Old 20-09-2015, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Recommendations please - replacement tree

We just took down a Silver Birch, much to my annoyance. I really miss it.

I am looking for something to replace it, around 5 metres from the house and 4 metres from another surviving silver birch that is around 45 years old and around 5 metres high. Soil is heavyish clay, south Lincolnshire,just off the fens.

Ideally I would like something with an edible crop, be that fruit or nuts, but am having trouble identifying something suitable. I am 65 years old, and want to plant a tree for me, not for some unknown successor. I am quite prepared to pay for summat already 4 metres tall, at least.

1. can anyone suggest something interesting for the spot?

2. Can anyone suggest a tree nursery in the Lincolnshire/Leicestershire/Rutland/Cambridgeshire area who might be prpared to supply and plant a semi-mature specimen of whatever it is that we come up with?
Old 20-09-2015, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, 20 September 2015 11:37:49 UTC+1, wrote:

1. can anyone suggest something interesting for the spot?

2. Can anyone suggest a tree nursery in the Lincolnshire/Leicestershire/Rutland/Cambridgeshire area who might be prpared to supply and plant a semi-mature specimen of whatever it is that we come up with?

Well, I have decided, reluctantly, agains Walnut because it would probably spread too quickly. Wondering about the Wild Service Tree.

Hazels will probably need a partner to pollinate it. Still thinking about that
Old 21-09-2015, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, 21 September 2015 07:06:38 UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:

Depends somewhat on the position, but would a cherry of some sort fill
the bill? You might get some good blossom, maybe fruit, perhaps autumn
colour, and, with something like Prunus serrula, the bark would shine
throughout winter.

interesting. Are they self-fertile, or would they need a pollinator somewhere?

Old 21-09-2015, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Monday, September 21, 2015 at 12:18:54 PM UTC+1, Dave Hill wrote:

Just keep in mind that the other birch is nearing the end of its life,
they are not long lived trees.

Which is another good reason to get something now!
Old 27-09-2015, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sunday, 20 September 2015 22:45:10 UTC+1, wrote:

Well, I have decided, reluctantly, agains Walnut because it would probably spread too quickly. Wondering about the Wild Service Tree.

Hazels will probably need a partner to pollinate it. Still thinking about that

Given up on the wild service tree. We have summat similar in the back (smaller, redder berries, otherwise the same) so I want a bit of variety.

Ok. What can I get that is
* Native
* relatively fast growing
* Upright in habit
And, if possible as a bonus
* produces edible things.

Old 27-09-2015, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:

I would look at an ornamental Crab apple, possibly one of the dark
leafed varieties

That's a several of nominations for crab apple. Thanks all. Will
investigate

Dark leaved, eh?

My other, possibly mad, idea was to create an artwork: 4 identical trees
of matching height. Plant in square of 1.5m sides. Call it Quadrilateral.