Old 29-07-2015, 01:42 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

Default Paint for garage door?

My garage door has been red for ages but all the neighbours' are white.
It is starting to show its age, and needs repainting; perhaps now is the
time to change the colour and blend in.

What paint should I use to cover the red - are there any special
tricks I should be aware of? It is an up-and-over type.
Old 29-07-2015, 01:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 29/07/2015 13:42, Judith wrote:
My garage door has been red for ages but all the neighbours' are white.
It is starting to show its age, and needs repainting; perhaps now is the
time to change the colour and blend in.

What paint should I use to cover the red - are there any special
tricks I should be aware of? It is an up-and-over type.

Just don't use anything water based. Low vapour may be an advantage
indoors, but IMO it's solvent based all the way for outdoor jobs.
Old 29-07-2015, 02:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 29/07/2015 13:42, Judith wrote:
My garage door has been red for ages but all the neighbours' are white.
It is starting to show its age, and needs repainting; perhaps now is the
time to change the colour and blend in.

What paint should I use to cover the red - are there any special
tricks I should be aware of? It is an up-and-over type.

Wood or metal? Galvanised or plastic coated? Makes a difference.
Old 29-07-2015, 04:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Judith" wrote in message
My garage door has been red for ages but all the neighbours' are white.
It is starting to show its age, and needs repainting; perhaps now is the
time to change the colour and blend in.

What paint should I use to cover the red - are there any special
tricks I should be aware of? It is an up-and-over type.

If metal, I would suggest a thorough clean off, sanding, clean off again and
Hammerite. One coat should do the job.

Old 01-08-2015, 06:16 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote in message
On 29/07/2015 13:42, Judith wrote:
My garage door has been red for ages but all the neighbours' are white.
It is starting to show its age, and needs repainting; perhaps now is the
time to change the colour and blend in.

What paint should I use to cover the red - are there any special
tricks I should be aware of? It is an up-and-over type.

Just don't use anything water based. Low vapour may be an advantage
indoors, but IMO it's solvent based all the way for outdoor jobs.

Not when doing some stuff like concrete blocks.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:25 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

stuart noble wrote:
On 29/07/2015 13:42, Judith wrote:
My garage door has been red for ages but all the neighbours' are white.
It is starting to show its age, and needs repainting; perhaps now is the
time to change the colour and blend in.

What paint should I use to cover the red - are there any special
tricks I should be aware of? It is an up-and-over type.

Just don't use anything water based. Low vapour may be an advantage
indoors, but IMO it's solvent based all the way for outdoor jobs.

In my opinion not correct,in the main solvent based for anything needing
hard wearing eg. sills, hand rails and things that get touched, but
outside things like timber that get sun are better off with acrylic
paint,(not sure what you call it in the uk,you use funny names for
paint) lasts longer because it is more flexible.

We have mainly acrylic,vinyl latex,oil based (no one ever says emulsion
so I do not know what that is with out googling),
A bit of an idea here.

http://www.paintquality.com.au/QUALITY/index.html
Old 01-08-2015, 09:57 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 01/08/2015 09:25, F Murtz wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
[...]

Here we now just call it "quick drying". The only way you know what it's
based on is to see what it tells you to wash your brushes in.

I have no problem with water based primer/undercoat but the last acrylic
gloss I used you could peel off with your finger nail. Yes, it stays
white but I'm not convinced it won't trap moisture underneath it. IME
microporous it ain't!
Old 01-08-2015, 11:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

On 29/07/2015 13:42, Judith wrote:
My garage door has been red for ages but all the neighbours' are white.
It is starting to show its age, and needs repainting; perhaps now is the
time to change the colour and blend in.

What paint should I use to cover the red - are there any special
tricks I should be aware of? It is an up-and-over type.

Use paint made for the material your door is made of. IMO it's worth
paying extra for a professional-grade brand of paint, and following the
preparation instructions.

I did that job 12 years ago, covering sky blue on an elderly metal up-
and-over garage door using a white gloss paint for outdoor metal work.
The paint job outlasted the door, which fell off its mechanism last year
and had to be replaced.

Janet.