GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   training squash (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/211685-training-squash.html)

Tim w 10-06-2015 09:25 AM

training squash

Greetings. I haven't been here for many years but have questions for you
vegetable experts.

I am resolved to grow squash and courgettes and have a selection of
healthy seedlings Courgettes will go in the ground but space is limited
so I thought to grow a couple of squash up the Sth facing wooden fence
on strong trellis/battens. Can I do this with any squash, or is it
particular varieties? I have Butternut, Yellow scalloped and Patty Pan
ready to go.

I will need to tie on - how do I tie something so heavy? and maybe pinch
out, or not?

Tim w

Nick Maclaren[_3_] 10-06-2015 09:37 AM

training squash

In article , Tim w wrote:

Greetings. I haven't been here for many years but have questions for you
vegetable experts.

I am resolved to grow squash and courgettes and have a selection of
healthy seedlings Courgettes will go in the ground but space is limited
so I thought to grow a couple of squash up the Sth facing wooden fence
on strong trellis/battens. Can I do this with any squash, or is it
particular varieties? I have Butternut, Yellow scalloped and Patty Pan
ready to go.

Squashes are naturally climbers, but many modern varieties have been
grown to have a bush habit; only the former can be grown that way.
My guess is that it would work with butternut (I grow Tromboncino
d'Albenga, the same species). I don't know the others, as I don't
like them much.

I will need to tie on - how do I tie something so heavy? and maybe pinch
out, or not?

Tie a net on and let them grow in that. One of the ones used to
hold fruit and vegetables in supermarkets might do. You need to
pinch them out, because trailing squashes can grow 10 metres long
if allowed to.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.