was terribly effective,
so I compost mine now. My soil is sandy, so not quite the same.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Another John" wrote in message
]...
I've googled, and the consensus seems to be that it's OK to use new mown
grass clippings to mulch beds.

To add to the "wisdom" of the Net, does anyone here have practical
experience of doing this?

The situation is a new-made perennials border, where the soil is made up
of double-dug clayey soil that had been under turf, mixed in with a
certain amount of soil conditioner, and old rotted down turf (i.e. dry
granular soil). The bed seems to want "body", at present, and dries out
too readily imho in the wind (and rare sun).

Cheers
John

Been doing it for close to 30 years, aim for about 1" depth

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 05-06-2015, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

All: fab -- thanks a lot for the positive encouragement!

John

Old 06-06-2015, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Good morning from Normandy, heavy soil, former pastures.

On Fri, 05 Jun 2015 16:38:35 +0100,
Another John wrote:
I've googled, and the consensus seems to be that it's OK to use new mown
grass clippings to mulch beds.

I am using cut grass on most beds. Not on all, as the experience shows
that you must adapt the technique each time to the kind of culture and
other influences.

So, thick layers of cut lawn between our lines of barley, rather thick
layers around our cabbages and Chard, a little mulching around the
Mashua (Tropaeolum tuberosum). The carrots are still too low to be
mulched, but they will get a good layer, as will the leek.

I accept it that thick layers of cut grass can rot underneath, if the
vegetables don't mind, eather.

No mulching whatsoever for strawberries and lettuce, as it attracts the
voles. They appear to be less annoying on the other beds or my
associations were actually intelligent enough to discourage them.
Inside the greenhouse, however, tomatos, melons AND salads are mulched.
I have not yet any voles, there.

No mulching (for the time) for the potatos, onions or garlick. They do
probably not need it anyway.

Cheerio,
Michael

--
Location: Lower Normandy (Orne), France
GnuPG/OpenPGP 4096R/3216CF02 2013-11-15 [expires: 2015-11-15]