Old 30-07-2015, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grape vine urgent help needed

Grapes have just got grey mould in last two days.
Always been trouble free in previous years.
South facing brick house wall.
Boskoop Glory black eating grape.
All fungicides seem to be withdrawn from sale.
(But please tell me if you know different.)
Any possible action to take?
--
Chris
Old 30-07-2015, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/07/2015 18:44, Chris wrote:
Grapes have just got grey mould in last two days.
Always been trouble free in previous years.
South facing brick house wall.
Boskoop Glory black eating grape.
All fungicides seem to be withdrawn from sale.
(But please tell me if you know different.)
Any possible action to take?

Grey mould is the name normally given to Botritus.
I doubt they have that but I would bet they have Mildew, quite common on
immature grapes and their foliage.
That was one of the main thing treated by lime sulphur in the old days
Old 30-07-2015, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 20:42:38 +0100, David Hill wrote:

That was one of the main thing treated by lime sulphur in the old days

Treat with any copper based product, or bordeaux mixture, like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Agro-Sens-Bo...ncentrated/dp/
B00OUZ3T0O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1438294717&sr=8-3&keywords=bordeaux
+mixture

If the link isn't legible search amazon.co.uk for bordeaux mixture, this
was the 3rd link.

Note not proposing you buy this one! But will give you the idea.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 31-07-2015, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/07/2015 18:44, Chris wrote:
Grapes have just got grey mould in last two days.
Always been trouble free in previous years.
South facing brick house wall.
Boskoop Glory black eating grape.

All fungicides seem to be withdrawn from sale.
(But please tell me if you know different.)
Any possible action to take?

Try Wilkos or search Amazon for copper based fungicide or sulphur. eg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitax-Ltd-Co...dp/B00S1GMC7E/

You will have to mix your own lime sulphur from components but some
copper based fungicides are still available on the shelves.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 31-07-2015, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 18:44:35 Chris wrote:

Grapes have just got grey mould in last two days.
Always been trouble free in previous years.
South facing brick house wall.
Boskoop Glory black eating grape.
All fungicides seem to be withdrawn from sale.
(But please tell me if you know different.)
Any possible action to take?

If it is just on the grapes then it is almost certainly botrytis. Remove
all infected grapes otherwise it will spread. This usually occurs in
warm weather when there has been rain for a long period.

If, however, you find pale patches on the upper side of leaves as well
and underneath there are white patches of mould then you have downy
mildew. This is more serious as, once it has taken hold, then you are
likely to lose the whole crop.

If you have a powdery film all over the leaves then you have powdery
mildew. Treat as for downy mildew.

Vines should be sprayed with bordeaux mixture (and dithane for powdery
mildew if you can still get it) once every two to three weeks from May
onwards until about three weeks before the grapes are ripe, even though
you may not see any evidence of mould. Once you can see it, it's usually
too late, as I know to my cost.

David

Old 31-07-2015, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 10:40:28 +0100, David Rance wrote:

Vines should be sprayed with bordeaux mixture (and dithane for powdery
mildew if you can still get it) once every two to three weeks from May
onwards until about three weeks before the grapes are ripe, even though
you may not see any evidence of mould. Once you can see it, it's usually
too late, as I know to my cost.

There sure is a lot of mould this year, though...

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 31-07-2015, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 16:08:03 Emery Davis wrote:

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 10:40:28 +0100, David Rance wrote:

Vines should be sprayed with bordeaux mixture (and dithane for powdery
mildew if you can still get it) once every two to three weeks from May
onwards until about three weeks before the grapes are ripe, even though
you may not see any evidence of mould. Once you can see it, it's usually
too late, as I know to my cost.

There sure is a lot of mould this year, though...

I drenched my vines in bordeaux mixture a couple of weeks ago. they were
ok then. I'm coming back to Normandy next Thursday (providing the Tunnel
isn't closed) so, fingers crossed, they'll still be ok. I do hope I
don't lose the crop this year as it's a bumper crop and I should be able
to get a record vintage.

David