Old 18-08-2015, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default (More) Runner Beans

I have seen some people saying that theirs are not doing too well. I have to
admit I think mine are the best they've been for quite a few years. Normally I
grow Red Rum - but this year I grew Moonlight as well - and I think that that
has made a real difference.
I sowed in greenhouse on April 5th. 6 Red Rum I had collected from last year -
and the rest (14) a new packet of Moonlight.
Transplanted out in to a raised bed in May 6th.
I though that I was going to have the same problem which others have seen:
quite a few flowers - but not setting.
BUT: things have really turned round: I have picked just over two pounds each
time every two or three days for the last week.
I have done something else different this year: they are really, really well
watered: automatically every night (see raised bed - soak-away criticism from
earlier). Perhaps that has made the difference.
I think I will grow Moonlight from now on - saying cheers to Red Rum
Old 18-08-2015, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Judith" wrote

[...]

White Lady (white flowered like Moonlight) is good too as is Celebration
which has a nice salmon coloured flower. We plant a few of each together
down the row so we get different coloured stripes. With a red flowered one
too they can make a very pretty and productive backdrop to a flower bed,
Father-in-law used to do that around his garden fence every year.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-08-2015, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Judith" wrote

[...]

Mine have been a disaster. I had to sow them three times as they all failed
and now they are far too late.

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 12:38 PM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 11:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 11:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 05:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 10:32 AM