Old 11-07-2015, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plastic Garden Sheds - Does Anyone Have Experience of Them ?

I'm looking to purchase a new garden shed as my wooden one is past it.

I was thinking of buying a plastic one as a replacement.

Does anyone have a plastic shed, & if so what are your thoughts on them ?

TIA,

Colin...

Old 11-07-2015, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 11:19:58 +0100, "CocoGibbo"
wrote:

I'm looking to purchase a new garden shed as my wooden one is past it.

I was thinking of buying a plastic one as a replacement.

Does anyone have a plastic shed, & if so what are your thoughts on them ?

TIA,

Colin...

I had a plastic shed at my last but one house. I remember it being a
bit difficult to assemble and looked "out of place" until it got
weathered. It cost less than a similar sized wooden shed. So far as I
know it's still at the same place I left it.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software for Windows http://www.npsnn.com

EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 11-07-2015, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I'm looking to purchase a new garden shed as my wooden one is past it.

I was thinking of buying a plastic one as a replacement.

Does anyone have a plastic shed, & if so what are your thoughts on them ?

I bought a Keter 4ft x 6ft one about 6 years ago as an overflow shed ,
seems the nearest is now called the Factor 4 x 6
http://www.keter.com/products/factor-46
and has some steel strengthening which my model (Apex?) did not have.
Assemby was easy.
Build quality seems reasonable and it has survived being moved three
times with both partial dismantling and moving it whole methods being
used. You do need a firm foundation as the plastic floor is thin and
needs firm support everywheren. the shed will lean over eventually
if there is a weakness in support.
As bought there is limited capacity for shelfs etc and heavy items can
cause problems. I solved this with some wooden framing inside that
took loads straight to the floor which in my case is a foundation of
plastic pallets so that too is rot proof.
The present model may not need this.
When I bought it was on offer , the price now for one may be a bit
expensive but it doesn't have too be painted,though when new it did
look a bit too much like a Portaloo so toned it down with some green
fence paint, the trees it lives under have finished the job nicely
since and it blends in well.
I have looked at some other plastic sheds out of curiosity in DIY
places and some do seem very flimsy.

G.Harman
Old 11-07-2015, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/07/2015 11:30, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

I had a plastic shed at my last but one house. I remember it being a
bit difficult to assemble and looked "out of place" until it got
weathered. It cost less than a similar sized wooden shed. So far as I
know it's still at the same place I left it.

I purchased a small one around 15+ years ago. It is the type with
corrugated plastic green sheet bolted with nylon bolts to an internal
aluminium angle frame. It's around 2 metres long x 1 metre wide x 2
metres high. It came as a flat pack and as mentioned above it was very
'fiddly' and time consuming to erect. It has served well but now the
plastic is becoming brittle and any knock will puncture it. It now has a
few repairs with waterproof duct tape.

I was concerned that it was light weight and a strong gale may have
dislodged it so after I had erected it I put down a thick plastic sheet
(as used for a damp membrane under solid floors) and poured in a couple
of inches of concrete which holds down the bottom edge of the aluminium
frame and provides a solid floor.

Its also worth considering putting in some wooden battens while being
constructed so that you have something into which you can install wall
hooks for tool storage etc.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for everyone's comments - much appreciated ! :-)

Colin...

Plastic Garden sheds Ann Lancing United Kingdom 3 10-03-2010 03:19 PM
Plastic sheds John Australia 0 12-03-2008 05:25 AM
GÃœRTAN PLASTIC - PLASTIC CRATES,PALLETS and ALL TYPE OF PLASTIC PRODUCTS [email protected] Edible Gardening 0 05-06-2007 08:11 AM
Does anyone have experience dehydrating Chinese vegetables? James Edible Gardening 5 25-09-2006 03:04 PM
Does anyone have any experience with a magnit for string algae? Bampa Ponds 4 17-09-2003 04:06 PM