GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Prizehook (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/211791-prizehook.html)

Pam Moore[_3_] 29-06-2015 04:35 PM

Prizehook

I've picked up some malware or something. It came when I opended
Dave's pictures about his visitor, and I thought I'd got rid of it
but up it popped again when I opened jmileman's picture.
The common denominator seems to be photobucket.
Please can anyone tell me how to search and destroy this thing.
When this happens I'm stumped.

Andy Burns[_4_] 29-06-2015 04:39 PM

Prizehook

Pam Moore wrote:

I've picked up some malware or something. It came when I opended
Dave's pictures about his visitor, and I thought I'd got rid of it
but up it popped again when I opened jmileman's picture.
The common denominator seems to be photobucket.
Please can anyone tell me how to search and destroy this thing.
When this happens I'm stumped.

I don't think you've *necessarily* picked up any malware, it might
simply be a pop-up that is loaded each time you visit photobucket.

Since photobucket doesn't charge most users, they force adverts onto
people viewing things on the "free" service.

If you're seeing the pop-up at any other time (not when you visit
photobucket) then might be worth running malwarebytes.

RG[_3_] 01-07-2015 02:05 PM

Prizehook

On 29/06/2015 16:35, Pam Moore wrote:
I've picked up some malware or something. It came when I opended
Dave's pictures about his visitor, and I thought I'd got rid of it
but up it popped again when I opened jmileman's picture.
The common denominator seems to be photobucket.
Please can anyone tell me how to search and destroy this thing.
When this happens I'm stumped.

According to the web reports, this will be only an advertisement to suck
you in.
But if you follow the ads to their website and sign up you will be
trapped into a permanent £4.50 a week subscription. If it looks like a
scam, and smells like a scam, ...

--
RG

Stephen Wolstenholme[_5_] 01-07-2015 02:24 PM

Prizehook

On Wed, 01 Jul 2015 14:05:35 +0100, RG wrote:

On 29/06/2015 16:35, Pam Moore wrote:
I've picked up some malware or something. It came when I opended
Dave's pictures about his visitor, and I thought I'd got rid of it
but up it popped again when I opened jmileman's picture.
The common denominator seems to be photobucket.
Please can anyone tell me how to search and destroy this thing.
When this happens I'm stumped.

According to the web reports, this will be only an advertisement to suck
you in.
But if you follow the ads to their website and sign up you will be
trapped into a permanent £4.50 a week subscription. If it looks like a
scam, and smells like a scam, ...

I had a quick browse through the website and it look like a scam as it
is a difficult to terminate subscription service.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com