GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rhubarb query3 (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/211804-rhubarb-query3.html)

Malcolm Race[_2_] 02-07-2015 11:54 AM

Rhubarb query3

Jumping on the bandwagon, Can anyone suggest whi my well establishe
rhubarb root (about 6 crowns) is prone to flowering every spring? I
pick until about this time of year and then leave it to build up for
next year.

I have read that some plants will flower when in distress to ensure
continuation of the species.

Any advive?

Malcolm
On the outh coast between Portsmouth and Southampton on an alkaline clay
based soil

Janet 02-07-2015 04:12 PM

Rhubarb query3

In article , says...

Jumping on the bandwagon, Can anyone suggest whi my well establishe
rhubarb root (about 6 crowns) is prone to flowering every spring?

Because making babies is what every rhubarb clump is genetically
programmed to do. Mine does it every year, I just pull off the flowering
spikes.

Janet

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 03-07-2015 09:08 AM

Rhubarb query3

"Malcolm Race" wrote in message
Jumping on the bandwagon, Can anyone suggest whi my well establishe
rhubarb root (about 6 crowns) is prone to flowering every spring? I pick
until about this time of year and then leave it to build up for next year.

I have read that some plants will flower when in distress to ensure
continuation of the species.

Any advive?

Malcolm
On the outh coast between Portsmouth and Southampton on an alkaline clay
based soil

As per Janet's reply but just adding that the various named clones are
different in the way they behave, ours has never flowered but next door have
a different clump (not a bit of ours) and theirs is always trying to flower.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs