Old 10-08-2015, 02:21 PM
Registered User

Default Still no runner beans

I am posting this one again as I got no comments the last time but (ah, hah), this time I have photos to show what my problem is. PLEASE can somebody tell me what is going on?

Please see photos and any suggestions would be great. One thing I will mention is that I am growing sweet peas next to the beans and the sweet peas had loads of those flea beetles so wondering if they are the culprits.

There are a couple of very young beans that I can see and I am watching the plants daily to see if I get any more. Very frustrating!
Attached Thumbnails
Still no runner beans-img_0019-001.jpg   Still no runner beans-img_0024.jpg
Old 10-08-2015, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lintama" wrote

I am posting this one again as I got no comments the last time but (ah,
hah), this time I have photos to show what my problem is. PLEASE can
somebody tell me what is going on?

Please see photos and any suggestions would be great. One thing I will
mention is that I am growing sweet peas next to the beans and the sweet
peas had loads of those flea beetles so wondering if they are the
culprits.

There are a couple of very young beans that I can see and I am watching
the plants daily to see if I get any more. Very frustrating!

|Filename: IMG_0019-001.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16342|
|Filename: IMG_0024.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16343|

It's noticeable that there are tiny beans forming from the first flowers yet
all the other flowers are gone. Suspect it's birds pulling off the flowers,
a common problem with red flowered Runners. To overcome it in future years
try the white flowered varieties like White Lady.
I have no idea what you can do this year other than some sort of bird
scarer, E.g. Cds hanging nearby that flash in the breeze.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-08-2015, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lintama" wrote in message

I am posting this one again as I got no comments the last time but (ah,
hah), this time I have photos to show what my problem is. PLEASE can
somebody tell me what is going on?

Please see photos and any suggestions would be great. One thing I will
mention is that I am growing sweet peas next to the beans and the sweet
peas had loads of those flea beetles so wondering if they are the
culprits.

There are a couple of very young beans that I can see and I am watching
the plants daily to see if I get any more. Very frustrating!

|Filename: IMG_0019-001.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16342|
|Filename: IMG_0024.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16343|

It could be birds, as Bob says, but it looks to me as it they have not set.
If you haven't had much rain recently, try misting the flowers every day and
see if that makes a difference. It could (perhaps) also be lack of
pollinating insects so make sure you have bee-friendly plants nearby.

HTH.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/08/2015 16:47, Christina Websell wrote:
"Lintama" wrote in message

I am posting this one again as I got no comments the last time but (ah,
hah), this time I have photos to show what my problem is. PLEASE can
somebody tell me what is going on?

Please see photos and any suggestions would be great. One thing I will
mention is that I am growing sweet peas next to the beans and the sweet
peas had loads of those flea beetles so wondering if they are the
culprits.

There are a couple of very young beans that I can see and I am watching
the plants daily to see if I get any more. Very frustrating!

|Filename: IMG_0019-001.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16342|
|Filename: IMG_0024.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16343|

It could be birds, as Bob says, but it looks to me as it they have not set.
If you haven't had much rain recently, try misting the flowers every day and
see if that makes a difference. It could (perhaps) also be lack of
pollinating insects so make sure you have bee-friendly plants nearby.

HTH.

Looks like dry set to me, give the plants a GOOD soak, and I don't mean
a can of water along a 10 ft row, you want enough water to go down about
12 inches into the ground, about 2 gallons every foot or so, you may
have to go over the ground a few times in an hour to get enough water
down, then a good soak every 3 or 4 days, they don't like dry roots.
Even with the rain we have been having in South Wales I am still
watering my beans.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lintama" wrote in message

I am posting this one again as I got no comments the last time but (ah,
hah), this time I have photos to show what my problem is. PLEASE can
somebody tell me what is going on?

Please see photos and any suggestions would be great. One thing I will
mention is that I am growing sweet peas next to the beans and the sweet
peas had loads of those flea beetles so wondering if they are the
culprits.

There are a couple of very young beans that I can see and I am watching
the plants daily to see if I get any more. Very frustrating!

|Filename: IMG_0019-001.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16342|
|Filename: IMG_0024.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16343|

It could be birds, as Bob says, but it looks to me as it they have not
set.
If you haven't had much rain recently, try misting the flowers every
day and
see if that makes a difference. It could (perhaps) also be lack of
pollinating insects so make sure you have bee-friendly plants nearby.

HTH.

Looks like dry set to me, give the plants a GOOD soak, and I don't mean
a can of water along a 10 ft row, you want enough water to go down about
12 inches into the ground, about 2 gallons every foot or so, you may
have to go over the ground a few times in an hour to get enough water
down, then a good soak every 3 or 4 days, they don't like dry roots.
Even with the rain we have been having in South Wales I am still
watering my beans.

I should have said I doubt you have flee beetles, more likely pollen beetles

Old 11-08-2015, 01:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/08/2015 12:45 AM, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Lintama" wrote

I am posting this one again as I got no comments the last time but (ah,
hah), this time I have photos to show what my problem is. PLEASE can
somebody tell me what is going on?

Please see photos and any suggestions would be great. One thing I will
mention is that I am growing sweet peas next to the beans and the sweet
peas had loads of those flea beetles so wondering if they are the
culprits.

There are a couple of very young beans that I can see and I am watching
the plants daily to see if I get any more. Very frustrating!

|Filename: IMG_0019-001.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16342|
|Filename: IMG_0024.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16343|

It's noticeable that there are tiny beans forming from the first flowers
yet all the other flowers are gone. Suspect it's birds pulling off the
flowers, a common problem with red flowered Runners.

I too was going to say that there was a most distinct and unnatural
looking break in the spot where the flowers had been.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

David Hill wrote:

Looks like dry set to me, give the plants a GOOD soak, and I don't
mean a can of water along a 10 ft row, you want enough water to go
down about 12 inches into the ground, about 2 gallons every foot or
so, you may have to go over the ground a few times in an hour to get
enough water down, then a good soak every 3 or 4 days, they don't
like dry roots. Even with the rain we have been having in South
Wales I am still watering my beans.

That's interesting. I haven't watered my runners in weeks, mainly as I
didn't think they'd need it. Anyway, they're giving a decent enough
crop at the moment, so it can't be too bad!

--
Chris
Old 11-08-2015, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/08/2015 15:45, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Lintama" wrote

I am posting this one again as I got no comments the last time but (ah,
hah), this time I have photos to show what my problem is. PLEASE can
somebody tell me what is going on?

I suspect it has only just become warm enough for them to get going.
Mine are still outclassed by the non-climbing beans. I have had flowers
but no fruit set worth mentioning as yet in North Yorkshire.

Please see photos and any suggestions would be great. One thing I will
mention is that I am growing sweet peas next to the beans and the sweet
peas had loads of those flea beetles so wondering if they are the
culprits.

There are a couple of very young beans that I can see and I am watching
the plants daily to see if I get any more. Very frustrating!

|Filename: IMG_0019-001.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16342|
|Filename: IMG_0024.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16343|

It's noticeable that there are tiny beans forming from the first flowers
yet all the other flowers are gone. Suspect it's birds pulling off the
flowers, a common problem with red flowered Runners. To overcome it in
future years try the white flowered varieties like White Lady.
I have no idea what you can do this year other than some sort of bird
scarer, E.g. Cds hanging nearby that flash in the breeze.

I suspect it has just been too cold this year. Temperature sensitive
plants here are running about three weeks late this year.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 11-08-2015, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/08/2015 08:58, CT wrote:
David Hill wrote:

Looks like dry set to me, give the plants a GOOD soak, and I don't
mean a can of water along a 10 ft row, you want enough water to go
down about 12 inches into the ground, about 2 gallons every foot or
so, you may have to go over the ground a few times in an hour to get
enough water down, then a good soak every 3 or 4 days, they don't
like dry roots. Even with the rain we have been having in South
Wales I am still watering my beans.

That's interesting. I haven't watered my runners in weeks, mainly as I
didn't think they'd need it. Anyway, they're giving a decent enough
crop at the moment, so it can't be too bad!

Mine are in abundant flower, but too early for the beans. How do people
get them so early? Perhaps they live in the effete South.;-)
Old 11-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Registered User

There is a hedge of rather high Leylandii trees only about four feet away and I often hear birds chirping from there. Next year I will have to grown them somewhere else. I hadn't thought about birds as I hadn't seen any birds near the beans but perhaps very early in the morning they are up to no good. I will see if I have some old CDs to hang amongst the bean plants for the rest of the season.

Many thanks Bob for your suggestion. It does make sense.

|Filename: IMG_0019-001.JPG |
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+[/i][/color]

It could be birds, as Bob says, but it looks to me as it they have not set.
If you haven't had much rain recently, try misting the flowers every day and
see if that makes a difference. It could (perhaps) also be lack of
pollinating insects so make sure you have bee-friendly plants nearby.

HTH.[/quote]

Old 11-08-2015, 02:53 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintama View Post
There is a hedge of rather high Leylandii trees only about four feet away and I often hear birds chirping from there. Next year I will have to grown them somewhere else. I hadn't thought about birds as I hadn't seen any birds near the beans but perhaps very early in the morning they are up to no good. I will see if I have some old CDs to hang amongst the bean plants for the rest of the season.

Many thanks Bob for your suggestion. It does make sense.

|Filename: IMG_0019-001.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16342|
|Filename: IMG_0024.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16343|
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+[/i][/color]

It could be birds, as Bob says, but it looks to me as it they have not set.
If you haven't had much rain recently, try misting the flowers every day and
see if that makes a difference. It could (perhaps) also be lack of
pollinating insects so make sure you have bee-friendly plants nearby.

HTH.
[/quote]
Hi, Don't know your name, I did mist them on a few occasions when the flowers developed and we do have a fair amount of flies, bees and other flying beasts around. Had this problem this past three years or so and just maybe the birds are the problem. Next year will be the test. I am still hoping for some beans this year though.
Thank you for your comments. By the way, what exactly does misting the flowers do?
Old 11-08-2015, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote

CT wrote:
David Hill wrote:

Looks like dry set to me, give the plants a GOOD soak, and I don't
mean a can of water along a 10 ft row, you want enough water to go
down about 12 inches into the ground, about 2 gallons every foot or
so, you may have to go over the ground a few times in an hour to get
enough water down, then a good soak every 3 or 4 days, they don't
like dry roots. Even with the rain we have been having in South
Wales I am still watering my beans.

That's interesting. I haven't watered my runners in weeks, mainly as I
didn't think they'd need it. Anyway, they're giving a decent enough
crop at the moment, so it can't be too bad!

Mine are in abundant flower, but too early for the beans. How do people get
them so early? Perhaps they live in the effete South.;-)

Effete? It's been like gardening in a desert here this year, after carting
40 watering cans up the plot each time it gets a bit wearing. Been eating
Runners for a couple of weeks or more but we water them every visit to the
plot as we do the tomatoes and cucurbits.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lintama" wrote

There is a hedge of rather high Leylandii trees only about four feet
away and I often hear birds chirping from there. Next year I will have
to grown them somewhere else. I hadn't thought about birds as I hadn't
seen any birds near the beans but perhaps very early in the morning they
are up to no good. I will see if I have some old CDs to hang amongst
the bean plants for the rest of the season.

Many thanks Bob for your suggestion. It does make sense.

If it is those birds, sparrows usually, then try growing the white flowered
beans (White Lady, Moonlight, etc) which they don't seem to go for, or mix
them like me half red and half white. Even looks prettier if you do a couple
of each alternately. :-)
They also don't appear to go for the salmon flowered bean Celebration.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Lintama" wrote in message

There is a hedge of rather high Leylandii trees only about four feet
away and I often hear birds chirping from there. Next year I will have
to grown them somewhere else. I hadn't thought about birds as I hadn't
seen any birds near the beans but perhaps very early in the morning they
are up to no good. I will see if I have some old CDs to hang amongst
the bean plants for the rest of the season.

Many thanks Bob for your suggestion. It does make sense.

|Filename: IMG_0019-001.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16342|
|Filename: IMG_0024.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16343|

It could be birds, as Bob says, but it looks to me as it they have not
set.
If you haven't had much rain recently, try misting the flowers every day
and
see if that makes a difference. It could (perhaps) also be lack of
pollinating insects so make sure you have bee-friendly plants nearby.

HTH.

Lintama[/i][/color]

Well, there we get to your problem. A hedge of quite high Leylandii four
feet away.
Beans are greedy feeders and need a lot of water which your trees are
denying them.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/08/2015 18:46, Christina Websell wrote:
"Lintama" wrote in message

There is a hedge of rather high Leylandii trees only about four feet
away and I often hear birds chirping from there. Next year I will have
to grown them somewhere else. I hadn't thought about birds as I hadn't
seen any birds near the beans but perhaps very early in the morning they
are up to no good. I will see if I have some old CDs to hang amongst
the bean plants for the rest of the season.

Many thanks Bob for your suggestion. It does make sense.

|Filename: IMG_0019-001.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16342|
|Filename: IMG_0024.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=16343|

It could be birds, as Bob says, but it looks to me as it they have not
set.
If you haven't had much rain recently, try misting the flowers every day
and
see if that makes a difference. It could (perhaps) also be lack of
pollinating insects so make sure you have bee-friendly plants nearby.

HTH.

Lintama

Well, there we get to your problem. A hedge of quite high Leylandii four
feet away.
Beans are greedy feeders and need a lot of water which your trees are
denying them.

[/i][/color]
I'd say that 4ft from a tall leylandii hedge you don't have a hope in
hell of getting a good crop.