GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Flower identification (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/211760-flower-identification.html)

Dave Moore[_2_] 25-06-2015 03:32 PM

Flower identification

A flower has appeared in my garden which appears to be a Sea Holly. However,
the flower is red, and all other examples I've seen online are blue.

Does anyone know if a red Sea Holly does in fact exist, or could it be
another plant, resembling the Sea Holly?

Thank you for any help.

Dave

Dave Moore[_2_] 25-06-2015 03:42 PM

Flower identification

A photo of the flower can be found he

https://www.flickr.com/photos/298736...posted-public/

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Dave

Stephen Wolstenholme[_5_] 25-06-2015 03:43 PM

Flower identification

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 15:32:12 +0100, "Dave Moore"
wrote:

A flower has appeared in my garden which appears to be a Sea Holly. However,
the flower is red, and all other examples I've seen online are blue.

Does anyone know if a red Sea Holly does in fact exist, or could it be
another plant, resembling the Sea Holly?

Thank you for any help.

Dave

The only ones I can find are artificially coloured.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Janet 25-06-2015 03:52 PM

Flower identification

In article ,
says...

A photo of the flower can be found he

https://www.flickr.com/photos/298736...posted-public/

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Dave

It's not a sea holly, the leaves aren't rigid enough. More like a
scabious or knautia macedonica.

Janet

Chris J Dixon 25-06-2015 04:00 PM

Flower identification

Dave Moore wrote:

"Dave Moore" wrote in message
A flower has appeared in my garden which appears to be a Sea Holly.
However, the flower is red, and all other examples I've seen online are
blue.

Does anyone know if a red Sea Holly does in fact exist, or could it be
another plant, resembling the Sea Holly?

A photo of the flower can be found he

https://www.flickr.com/photos/298736...posted-public/

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Could it be a crimson scabious? The photo is rather blurred.

http://www.perennials.com/plants/kna...acedonica.html

http://www.mygardenlife.com/plant-li...tia/macedonica

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.

Stewart Robert Hinsley[_3_] 25-06-2015 04:45 PM

Flower identification

"Dave Moore" wrote in message
A flower has appeared in my garden which appears to be a Sea Holly.
However, the flower is red, and all other examples I've seen online are
blue.

Does anyone know if a red Sea Holly does in fact exist, or could it be
another plant, resembling the Sea Holly?

Thank you for any help.

Dave

As has already been noted, it's a scabious (Dipsacaceae) not a sea-holly
(Apiaceae). It might be Knautia macedonica or it might be Scabiosa
atropurpurea. When the flowers open you can the number of petals. (That
distinguishes Knautia arvensis from Scabiosa columbaria, and I assume
also distinguihes Knautia macedonica from Scabiosa atropurpurea.)

--
SRH